Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-06, 09:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I haven't been eating gluten so I wonder if it's even worth the bother and expense, since these tests aren't covered by our health care.

Nope. You'll almost certainly be negative. Definitely go the Enterolab route. Besides you won't have blood test results even if you are on gluten until the damage is very severe.

I've suffered for a week with pretty nasty dairrhea. I finally cut out the sunflower seeds and peanut butter and I've gone 24 hours without a bathroom trip. Also cut out most of my supplements. So... maybe I've found the culprit? Anyway, I made an appt to see my doctor on Saturday.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-06, 11:19
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Sorry to hear that. Maybe something in the supps? Hope you find the answer, regardless. Have you had trouble with PB before, or sunflower seeds? Is it regular PB like Skippy or SF or 'natural' stuff? Man, it's been awhile since I had PB but I only like it on toast, so that's out. Ooooh, and on bananas! Mmmm.

Yes, Enterolab makes more sense. I'd have to pay about $120 for the blood tests - money better spent on better tests. I don't mind putting the cash out for it, since I'm not going to need to do tests such as this very often, if ever again. If the bloating doesn't go down after a couple of months though I may so the egg/soy etc one as well. A bargain at $99!

I'm not going to visit the dietician at my doc's practice - found some articles by her extoling the virtues of canola oil. Yaargh. I'm mainly meat and I don't wanna pay just to argue with someone why saturated fat is just fine, thanks.

Started the yeast killa today. I was going to wait bc I have a function tonight, in case I had weird D or gas or something. But I am impatient.
  #138   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-06, 11:43
Experimenter

BF:

I eat natural PB, have my entire life. But... peanuts are one of those things that a lot of people really don't tolerate well. Hope I am not one. I love PB!

Unfortunately just after I posted my last post, I was in the bathroom again.

Oh yeah, my other suspicion is coffee. Maybe I've become sensitive to it. I've cut back to just 3 cups in the morning. *cry* Probably why I woke up with a huge headache this morning. Well... I really should give it up. Bleh! I want my drug.

Well, I'm going to see the doctor on Saturday. Maybe it is something else entirely.
  #139   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-06, 06:42

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%

I feel for you both. I am doing well. I have incorporated some dairy back and am doing okay. I have given up many things but I NEED my coffee. I have switched to half decaf and half regular though.

Hope your doctors appointment gives you some answers Nancy. Way let me know how the killing of the yeast is going.
  #140   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-06, 09:41
Experimenter

BF:

I'm down to 2 cups in the morning now... and fighting the urge to run to the coffee pot all day long. *sigh* Well, I've been wanting to get off coffee for a long time (part of me wants it, part of me doesn't -- i.e. the total addict part of me is screaming and crying). I've lost 2 pounds from all the intestinal trauma and being more strict on the diet.

Today I made a "sweet omelette" because I've decided to eliminate the coconut flour. See if that helps my gut out. So it was 3 eggs, splenda, baking powder, lemon extract and loads of blueberries. I microwaved it. Ya know, it was pretty danged tasty! Much better than just plain old eggs.
  #141   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-06, 10:58
Dazilous

BF:

I'm glad I never really got on the coffee. I like it now and then, but I have to do decaf or I'm on the ceiling! Tea doesn't affect me much, although I had caffienated tea yesterday (about 3 cups) and I was a bundle of nerves. Usually I drink decaf tea.

Yeast killing is going well! Strange symptoms coming up, like my face started burning, or I'm super tired. I was burping with the OoO, and still burping. Nothing major though. I only took half the dose yesterday and will do half today, then full strength.

And...haven't fallen off the wagon yet! Woo hoo! My appetite is soooooo controlled right now it's crazy.

Nancy, hope it's not the PB! At least with coffee you could go decaf, or half like Shay's doing. Good idea BTW - I may suggest this to a friend with a huge coffee problem!

Having sashimi (raw fish) for lunch today, sans soya sauce - mmmmm.
  #142   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-06, 11:26
Experimenter

BF:

Well, there might be other bad actors in coffee other than caffeine. And I think decaf tastes poohie, unless you spend the equivalent of the GDP of a small 3rd world country on the really good stuff.

I've got a HUGE headache, probably caffeine withdrawls. Bleh.

So far today, intestines not turning inside out. But last time I posted that I was in the bathroom 10 minutes later. Well... here's hoping.
  #143   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-06, 14:23

Nancy-I do love my mock danishes, sweet eggs every morning but I think I need to cut out the artificial sweeteners soon. The are causing me to binge on SF whipped cream.

Giving up coffee all together would be a last resort for me. I have given up so many things but never my coffee, not yet anyway.
  #144   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-06, 17:02
Experimenter

BF:

I never was fond of the mock danish. And now I can't have the cream cheese.

I just heard last night there's an intestinal virus going around. Maybe that is what I have. Well... one thing I noticed, have been noticing, is that there's oil floating on top of the water after I go. I'd better tell the doc about that.
  #145   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-06, 19:00
Dazilous

BF:

Oil? Weeeeeird. What's that from, any idea? You know, I've never looked so much at my poop as I have the past couple of months. Evidently I do not digest coconut. But oil...hmmmm, could that be from...you know, I have no idea. You're just weird, Nancy

I bloated after eating dinner tonight - chicken thighs with tomato sauce. I made the sauce myself from packaged puree - put onion, garlic, orange pepper and celery in as well as basil, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Olive oil for sauteeing the veg and broiling the chicken. I am confused. Got a weird sensation after I ate (my banana sensation, which I cannot describe other than to say I also get it if I eat bananas) and puffed up. Could be...oh who the %#~* knows anymore. I am gassy though from the yeast stuff.

Shay, I'm gonna have to try those sweet eggs. I need a new way of cooking them.
  #146   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-06, 21:38
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Scuse me for butting in on topics I know nothing about. Nancy I tried the new coffee that is supposed to be easy on the stomach and it really works for me. Its called Simply Smooth.
  #147   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-06, 07:18

Nancy-Maybe you do have the virus that is going around. That would explain it. Oil? Hummmm do you eat coconut oil? maybe your body is not digesting it. Make sure you tell the doctor. I was meaning to ask you since you are gluten intolerant is oatmeal considered in the foods you can not eat? I was wondering since I have bloating issues when I eat wheat I am thinking maybe I can try eating oatmeal.

The new coffee isn't that made by Folgers? I am such a critic of coffee. Only the better stuff for me. I get beans and freshly grind them up each morning. I am a coffee connoisseur. Like a wine connoisseur but with coffee.

I just gave up all artificial sweeteners today. No more in my coffee or my mock danish. Wish me luck. I wonder if I will get headaches like you do when you give up sugar and detox. Anyone know?

Way, the mock danish, sweet eggs is addicting but so good. Let me know how you like it. This morning I had cream cheese an egg and then sprinkled cinnamon on top. So, I did without the SF syrup and the sprinkled splenda. Yeah for me.

Last edited by ShayKNJ : Fri, Sep-08-06 at 07:38.
  #148   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-06, 08:37
Dazilous

BF:

Shay, congrats on the AS! Ever tried stevia? Also, oats is somewhat of a controversy - some say they're ok, some say not okay. Nancy would know more. I think it's a cross-contamination issue?
  #149   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-06, 09:17
Experimenter

BF:

Oatmeal is generally not considered safe. There's issues of how it is grown, stored and processed with wheat. If it were completely pure would it be safe? Well... that is still being debated. Some people say they can eat that Irish Steelcut oatmeal and not have problems, other say they react even to that.

I'm having a egg, lemon, and mixed berry omelet this morning. I hope it is good!

Yesterday I had some horrible intestinal cramping but not much in the way of poop.
  #150   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-06, 11:05
Dazilous

BF:

Hope you have a poopy day today!

Shay - try muffins made with almond flour and almond butter, coconut milk and egg. OMG so good. I needed Stevia to increase the yum factor though. I'm gonna have one now...