Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 17:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 334/240/190 Male 5ft 11in
BF:
Progress: 65%

There is no hard proof to back that up lisa. That it will catch up with ALL people. Bad carbs are in all mainstream food that we eat but my parents are getting on in age and they are fine, my older sister and her husband eat like any other American and are fine. A few of my friends have eaten like that their entires lives and are fine, fit as a fiddle. When people realize there is never going to be one way to eat that is healthy or unhleathy to all people we will make some headway. Atkins is not healthy for all people. Vegetarianism isnt healthy for all people. Just eating crap loads of meat isnt healthy for all people or unhealthy for all people. Atkins is a very very bad eating habit for some people so does that make it a bad habit for all? And we all know there are people out there that shouldent health-wise be on this diet.

People can list reasons why vegetarianism is bad but still cant dispute that their are perfectly healthy life long vegetarians out there. Plenty of them as a matter of fact. That right there blows any argument out of the water as to it being bad or unatural. If anyone that says meat is a must have in a diet and vegetarianism is bad for your health is correct then all vegetarians would be sickly dying people but that just isnt the way it is. But thats not to say that being a vegetarian would work for everyone either.

Mainstream doctors swear Atkins is a horrible way to eat. No one here believes that but who is right? Just because you lose weight doesnt mean its healthy just like a lot of low-carb supporters claim it was the high-carb/low-fat diet that was the real unhealthy one. Everyone has their reasons but plain and simple, some people are healthy on a high-carb diet and others like most of the people here are not. While some people can do the atkins diet like a breeze others feel like they are sick all the time. There are plenty of people posting how bad this diet makes them feel. No amount of proof on one way of eating is ever going to be right for everyone. Why dont people just worry about what they eat and keep themselves healthy and less about trying to prove their way or some certain way is the only healthy way to eat. I dont believe it works that way.

Last edited by DEM : Tue, Mar-09-04 at 17:55.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 17:32
Busty McChacha

Plan: atkins
Stats: 304/246.6/175 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

I tried to read through the first three pages of posts..then found it utterly ridiculous and came to the end to voice my opinion. if you dont like it dont do it. that sums it up.
  #138   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 17:36

BF:

Your telling me. I started a thread asking what other animal rights people felt about the diet. It was turned into something completely different because people wanted to tell me or everyone in general what is right and what is wrong.

This wasent a thread for those that dislike animal rights activists to come and spout their views or for animal rights activists to argue with the thread crashers about their views on animals just what they thought about being on this diet and how that related to their animal rights beliefs. But thats what happened and I know now not to start a topic relating to anything bordering on personal belief on this board again. Even if you are looking to talk to someone that believes what you believe someone that hears it and thinks your views on something are wrong or bad(Which the thread never was meant for, it was asking people that thought like me for feedback, not those that didnt.) will invariably try and tell you you are wrong even if that was never the purpose of the thread. And of course I got drawn into it just as everyone else did.

It turned into a animal rights activists are crazy and vegetarian is horrible thread, why? I have no idea.

Last edited by DEM : Tue, Mar-09-04 at 18:07.
  #139   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 21:25

Plan: My Own/Atkins
Stats: 500/364/225 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I agree with you, Atkins isn't for everyone! My husband who is slender went on Atkins with me sort of in support and his blood fat levels went sky high!! Mine are now almost normal because of the LCing. We were total opposite. He is now back on the carbs and doing much better.
I have a friend that is a vegan and seems healthy enough also. I guess its whatever way of eating is healthy for your body, I know other people who can't eat wheat products....everyone is different. I went to a potluck that was meat-free awhile back and WOW there was not much I could eat without going into a diabetic slumber and waking up feeling like I was on a week long drunk. I know I couldn't personally do it because of the diabetes there are so many grains, root vegtables, fruits that affect my glucose it would be impossible. I think ANY thread will attract a variety of people with different views and sometimes the point gets lost of the original post but its to be expected with so many people viewing these threads. Of course this is the Low-Carb War Zone *lol*
Nibby
  #140   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 21:39
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinadal
I just can't understand why anyone would WANT to be a vegetarian. It's so unnatural.

So is:

flying in a plane
driving a car
wearing clothes
monogamy
skating
pepperoni
television

Back to DEM's original question. Fortunately, I have been able to be on Atkins and maintain my vegetarianism-so there has been no conflicts for me. When the doctor first suggested Atkins to me, I was worried because I thought I was going to have to choose between being fat and eating vegetarian. I am very happy that this was not the case.
  #141   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 21:55

BF:

Yeah it did turn into a battlefield here nibby But the post was originaly somewhere else. It was moved here because it did turn into a warzone and the chance of finding the original meaning of the post was hopelessly lost due to people using the thread to push their point of views, everyone of us has done it and its exactly what it wasent supposed to be.

Good points paleo
  #142   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 00:42

Stats: 275/266/175 Female 5'10"
BF:voluminous
Progress: 9%

Oh, where to start, where to start, oh, where to start?I'll start with the fairly ridiculous idea that there are some in the world that apologize to plants before they cut them down because as far as they are concerned "all is god and god is all." Sorry but I don't see an onion as God but rather see the wonder of His creation in the onion. There are others who don't kill animals because it may be their great-uncle living out his karma. Others wear masks so they don't inhale bugs and thus kill them. (My son had a classmate in 5th grade who felt bad for the plants as well as the animals and proclaimed that she would no longer eat any plant foods. When he asked her what she would eat she said tortilla chips! She had a very hard time understanding why he laughed so long and hard!)

We are omnivores and thus eat all things. If we had stayed with food in a more natural state we wouldn't be in the mess we are in individually and as a culture. We have divorced ourselves from food procurement and all of the energy that that entails and have stripped the food we do eat (or allowed it to be stripped for us) to allow for longer shelf life and therefor cheaper and more abundant food all while we sit on our duffs diddling keys and arguing about the right and wrong of eating animals and/or their by-products.

There are cultural biases all over the world in regards what to eat. The idea that we don't take kindly to eating dogs and cats doesn't mean that it is wrong to eat cows, pigs and sheep. (This may reveal some ignorance on my part but why, exactly, is eating veal and lamb so bad? Price is certainly an issue for me but what is your moral high ground that makes them off limits to you?) I don't eat jicama but I understand that it is eaten frequently in other parts of the world. So because I don't eat jicama does that mean that morally I shouldn't eat broccoli?

Meat has the advantage of being nutrient dense and to get the same amount of nutrients we would have to eat an awful lot of vegetation! Basically, we would have to eat practically nonstop to get the nutrients we need and would have to continually migrate to areas where the food was growing. Most nomadic tribes move for the sake of their animals not their own stomachs.

As far as I see it low carb makes a lot of sense because, when followed correctly, there is not a lot of wasted food which would seem a greater sin in a world of want. You eat a high protien breakfast, which usually includes a fair amount of fat for satiety(sp-it's late!) and are generally satisfied for several hours whereas coffee and a donut or bagel leaves you hungry in a couple of hours, if not sooner! And sugary cereal leaves you sleepy and unproductive. A lunch of salad and or veggie with a serving of meat, poultry or fish tides most people over til late afternoon when you may have a snack of nuts or some such to tide you over until dinner. Which again is some veggies and meat. Meat consumption tends to be self-limiting, esp. if you don't season your meat heavily which may cause you to overeat because of taste sensations rather than actual hunger. Actually it is the prepared foods that are denuded of nutrients only to have a select few put back in that are the greater crime against humanity and in the long run against the animals.

As you can tell by the beginning of my screed I am a believer in a creator God. I also believe that He actually didn't intend that we should eat meat but because of the great climate changes brought about by the Flood we could no longer depend on plant life for sustenence (sp-it's even later!) and so needed the nutrient dense meat to survive. And yes, to whoever it was who complained about us using weapons, we needed to use weapons outside of ourselves because we were not created with the teeth, claws or stomach that can handle getting the meat without them. It goes with our brains which it is far to late to get into right now but I may be back tomorrow.

In the meantime DEM, no I don't feel bad about EATING animals but having been raised in suburban NY I sure wouldn't want to have to kill my own! Heck, I couldn't even handle my own bandages when I had to have a fingernail removed--Oh, grooooss! Animals have their place in this world and on my plate is one of them--no octopus though, thank you very much!

I can understand your dilemma. Having been raised in a society that has some very mixed up priorities sometimes it is hard to find a balance in life. Just always remember..."You don't always get what you wa-ant...!" (Sung in that everlilting voice of M. Jaggar)

Connie

PS If this is overrambling, forgive me...it's late and I didn't get much sleep last night either!
  #143   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 12:50

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Octopus is delicious - you don't know what you are missing.
  #144   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 17:55

Stats: 275/266/175 Female 5'10"
BF:voluminous
Progress: 9%

I've heard that they are rubbery and I tend to gag on rubbery things.
  #145   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 05:19
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I LOVE octopus and squid.
  #146   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 02:27

Plan: Protein Power/Dr. B (I'm T2 Diabetic)
Stats: 243.5/241/175 Female 5'8 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 4%

I have always thought that vegetarian is the way to go if you can do it. However, my thought now that I'm diabetic is that I'd rather eat animals than have my leg amputated or go blind or have a stroke or heart attack or....
  #147   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 14:58
RockerChik

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi, DEM. I stumbled on this thread whilst defending PETA on another thread...boy - what a sh*t-load of responses vegetarianism kicks off in this forum, huh? Well, I guess it is to be expected.

Anyhow - yes - when I started low-carbing in 2003, my protein choices for this diet consisted of mostly soy products, eggs, cheese, fish and if I had any meat, it was turkey or chicken. (I'd been "off" red meat, pork, veal for many years already).

Well, after a couple of months, I simply could not shake feeling wrong about eating the turkey and chicken, so I weeded those out, too. It probably helped that I wasn't enjoying them, anyway. Chewing and swallowing ANY meat (the texture) has become unpleasant for me. I had to customize my own program, but what I have customized is working very well for me. I also incorporate legumes and brown rice here and there during the week, with no gain in weight resulting.

Less than a year ago, I was in chronic pain all the time. I was depressed. I had high blood pressure and low energy. Today, I continue to lose weight gradually. My BP medication has been cut in half and I foresee getting off it altogether by the time I reach my goal weight. I am virtually pain-free and I exercise every day. I am healthy and vibrant, strong and positive about my life. And I feel great about not needing to eat meat or even think about it.
  #148   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 10:35

Plan: portioned protein lowcarb
Stats: 240/182/189 Male 73
BF:
Progress: 114%

good grief
Silly liberals
No mention of the thousands of animals killed every day for food by thier "natural" predators (other animals).
Its a fact of life.. you will never stop the slaughter of animals for food.. EVER!
btw.. fish is not a vegetable
  #149   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 11:36
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickFast
good grief
Silly liberals
No mention of the thousands of animals killed every day for food by thier "natural" predators (other animals).

Not the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickFast
Its a fact of life.. you will never stop the slaughter of animals for food.. EVER!
btw.. fish is not a vegetable

Again, not the point. I don't care what other people eat. I made a personal choice. Why do you or anyone else care what I eat? BTW, I don't eat fish either.
  #150   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 13:44

Plan: portioned protein lowcarb
Stats: 240/182/189 Male 73
BF:
Progress: 114%

I didnt read the whole thread... I admit it.. I couldnt stomach it. regardless of what the point is, I see the typical liberal talking points.