Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#136   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 18:16

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson65
I actually felt when I was training for races that the same thing happened to me. Lifting fairly heavy was okay on low carb but harder / longer trainings I was depleted for energy.

I noticed that Bob also said, cutting out carbs works great "but only if your sedentary." I've heard many different experiences where some people can train hard while really low on carbs and others have to have them.

So once again i think it depends on your training, if any, and what you are trying to accomplish. And how your body works best.

My experience has been that I can train hard and often on little to no carbs. In fact, the fewer the carbs, the better. To my way of thinking, carbs just interfere with my body's ability to adapt to burning fat.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 18:35

Plan: Atkins OWL or abouts...
Stats: 195/188/165 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 23%

So is that simply when you are lifting or when you are doing long cardio sessions? Just curious. I can't wait to get back to training and test my theory again to see I can go really low carb and continue to train heavy.

Thanks for the thought....
  #138   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 18:57

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson65
I noticed that Bob also said, cutting out carbs works great "but only if your sedentary." ...

I am ultra low carb and can do cardio and strength training like I never could before. Like most PTs, Bob just regurgitates popular nutrition cliches.
  #139   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 22:46

Plan: Atkins OWL or abouts...
Stats: 195/188/165 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 23%

Interesting....I had issues when I was training. Well we'll try er' again soon.
  #140   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-08, 19:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/200/195 Male 6'5"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Well we shall continue this thread then huh?!?!

Ok if you watched the show... you would have seen that Jay was eating carbs all week up until a day or two before the weigh in.

Soooo he was not on a LC diet...only he tried to cut carbs out at the last minute.

I for one took several days to adjust to Atkins. The first few days I really didnt feel like doing much of anything.

These people work out for 8 hours a day. Bob pointed out that LC would not help Jay. He needed the carbs for such and intense workout load. He needed to stick to the diet that Bob had laid out.

Frankly......

Lemme just say... I for one would have to side with Bob. I mean he must know what hes doing, the men on his team have each lost around 100 pounds each!

You all say you can train hard with little or no carbs. Great! Good for you! But... do you train 8 hours a day like the show?

I admit I have no problems training for an upcoming 10k. I run everyday and I dont feel run down at all. But my training level is no where near what they do on the show!

Last edited by Big__Al : Thu, Mar-27-08 at 20:14.
  #141   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-08, 20:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big__Al
Frankly......

Lemme just say... I for one would have to side with Bob. I mean he must know what hes doing, the men on his team have each lost around 100 pounds each!

You all say you can train hard with little or no carbs. Great! Good for you! But... do you train 8 hours a day like the show? I dont think you can compare yourself to the people on the show.

No, what he said was wrong, it was nonsense, plain and simple. A lie about low carb that gets repeated by people who don't know what they're taking about. Just because someone gets results does not make everything they say true, Bob's comment proves that. As for me, I can compare myself to anyone I choose, if they ate no carbs at all, they would be stronger, healthier and able to do more exercise. Of course I don't train 8 hours a day, but if I did, I'd sure rather eat nice fatty beef steaks than garbage like 100calorie portions of chocolate chip cookies, anemic egg-white "omelets" and tossed salad with low-fat dressing.

For what it's worth, this site has a review of "Bob's Eat More Diet":

- Deal with hunger before it happens
- 4-6 planned meals per day
- High volume, low calorie, low carb

The idea is to consume 4-6 planned meals per day that are low fat and low carb (which means also low overall in calories).

Kinda funny how it stresses "low carb" actually, given his condemnation of it on the show... it almost seems hypocritical.
  #142   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-08, 08:42
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankly
No, what he said was wrong, it was nonsense, plain and simple. A lie about low carb that gets repeated by people who don't know what they're taking about. Just because someone gets results does not make everything they say true, Bob's comment proves that. As for me, I can compare myself to anyone I choose, if they ate no carbs at all, they would be stronger, healthier and able to do more exercise. Of course I don't train 8 hours a day, but if I did, I'd sure rather eat nice fatty beef steaks than garbage like 100calorie portions of chocolate chip cookies, anemic egg-white "omelets" and tossed salad with low-fat dressing.

For what it's worth, this site has a review of "Bob's Eat More Diet":

- Deal with hunger before it happens
- 4-6 planned meals per day
- High volume, low calorie, low carb

The idea is to consume 4-6 planned meals per day that are low fat and low carb (which means also low overall in calories).

Kinda funny how it stresses "low carb" actually, given his condemnation of it on the show... it almost seems hypocritical.

First of all

For people who "hate" the show. Thanks for watching every week! Higher ratings only means it will be back next season! So thanks!

Like I said, Jay tried to cut out all cabs in the last two days....not gonna help him.

Bobs diet...if it is really his...
"I believe that it is all about getting the right carbs and right fats, relying on them for a healthier you and you will also lose weight. "

So yes he is for lower carb intake....but not zero carb intake.

I understand you must puff up and get upset when anyone mentions life other than LC. You spend your time searching the net to find anything to make your point. Bob has to be "wrong". How could a man who has spent the last 20 years as a PT get anything right?!?! He must be crazy!

In the end you have to do what is right for your body. Why does one side have to be right and the other one wrong? Just do what works for you.

Just make sure you tune in every week and help those ratings!
  #143   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-08, 09:52

BF:

Quote:
First of all

For people who "hate" the show. Thanks for watching every week! Higher ratings only means it will be back next season! So thanks!

I don't hate it. Hopefully it keeps coming back so this thread can go on forever.

Quote:
Like I said, Jay tried to cut out all cabs in the last two days....not gonna help him.

I wasn't talking about what you said; I was talking about what Bob said. It's irrelevent what "Jay" did, Bob's blanket statement was wrong; if he meant it for the reasons you say, then that's what he should have said.

Quote:
Bobs diet...if it is really his...
"I believe that it is all about getting the right carbs and right fats, relying on them for a healthier you and you will also lose weight. "

So yes he is for lower carb intake....but not zero carb intake.

You're getting confused; on the show he claimed "low carb" was only good if you were sedentary; in his "diet" he stresses "low carb" and excercise. It really doesn't matter if it's hypocritical, it's enough that what he said on the show was wrong.

Quote:
I understand you must puff up and get upset when anyone mentions life other than LC. You spend your time searching the net to find anything to make your point. Bob has to be "wrong". How could a man who has spent the last 20 years as a PT get anything right?!?! He must be crazy!

I'm afraid it's you who is getting all puffy, I'm sorry if I upset you by pointing out that your hero was wrong about something. Bob, like many trainers, bodybuilders and athletes, understands very little human nutrition, and should constrain his opinions to something he does understand; like exercise.

Quote:
In the end you have to do what is right for your body.

I do.

Quote:
Why does one side have to be right and the other one wrong?

I'm right, just the way it is.

Quote:
Just do what works for you.

Will do.

Quote:
Just make sure you tune in every week and help those ratings!

Okay.
  #144   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-08, 11:35

Plan: LC/IF
Stats: 180/173.8/150 Female 5'9"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 21%

Seriously, how in the world can those people work out for 8 hours a day and even still be functioning with the low calorie, low fat foods that they are prompted to refuel their bodies with?!? I know back when I believed in/ate low calorie/low fat and exercised excessively that I got sick a lot more than I do now with low carb/high fat, moderate exercise. The last "flu" that went around last month I didn't catch, and that's pretty good for me! I just think these people's immune systems must be pretty run down. The only reason they probably don't get sick is that they are mostly confined to the ranch and are not exposed to the "real world!"

Oh yeah, and also with Bob saying that low carb will only help you lose weight if your sedentary - must have been because 100 calorie packs of popcorn and weight control oatmeal were being advertised - him being the one who says he eats the weight control oatmeal "EVERY DAY." I'm so sure! Ugh - if I all I could eat was that measly little pack of oatmeal each morning, I would not be very happy about it at all. Give me eggs (with the yolks - heck, add in an extra yolk!!!), bacon (or a juicy pork chop or rib eye steak), BUTTER, coffee and cream and more BUTTER and I'm a satisfied girl with plenty of energy!!!

Last edited by 27Peach : Fri, Mar-28-08 at 11:45.
  #145   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-08, 12:05
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankly
I don't hate it. Hopefully it keeps coming back so this thread can go on forever.

I wasn't talking about what you said; I was talking about what Bob said. It's irrelevent what "Jay" did, Bob's blanket statement was wrong; if he meant it for the reasons you say, then that's what he should have said.

You're getting confused; on the show he claimed "low carb" was only good if you were sedentary; in his "diet" he stresses "low carb" and excercise. It really doesn't matter if it's hypocritical, it's enough that what he said on the show was wrong.

I'm afraid it's you who is getting all puffy, I'm sorry if I upset you by pointing out that your hero was wrong about something. Bob, like many trainers, bodybuilders and athletes, understands very little human nutrition, and should constrain his opinions to something he does understand; like exercise.

I do.

I'm right, just the way it is.

Will do.

Okay.

hahaha man I love it! "If thats what he meant"....hahaha! Your trying to take one quote outta context. I guess Bob should have known he was gonna be quoted on a LC msg board!! ROFL!!

See when I posted... I was referencing the show. So it’s not "what I said". You need to read and comprehend what I'm posting before you try and argue with it. Makes for a much more precise argument!

Still you find Bob's "diet" from season 2 posted on some web site. It that his offical diet? Do you know for sure? But hey if thats what you want to base your argument on....go ahead. Grasp away!

You want to know what the saddest part of all this is. You cant accept that a PT might actually know what they are talking about!?!?!

You missed a part....

You spend your time searching the net to find anything to make your point. Bob has to be "wrong". How could a man who has spent the last 20 years as a PT get anything right?!?! He must be crazy!

I'm not getting upset. I love pointing out your mistakes! Its becoming all too easy!
  #146   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-08, 12:18

Plan: LC/IF
Stats: 180/173.8/150 Female 5'9"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 21%

Alright, BigAl and Frankly, don't make me come over there and make you hug and make up!
  #147   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-08, 12:58
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27Peach
Alright, BigAl and Frankly, don't make me come over there and make you hug and make up!

No problems here. Everyone has a right to their own opinion!

I would NEVER be so arrogant to say that my way is the only way!

Losing weight/health = happy camper!
  #148   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-08, 13:51

BF:

Quote:
You missed a part....

I didn't miss it; I ignored it.

Quote:
I'm not getting upset. I love pointing out your mistakes! Its becoming all too easy!

Perhaps it's too confusing for you to understand my simple point, that being that what Bob said on the show was completely wrong. Perhaps if I communicate in a manner more like yourself, it will help you to understand:

HAHAHAH ROTFL I LOL about Bob he said "low carb is for sedentary" HAHAHAH he is wrong! Do you understand?!?!?!?!?!?
  #149   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-08, 13:55

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

#150   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-08, 13:57

BF:

Quote:
No problems here. Everyone has a right to their own opinion!

I would NEVER be so arrogant to say that my way is the only way!

Losing weight/health = happy camper!

Everyone does have a right to their own opinion; even the people who are completely wrong, like Bob with his opinions on low-carb and exercise.

I'd much rather lose weight and improve my health; but each to their own.
Closed Thread