Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 10:49
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question Panic Attacks

Does anyone else get panic attacks?

Last night I had a panic attack inwhich I screamed my head off for what felt to me forever, but to everyone else about 2-3 minutes.
I felt absolute fear, I started running through the house. But stopped short and came to my senses.
What kills me is that I had a great day yesterday, and I wasn't thinking of anything troubling or bad when it happened.
Now I'm walking in this gloomy mood and in a state of fear.

How does one shake these things off?
I'm having a good day except for what I'm feeling inside.
Work has been pleasant and my kids are being good.
I'll try watching a movie or playing a computer game, what I really need is a hug fest.
Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 12:36

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

To start here's a big hug...

Panic attacks are scary. Have you talked to your doctor about your attacks? There are a lot of great tricks out there to not only get you through the attack but to help you afterwards.

I used to rate my attacks a number between one and ten (ten being the worst), called it that number (okay, this is an 8) and then talked myself down by counting backwards slowly and focusing on the lower numbers. It always seemed to get me out of the attack and back into myself. My doctor said she had never heard of doing that before but if it worked not to stop. I use it when I get mad too (at anything!!).

She also always told me the best thing to do is to re-focus on your daily activities as soon as possible. I know you already know that, it's just doing it that can be tricky.

Hang in there... and here's another hug just for good measure...

#3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 12:49

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Lessara

I don't think I have ever had a real panic attack but today I was taking hubby's dry cleaning in and got this sudden urge to burst in to tears. No clue why and I am fine now, at least I think I am.

Maybe it's a weird planet alignment or something. Keep your pretty chin up my dear.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 08:33

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default panic attack?

Hi -- I am not sure I have panic attacks -- that is, I don't run about screaming or anything like that. But that can't be the only kkind of panic attack, can it? Mine are just as bad, but I am exactly opposite. I retreat inside myself, say nothing to anybody, and stew about how eveil the world is an the extent to which everyone hates me. And in doing so I help to create the situtations that might do exacty that: drive people away. And the more I think on it the worse it gets, a definite downward spiral.

The way to get out of it is the break the fall, so think on something else. And this is much easier said than done; if I could do it easily myself I wouldn't be a depressive. Still, I imagine my mind stilled, calm, and clearing, then I do a sitting meditation for as long as it takes to pry my mind out of the darkness. The hardest part of the procedure is catching myself and beginning the climb out -- once I have started the climb up I am OK, but actually making the catch can be difficult.

RAH

Last edited by raharris : Sat, Aug-31-02 at 08:42.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 17:26

RAH: you are right, meditation is another great way to shake a panic attack. I posted in another thread that I have created a safe place in my mind to go and sit and be. But it has also been suggested that you can even just sit or lay, imagine a warm white light surrounding you and lifting you out of that dark place.

I used to do this in the tanning bed for three reasons. First, it's easier to imagine a warm white light if there really is one and second, it's a great uninterupted break to relax and third, some Seasonal Affect Disorder experts suggest that the UV rays hitting your face is an instant mood elevator. Using the tanning bed depends entirely on one's feelings on it's safety. For me, the well being is worth the trade.

Lessara: How are you feeling?? Better I hope!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 07:47

Plan: Atkins & Hypnosis
Stats: 229/229/150 Female 63 inches
BF:not a clue!
Progress: 0%
Smile Huuuuuuugggg

For me anxiety and panic sets in when I am overwhelmed and frustrated. I can't do it all myself and I had to learn to ask for help. Now my husband and I try to work things out together, but there are still times when I take on too much.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 11:03
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Smile update

I wanted you all to know I'm feeling alot better. There is nothing like obsessing about the fear of dying.
But I talk to my counsillor and plus I prayed alot.
But to tell you the truth what really helped me was the big thunderstorm that went through last night. It brought wonderful rain which lulled me to sleep... finally.
Oh it was a tough few weeks. Let me tell you.
But as someone mentioned before, once you catch yourself, you can crawl out of the dark hole of dispair.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 21:54
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 200/193/140
BF:44%/42%/20%
Progress: 12%

Hi,
I had panic attacks for two years while in college. Finally, a counseler suggested I read a book called "Don't Panic." It explained what I was going through and helped me work through the anxiety each time, until finally I conquered it. I don't remember the name of the author, but hopefully that book or others is still out there.

What you're feeling is real, and the good news is it's also something that you have the power to work through over time.

I believe in you! Good luck.

Regards,
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 09:07

Smile

Glad to hear you are doing better Lessara.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 11:27

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Default Panic...

I get panic attacks and it's like I get dizzy and my heart is going to pound out of my chest. I feel overwhelmed and thoughts like, "I just can't do this!!!" go through my head.

I frequently feel overwhelmed by the amount of stuff on my plate (not food!) and can't figure out how to make it all work.

Usually I can take one day at a time, but other times it feels like this

I had a major one last night that lasted hours, until I resolved a little dilema I had gotten myself into. Once I resolved the dilemma, I felt better and was able to get on with my life.

Jeannie
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 11:24

Jeannie... I think these kinds of panic attacks are the most common, usually brought on by some situation we find ourselves in.

I've noticed that when this happens to me and I know what is the cause I try to resolve it (to the best of my ability) right away. You do too from what you said.

But if I get them and can't figure out what exactly is the cause they seem worse. Not only that, I have to start digging and resolving everything I've been procrastinating until I find the cause. Very stressful at the time, but quite theraputic afterwards when I have everything I have put off done.

It really helps to have an unconditional friend to tell you how wonderful you are at these times. We tend to beat ourselves up and a friend like this always helps counter that.

Hugs...
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 14:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 209/196/145
BF:
Progress: 20%

First of all Lessara, relax.
I've had many panic attacks. I know they are scary but just relax and they'll pass. I had my first panic attack when I was 19, now I'm 21. I have done a lot of therapy and research about them. They occur to protect us (flight or fight ?!).When my first one occured I was in a really good mood, out of the blue it just happened. I called 911, I thought i was having a heart attack.When you start to understand them they're not so scary.There is however some reason for them to occur, but with a therapist you find that reason. If it happens again , don't run and stay put. Concentrate on your breathing.I learned a technique through my relaxation group which might help. It's called square breathing. Take a deep breath for 4 seconds, then hold again for 4 seconds, after that exhale for 4 seconds, and then hold again for 4 seconds before you enhale again. For me it works.The counting keeps you focused just on breathing. You can hold for as many seconds you want just as long as its the same count for all four.(I usually hold for 3sec because i smoke and that's how much i can do it for). Please don't be afraid,you might go into a bigger panic if you fear. I have now learned when a panick attack is coming on, and i catch it before it errupts.Tell yourself "I'm not afraid of you , come on I'm waiting for you this time " and it will probably not come. Remember you are not alone. A lot of people suffer from this . You're not going to die!!!!!!
Please, if you have any more questions, do ask. I'm sure I can help you with a lot. Speaking from experience.
Take care and relax. Bye for now.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 10:55

Stats: 185/168/145 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default panic attacks and agoraphobia

I am on disability because of panic attacks and agoraphobia-that I never had until after my mini=strokes. Now I find that I have a hard time handling any stress at all. After yrs of major stress since childhood and 2 failed marriages my body just said no more. I have even gone to a psychiatrist about them- but I find my meditation tapes help more than he did. Right now I am struggling not to go backwards since I have gotten to the pt where most days I can go out if it is familiar places. My husband doesn't understand and has no patience with me so I usally try to hide them from him. I should explain that we get the results of the tests for altzheimers on Friday.
Most of the time we (panic attack) are very good at denying that we are under stress or that something is bothering us until it builds up to a point where we panic. I use meditation, and journaling about what I am feeling just so I don't go into denial about my life. The attacks are way less and less intensity now.
Jan

"Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together. -- Katie Hanson "
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 19:50

Plan: I'm looking around
Stats: 225/243/160
BF:
Progress: -28%
Unhappy

I have them to and I also am a Epileptic.Im on three kinds of meds and I keep putting on weight even though I don't eat that much .but when I do I crave sweets so bad .so I asked my Docter to put me on Wellbutrin Im just starting on them so I hope I have luck
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 23:19

Stats: 185/168/145 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default panic attacks

I had good luck with wellbutrin-then I married a yr ago and I let him talk me into stopping some of my meds-that's when I began eating again. B4 I had lost weight and then kept it off until a yr ago.
Today my husband's dr put him on aricept for altzheimers and he keeps saying they think I am crazy. He loves hockey and we have seasons tickets. The kids behind us kept kicking the back of the seats-he turned around and swore at them. My husband who has never sworn now has quite the vocabulary. Angry all the time.
Anyways, I made it thru the day on last day of 2 wks and didn't eat anything not on the list- have a wacko headache but that is from combo stress and lack of caffeine. I did have to take a med at the game though- I was worried he would hit the kid who put a huge sucker on my jacket.
Hope everyone had a good day.
Jan