Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 08:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Drastic overnight weight gain of 10 pounds!

Yesterday I awoke to a 10 pound weight gain! (I verified my scale with a 10 pound hand-held weight).

This water retention is possibly due to:

sinus antibiotic medication
prescription nasal spray Fluticasone Propionate (sinus medicine)
pain medication hydrocodone/apap (permanent makeup treatment)
supplements (oregano oil)
excess sodium (pork skins)
Atkins bars (1 a day)
heartburn medicine - omeprazole acid reducer (reaction to whipped cream)
benadryl gel on arm for itch
constipation ????? (not likely, in this case).

This is the first time in my life that I have experienced such overnight weight gains! Calorie diets don't do this!

I will just have to live with this wild fluctuation as REAL LIFE requires medication at times.

Does anyone know how oregano oil might affect an Atkins diet? And vitamins?

Your comments, please!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 10:36

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/202/165 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Try a day or two of induction-level on the carbs and see if that does the trick.

I don't think a sudden weight gain is the norm in low carb dieting either, not unless you've consumed a bunch of hidden carbs. But don't worry about fluctuations too much, just stick to it and give it time.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 10:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Did you move the scale recently? I know sometimes just moving scales to a different spot on the floor can make them weigh differently.

Do your clothes fit differently since the 10 pound overnight gain?
If not, I'd suspect the scales.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 10:42

Stats: 249.2/242.6/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Are the antibiotics a new medication? If everything else is approximately the same, then it could be the new meds. Topical treatments shouldn't cause that much water weight gain in one day, and certainly it has to be water mostly. You can't gain that much for real overnight.

Google the medication for side effects. If it is causing this much retention, then you may need something else or you may wish to eliminate most salt for the duration of taking it. I would certainly call your doctor if it persists.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 10:55

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 165/130/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

Be careful with omeprazole acid reducer especially if you take it for an extended period of time. I was put on it for reflux back in December and after two weeks developed a terrible rash on my face and neck over just a few days. It stung and itched and looked like really bad acne(I normally have very clear skin). I stopped taking it and the rash went away over a course of a week. I won't ever take it again. Just sayin', be careful!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 12:28

BF:
Default I test the scale's accuracy each time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Did you move the scale recently? I know sometimes just moving scales to a different spot on the floor can make them weigh differently.

Do your clothes fit differently since the 10 pound overnight gain?
If not, I'd suspect the scales.

I have an iron 10 pound exercise weight which is used to test the scale's accuracy before I stand on it. The scale is accurate.

Last edited by RuthannP : Sat, Feb-25-12 at 06:19.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 12:30

BF:
Default I am in the induction phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissa_cats
Try a day or two of induction-level on the carbs and see if that does the trick.

I don't think a sudden weight gain is the norm in low carb dieting either, not unless you've consumed a bunch of hidden carbs. But don't worry about fluctuations too much, just stick to it and give it time.

I started Atkins on Feb 8th, changed to Fast Fat on the 14th, switched back to regular Atkins on the 19th.

Net loss: 0

I lost 10 pounds during the same period and gained it all back IN ONE DAY!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 12:37

BF:
Default I plan to eliminate the CAUSE of acid reflux

Quote:
Originally Posted by noinwi
Be careful with omeprazole acid reducer especially if you take it for an extended period of time. I was put on it for reflux back in December and after two weeks developed a terrible rash on my face and neck over just a few days. It stung and itched and looked like really bad acne(I normally have very clear skin). I stopped taking it and the rash went away over a course of a week. I won't ever take it again. Just sayin', be careful!

I am eliminating dairy completely from my diet as it seems to be the culprit.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 12:40

Stats: 245/189/145 Female 5"4
BF:
Progress: 56%

The oregano oil shouldn't affect the diet at all. If anything it should help you , it certainly helps me.
Are you taking it for candida?

I'd look at the atkins bar, pork rinds and medication.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 12:45

BF:
Default Oregano oil for candida

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles
The oregano oil shouldn't affect the diet at all. If anything it should help you , it certainly helps me.
Are you taking it for candida?

I'd look at the atkins bar, pork rinds and medication.

Yes, oregano oil is for candida. I have had thrush, toenail fungus, vaginal itch, ringworm (each one time) during my lifetime. I also have chronic sinus problems (Mayo Clinic points to fungus).

I put three drops in a gelatin capsule and take it once a day.

Last edited by RuthannP : Sat, Feb-25-12 at 06:15.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 12:52

BF:
Default Medications might be the cause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGrant
Are the antibiotics a new medication? If everything else is approximately the same, then it could be the new meds. Topical treatments shouldn't cause that much water weight gain in one day, and certainly it has to be water mostly. You can't gain that much for real overnight.

Google the medication for side effects. If it is causing this much retention, then you may need something else or you may wish to eliminate most salt for the duration of taking it. I would certainly call your doctor if it persists.

Yes, fluid collected in my ear and the doctor prescribed an antibiotic and the nasal spray. (Fluid in ear is an ongoing problem). I had been on Atkins about a week when I visited the doctor.

In retrospect I can see that the increased amount of cheese and dairy in my Atkins diet MIGHT HAVE contributed to the sinus problem. It most certainly contributed to the severe heartburn problem.

Last edited by RuthannP : Sat, Feb-25-12 at 06:39.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 12:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Dairy messes up my sinuses.

You didn't indicate whether your clothes are a lot tighter now than before the mysterious weight gain. I'd expect a true 10 pound gain would make things quite tight.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 12:59

BF:
Default Tighter clothes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Dairy messes up my sinuses.

You didn't indicate whether your clothes are a lot tighter now than before the mysterious weight gain. I'd expect a true 10 pound gain would make things quite tight.

I am wearing a mumu today so I don't know about the clothes, but my belly feels really bloated like it's full of water. Might be because I drank so much water yesterday, but generally water goes right through me.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 13:23

BF:
Default All my weight loss has been water?

I guess I could conclude that all of my three weeks worth of weight loss (10 pounds) on the Atkins diet has been nothing but water!!!!

I am a slow study, apparently!

I wonder if I lost only water during my calorie diet Jan 1 - Feb 8 (or whatever it was) when I started Atkins.

That's a lot of work just to lose water!!!!

This is not going to discourage me, though! Three weeks of dieting compared to a lifetime of Atkins management is only a blip in time. I'll just pile more fat into my diet and see if that will take care of the problem.

Last edited by RuthannP : Sat, Feb-25-12 at 06:24.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-12, 08:49

BF:

I drank 11 cups of fluid to cause this. It is possible to drink TOO MUCH WATER because excess water leaks out into tissue.

Until this happened, I thought that the body would just excrete the extra water. According to my internet searches, that really isn't always the case.

Lesson learned.