Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 07:08

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Everything you thought you knew about food is WRONG

An interesting new book with what appears to be a low carb message, and which has just been published in the UK:

Quote:
From the Daily Mail
London, UK
November 1, 2010

Everything you thought you knew about food is WRONG

Fibre's bad for you. Fat's healthy. And five-a-day is a gimmick to make fruit and veg firms rich. Or so claims a remarkable new book...

We think we know what to eat: less red meat and more fibre, less saturated fat and more fruit and veg, right? Wrong, according to a controversial new book by obesity researcher and nutritionist Zoe Harcombe.

In The Obesity Epidemic: What Caused It? How Can We Stop It? Harcombe charts her meticulous journey of research into studies that underpin dietary advice — and her myth-busting conclusions are startling.

Myth: The rapid rise in obesity is due to modern lifestyles

According to Zoe Harcombe, the ~obesity epidemic has less to do with our lifestyles than with what we are eating.

‘The key thing that people don’t realise is that throughout history, right until the Seventies, obesity levels never went above 2 per cent of the population in the UK,’ she says. ‘Yet by the turn of the millennium, obesity levels were 25 per cent.

‘What happened? In 1983, the government changed its diet advice. After that, if you look at the graphs, you can see obesity rates taking off like an aeroplane. You might feel it is coincidence, but to me it is blindingly obvious.

‘The older dietary advice was simple; foods based on flour and grains were ~fattening, and sweet foods were most ~fattening of all.
‘Mum and Granny told us to eat liver, eggs, sardines and to put butter on our vegetables. The new advice was “base your meals on starchy foods” — the things that we used to know made us fat (rice, pasta, potatoes and bread). That’s a U-turn.’

Myth: Starchy carbohydrates should be the main building blocks of our diet

We’ve been told that carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread and potatoes should form the bulk of what we eat. The trouble with this, says Zoe Harcombe, is that as carbs are digested, they are broken down into glucose.
This process makes your body produce insulin, in order to deal with the extra glucose. One of insulin’s main roles in the body is fat storage, so whenever you eat carbs, you are switching on your body’s fat-storing mechanism. Whatever carbs you don’t use up as energy will be quickly stored away in the body as fat.
We should get back to doing as nature intended and eat real, unprocessed food, starting with meat, fish, eggs, vegetables and salads.
Myth: Losing weight is about calories in versus calories out
‘If only it were that simple,’ says ~Harcombe. ‘People think that if they cut out 500 calories a day, they will lose 1lb a week.
‘They might at first, but then the body will recognise that it is in a state of ~starvation and turn down its systems to conserve energy.
‘So you may be putting fewer calories in, but at the same time you will be using up fewer calories to get through the day.
‘Losing weight is more a question of fat storage and fat utilisation. You need the body to move into a fat-burning mode and, to do that, you need to cut down your consumption not of calories, but of carbohydrates.’

Myth: More exercise is a cure for the obesity epidemic

This is standard wisdom; exercise, we think, will burn calories, lose fat and speed up our metabolism. Think again, says ~Harcombe.

‘If you push yourself into doing extra exercise, it will be counterproductive because you will get hungry — your body will be craving carbohydrate to replenish its lost stores.
‘If you are trying to control weight, it is so much easier to control what you put into your mouth. Not how much, but what. Then it doesn’t matter what you do or don’t do by way of exercise.’

Myth: Fat is bad for us

‘Real fat is not bad for us,’ says ~Harcombe. ‘It’s man-made fats we should be demonising. Why do we have this idea that meat is full of saturated fat? In a 100g pork chop, there is 2.3g of unsaturated fat and 1.5g of saturated fat.
‘Fat is essential for every cell in the body. In Britain [according to the Family Food Survey of 2008], we are deficient in the fat-soluble vitamins A, D and E, which are responsible for healthy eyesight, bone strength, mental health, cancer and blood vessel protection and, therefore, heart health. We need to eat real fat in order for these vital vitamins to be absorbed into the body.’

Myth: Saturated fat causes heart disease

Over the past 50 years, we have accepted this as one of the basic nutritional truths. But Zoe Harcombe says: ‘No research has ever properly proved that eating ~saturated fat is associated with heart disease, let alone that it causes it.’

Myth: Cholesterol is a dietary enemy

Controversially, Harcombe does not consider ‘high’ cholesterol levels a bad thing!

‘To pick a number — 5 (mmol/l) — and to say everyone should have cholesterol level no higher than this is like declaring the average height should be 5ft 4in and not 5ft 9in and medicating everyone who doesn’t reach this meaningless number to reduce their height. It really is that horrific.
‘Ancel Keys, who studied cholesterol extensively in the Fifties, said categorically that cholesterol in food does not have any impact on cholesterol in the blood.

‘What is abnormal is the amount of ~carbohydrate we eat, especially refined carbohydrate, and this has been shown to determine triglyceride levels — the part of the cholesterol reading your GP may be most concerned about.
‘It’s the ultimate irony. We only told ~people to eat carbs because we demonised fat and, having picked the wrong villain, we are making things worse.’

Myth: We should eat more fibre

For three decades, we have crammed fibre into our bodies to help us feel full and keep our digestive systems moving. This is not a good idea, says Harcombe.
‘The advice to eat more fibre is put forward along with the theory that we need to flush out our ~digestive systems. But essential minerals are absorbed from food while it is in the intestines, so why do we want to flush everything out? Concentrate on not putting bad foods in.’

Myth: You need to eat five portions of fruit and veg a day

‘Five-a-day is the most well-known piece of nutritional advice,’ says ~Harcombe. ‘You’d think it was based on firm evidence of health benefit. Think again!
‘Five-a-day started as a marketing campaign by 25 fruit and veg companies and the American National Cancer Institute in 1991. There was no evidence for any cancer benefit.’

Myth: Fruit and veg are the most nutritious things to eat

Apparently not. Harcombe allows that vegetables are a great addition to the diet — if served in butter to deliver the fat-soluble vitamins they contain — but ~fructose, the fruit sugar in fruit, goes straight to the liver and is stored as fat.
Fruit is best avoided by those trying to lose weight, says Harcombe, who adds: ‘Vitamins and minerals in animal foods — meat, fish, eggs and dairy products — beat those in fruit hands down.’

Myth: Food advisory bodies give us sound, impartial advice

the organisations we turn to for advice on food are sponsored by the food industry. The British Dietetic Association (BDA), whose members have a monopoly on delivering Department of Health and NHS dietary advice, is sponsored by Danone, the yoghurt people, and Abbott Nutrition, which manufactures infant ~formula and energy bars.
The British Nutrition Foundation, founded in 1967 to ‘deliver authoritative, evidence-based information on food and nutrition in the context of health and lifestyle’, has among its ‘sustaining members’ British Sugar plc, Cadbury, Coca-Cola, J Sainsbury PLC and Kraft Foods.
‘When the food and drink industry is so actively embracing public health advice, isn’t it time to wonder how healthy that advice can be?’ says Harcombe.

THE OBESITY EPIDEMIC by Zoe Harcombe (Columbus Publishing.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...food-WRONG.html

Quote:
From Amazon.co.uk

"The Obesity Epidemic: What caused it? How can we stop it?" does what it says in the title - it answers those two critical questions. It takes you on the journey that the author, Zoë Harcombe went on to answer those questions and hopefully it will shock you as much as it shocked her.
The starting point must be - when did The Obesity Epidemic start? The graphs and tables show a stunning increase in obesity levels at the turn of the 1980's and obesity literally takes off, like an aeroplane trajectory, from that point onwards. Obesity in the UK, as an example, increases almost 10 fold between the 1970's and 1999 from 2.7% to 25%. So what happened?
The short answer is - we changed our diet advice. More accurately we did a U-turn in our diet advice. We used to believe (and our grandmothers still do) that bread and potatoes were fattening and we should put butter on our vegetables. We changed this completely to tell citizens of the `developed' world to base our meals on starchy foods and to replace nature's butter with man-made hydrogenated spreads. Coincidence or cause?
The Obesity Epidemic takes you through the actual documents that changed our diet advice, most importantly why the advice changed and what is stopping us from changing the advice back. This is a journey through the landmark turning points in the history of public health diet advice and the impact that this has had on obesity - and all the accompanying modern illnesses: heart disease; cancer; diabetes and the lack of well being that the average human suffers today.
If you currently believe that "energy in equals energy out" - be prepared to change your view, if you read this book with an open mind. If you think one pound equals 3,500 calories, you may be in for a surprise. If you assume that you will lose one pound for every deficit of 3,500 calories you create, you will see irrefutable evidence to the contrary. You will understand where five-a-day comes from and will hopefully revise your adherence to this marketing slogan afterwards. You will hopefully be shocked and appalled at the conflict of interest in the food and obesity industries. You may never drink fruit juice again.
With 400 references and every fact backed up with sourced and presented evidence - this is the most informative book on the subject of obesity ever written. You cannot fail to learn a great deal and to have your thinking continually challenged in a highly engaging way. The research for this book changed everything the author held to be true - read with an open mind - it could do the same for you. Love it or hate it, you have to read it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Obesity-Epi...88616321&sr=8-6
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 07:33

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 202/175/150 Female 5ft3 / 63in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Thanks for this! I think things like this really need to get onto the news. It seems it covers some of the GCBC topics but hopefully in a more layman format so it will reach a wider audience.

I've ordered a copy but they're out of stock, I'll be interested to read it when I can get hold of it!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 07:46
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I'm always delighted to see this message get to the mainstream.

PJ
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 09:02

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

This author is great! And no one told me Gary Taubes had a fraternal twin!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 09:46

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

The comments are interesting. The people in the Calorie Camp are complaining about her credentials, and are sure that the evidence proves they are right. The people in the low carb camp are saying this is just a revamp of Atkins, but it's OK because the message needs to be reiterated time and time again.
Lots of people are saying that Americans are fat because they can't stop eating their giant portions, and lots are saying they've lost weight following the conventional (WW) type of diets- reduce calories, exercise, etc.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 14:44
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo at the moment
Stats: 230/195/195 Male 76 inches
BF:25%/16%/12%
Progress: 100%

Very Gary Taubes. I think the female perspective could only be positive. I'm starting to see a steady trickle of these type articles and books coming on stream.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 16:31

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Wow, that's a very succinct - and as far as it looks, accurate from our POV. Article should be reprinted every day for a year in major rags on both sides of the pond.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 19:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/155/150 Male 60
BF:
Progress:

You know every day there is a new 'fad' or research that indicates something else is good/bad for you. The other day it was coffee.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 23:37

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
The short answer is - we changed our diet advice. More accurately we did a U-turn in our diet advice. We used to believe (and our grandmothers still do) that bread and potatoes were fattening and we should put butter on our vegetables.

Can I change my user ID to "grandma"?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-10, 05:19
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Jimmy Moore is interviewing Zoe this Friday for a podcast later. It's usually a few months after he does the interviews that they get broadcast but he usually makes a good job of allowing people to put their case fully.

The 3 Conditions
There are so many Questions & Answers about the three conditions – Candida, Food Intolerance, Hypoglycaemia – in the book. The whole of Chapter 3 is devoted to Candida; Chapter 4 to Food Intolerance and Chapter 5 to Hypoglycaemia. Here are the questions asked and answered in each of these chapters:
worth watching her videos.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-10, 05:59

Plan: IF
Stats: 220/203.4/199 Female 71"
BF:
Progress: 79%

As much as I agree with most of what this is saying, I'm so tired of the "exercise doesn't work" message getting spread. Lazy people will lob onto whatever excuse they can grab for not moving (myself included ). I don't care what any study says...when I move, so does the scale. You can diet and lose weight, but you just look like a smaller pile of crap. Working out makes you look good and feel great! Yes, if you go and pile calories on top of a run then you won't lose weight. There's a really simple way to counteract this phenomenon.....DON'T OVEREAT!

I also believe there are a host of other factors involved besides dietary recommendations. We are eating soooooo much!!! And have become completely sedentary. Yes, carbs might make us eat more, but if I count calories and stick to it then I can lose weight no matter what my macro-nutrient breakdown is. I can eat zero carb and still not lose weight if I'm eating too much. Calories do matter at some point. I just think we need to quit over complicating weight loss and take some personal accountability. People want so badly to blame SOMEONE for their weight problem, but the truth is that nobody put a gun to your head and made you eat fast food, or pizza, or ice cream, etc..Low carb is great because it eliminates this junk food and finally gets people to eat real food.

Having said that. Yes, the government's dietary advice sucks! It's all about corporate profit, not protecting the public, and I'm glad this message is getting to be more mainstream.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-10, 06:32
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarjunki
As much as I agree with most of what this is saying, I'm so tired of the "exercise doesn't work" message getting spread.
I get really tired of people who refuse to acknowledge that increasing exercise is totally UNNECESSARY for increasing weight loss. I am one of those people who because of an underlying muscle problem am unable to exercise. Because of people like you continually rabbiting on about the need for exercise I believed that it was inevitable, because exercise is not an option for me, that starvation was the only alternative to weight gain. It's total BS. I've lost weight without calorie or carb counting and I haven't regained weight either.

Quote:
Lazy people will lob onto whatever excuse they can grab for not moving (myself included ). I don't care what any study says...when I move, so does the scale. You can diet and lose weight, but you just look like a smaller pile of crap.
That's your opinion. I find that I've lost weight and look much better than I did. I'm now not ashamed to be seen in a swim suit so that's good enough for me.

Quote:
Working out makes you look good and feel great!
You've been brainwashed into thinking that. It simply makes me seriously ill and takes me days to recover. You may enjoy masochism but self harm is not necessary or desirable.

Quote:
Yes, if you go and pile calories on top of a run then you won't lose weight. There's a really simple way to counteract this phenomenon.....DON'T OVEREAT!
While of course excessive calorie consumption is a pointless activity if you understand how to restore the metabolic flexibility you had when young you will regain the ability to eat what you want and be able to rely on your natural homeostatic regulation systems to adjust your energy expenditure and wastage to dispose of surplus calories as required.

Quote:
We are eating soooooo much!!!
That is a symptom of dysfunctional mitochondria and disregulated metabolism, it's not the cause of the problem.

Quote:
And have become completely sedentary.
Again a symptom of the problem not the cause.

Quote:
Yes, carbs might make us eat more, but if I count calories and stick to it then I can lose weight no matter what my macro-nutrient breakdown is.
I suspect you haven't yet restored the natural regulating metabolism, too much unnecessary exercise causing inflammation IMO. Make sure you've corrected vitamin D3, magnesium, zinc and omega 3 status.

Quote:
I can eat zero carb and still not lose weight if I'm eating too much.
I don't have to eat zero carb and I regularly drink a bottle of red wine daily and still lose weight if I need to. The calorie issue is a myth.

Quote:
Calories do matter at some point.
Yes but only at the extreme. For most people with common sense calorie counting like carbohydrate counting is a total waste of time.
Quote:
I just think we need to quit over complicating weight loss and take some personal accountability. People want so badly to blame SOMEONE for their weight problem, but the truth is that nobody put a gun to your head and made you eat fast food, or pizza, or ice cream, etc..Low carb is great because it eliminates this junk food and finally gets people to eat real food.
I'm all for people eating real food but where does one find food of the same standard that I ate when I was a child.
I don't remember asking anyone to reduce the zinc, iron, copper and magnesium content of wheat.
Evidence of decreasing mineral density in wheat grain over the last 160 years.
No one asked my permission to increase the amount of pro inflammatory gluten in modern wheat varieties.
If food is made more pro inflammatory while the population is deprived of it's natural anti inflammatory reserves then this will have adverse consequences on health.
Until you restore your natural anti inflammatory reserves you will continue to have problems with your metabolic flexibility and have to rely on props like calorie counting and mindless exercise to do the job your mitochondria would naturally perform if you took the trouble to look after them.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-10, 06:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarjunki
As much as I agree with most of what this is saying, I'm so tired of the "exercise doesn't work" message getting spread.

I lost between 60-70 pounds six years ago, without exercising. Now, I'm not a couch potato; I live on the third floor, go for walks, and do all the errands because my husband is chronically ill. So I'm active.

But my knees and hips can't take the kind of exercise I did in my thirties to burn off all the excess carbs I was told to eat. And we have winter six months of the year, here.

I had to come up with something else. Low carb was it, and is still working wonderfully.

Yes, it's awesome that the Freaking Obvious is getting out there. For instance, many people are stunned when I point out that when Weight Watchers was first started, their dietary advice was straight from "Grandma." Skip the starches and the sugar! Come on, some of us must remember the diner diet plate; scoop of cottage cheese on a lettuce leaf and a bit of fruit?

Last edited by WereBear : Tue, Nov-02-10 at 06:50. Reason: more thoughts
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-10, 08:23

BF:

Quote:
I get really tired of people who refuse to acknowledge that increasing exercise is totally UNNECESSARY for increasing weight loss

Did I say it was necessary? No. I said it helps ME. And it does speed things up. I don't care what studies say (you can find a study to back up ANYTHING). I only care about personal experience. I guess I'm just one of those crazy people who want to be fit and not just thin. A good hard sweat gets that scale unstuck every time!

Quote:
You've been brainwashed into thinking that. It simply makes me seriously ill and takes me days to recover. You may enjoy masochism but self harm is not necessary or desirable.

...masochism...that's good.
No brainwashing here. Again, just personal experience. Sorry it makes you ill, but that is not most people's experience.

Quote:
That's your opinion.

That's the opinion of many. Many people do not find "skinny-fat" (thin with absolutely no muscle definition) attractive. If that's not your opinion, that's great. I'm glad you've found what's worked for you and are comfortable in your own skin. I sincerely hope I can find that kind of peace one day.

Quote:
Again a symptom of the problem not the cause.

Well...a symptom of alcoholism is excessive drinking. It doesn't mean I have to drink. We have complete control over every single bite we put into our mouths. If I'm overweight, it's because I've eaten too much. Regardless of the reason, I don't have to CHOOSE to do that.

Quote:
I suspect you haven't yet restored the natural regulating metabolism, too much unnecessary exercise causing inflammation IMO. Make sure you've corrected vitamin D3, magnesium, zinc and omega 3 status.

While I appreciate the advice (I do need more supplements and am looking into it) are you telling me that my ability to lose weight no matter what I'm eating (as long as I'm not eating too much) is some sort of medical issue I should have checked out?

Quote:
The calorie issue is a myth.

I guess I'm just completely abnormal because when I eat too many calories, I get fat. When I cut calories, I lose weight. Guess I should have that checked out, too.

Thanks for the carefully thought out rebuttals, Hutchinson. Again, I'm sorry that a medical condition prevents you from activity. It does absolute wonders for my body and gives me an amazing mental high that I wish everyone could feel for themselves. Congratulations on your success. You have a lot to be proud of.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-10, 08:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitsam2010
You know every day there is a new 'fad' or research that indicates something else is good/bad for you. The other day it was coffee.

Ain't it the truth??????