Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 09:26
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%
Default "Bad Cholesterol: It's Not What You Think"

"Bad Cholesterol: It's Not What You Think"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35058896//

Maybe the message IS becoming more mainstream. Now if people will only listen.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 10:43

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

This is a Men's Health article. I told Capmikee last night I was leaving him to marry the Editor of Men's Health. It's the only consistently low-carb, pro-fat mainstream publication.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 10:49

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
"Bad Cholesterol: It's Not What You Think"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35058896//

Maybe the message IS becoming more mainstream. Now if people will only listen.

Top Post!!
In the way of Kremlin Watchers of old, what is most striking about this is not what it says, but where it is being said, for what audience, and who is publishing it.

This article says good things about Saturated Fat.
Bad things about the Lipid Hypothesis, the Cathecism of the Food Pyramid, the Gospel of the AMA/ADA/etc, and the Drug Industry Statinators and their financial interests.

The king truly has no clothes.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 11:57

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/147.7/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 67%

Interesting article. It's just amazing how truly ignorant so many DOCTORS are about the whole cholesterol thing.

I've had what I guess the doctors consider high cholesterol as long as I can remember. BUT....my HDL is always quite high...65 to 75 in general. Just because of that total number (mine is 257 or so) and a high LDL (usually around 167) my doctor has actually said I should be on statins. Of course, I'm a person who NEVER wants to take anything, so I resisted and will never take that stuff. Based on everything I've read, including this article, I'm not going to worry about cholesterol. If I were eating tons of carbs, maybe I'd worry.

Years ago my gynecologist was extremely pushy about my "need" to take hormone replacement pills. I told her I had no menopause symptoms to speak of, and no thanks. Then she resorted to saying it was still necessary to "protect my heart." I still said no, and thank goodness...because now we know the pills can damage the heart.

Doctors do not "know best" as it turns out. I often wonder if once they graduate from medical school, they stop reading and learning...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 12:08
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

The problem is the reading and learning they do in medical school is an 'education' funded by the agri, food and pharma industries.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 12:10

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 180/170/145 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 29%

Personally, I refuse blood work at the doctor's office. Until most doctors can wrap their heads around how cholesterol really works, I am not going to subject myself to the run around with my doctor.

I also sometimes feel like the only person left who is not on a bunch of medication. I take NOTHING. I don't even understand how everyone could possibly be as unhealthy as the medical community makes them out to be. You'd think we were all about to fall over dead based upon the amount of statins people are prescribed.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 15:12
Every moment is NOW.

God, I know! I swear I must be the only person in my family who is not on any kind of medication. Nearly everybody local I know is on one or more kinds of long-term (even lifetime) medications. I don't even take midol or benedryl unless I think I'm gonna keel over from something and that's very rare.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 18:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
This is a Men's Health article. I told Capmikee last night I was leaving him to marry the Editor of Men's Health. It's the only consistently low-carb, pro-fat mainstream publication.

It's an excellent magazine cover to cover, most of the time. It doesn't always recommend low carb - it has fat phobia from time to time - but it's very good when it comes to fat and carbs.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 18:55
Every moment is NOW.

I bought my dad a subscription to Men's Health. He somehow thinks he bought it for himself but I didn't argue. Although he still abides by my stepmom's ADA-Of-Death diet, he read's MH, and I think it's gradually working on him.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 19:09

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
I bought my dad a subscription to Men's Health. He somehow thinks he bought it for himself but I didn't argue. Although he still abides by my stepmom's ADA-Of-Death diet, he read's MH, and I think it's gradually working on him.

Well, you clever girl you.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 20:14

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrasdad
It's an excellent magazine cover to cover, most of the time. It doesn't always recommend low carb - it has fat phobia from time to time - but it's very good when it comes to fat and carbs.

Every month it gets more radically low-carb, though.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 20:31
Every moment is NOW.

Probably they were dipping their toes in and seeing what they could get away with for awhile, and since the world of subscriptions has not crashed in on them, they're getting braver about it. :-)
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 20:48

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Adam Campbell once had an active blog on MH, and wrote a column regularly. Anyone hear from or about him lately?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 21:34
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb IF
Stats: 200/188/175 Male 70.5 in
BF:
Progress: 48%

The Men's Health writer in the sidebar recommends drinking beer to lower LDL. Do they do a smell check before going to e-press?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 22:44

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/147.7/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
The problem is the reading and learning they do in medical school is an 'education' funded by the agri, food and pharma industries.

Boy is that ever true. And I look at all the "recommendations" for a healthy diet, and if I ate all that stuff (wheat, pretty much all grains, beans and so on) I would be SICK and bloated. I've learned pretty much what I have to eat to feel good, and if I ate all the "healthy" foods I'd feel like crap all the time, just like I used to. I really do feel best on the Atkins WOE. I haven't had a digestive issue since I started 7 weeks ago. Not one, and digestive upsets were a daily way of life for me before. If eating the Atkins WOE makes you feel so good, how could it be bad? And if all the so-called healthy food were so good for you, why do you feel horrible eating it? I was really sick all the time.

Another thought: At my local uber-health food co-op it's population mostly by vegetarians, vegans, and the like. And NONE of them look healthy at all. They probably need some MEAT.