Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 10:55

Plan: South Beachy/ My Plan
Stats: 206/159.0/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Sweet potato, are you eating the right one?

Was eating my 128g of sweet potato the other night and my mom asked, "you are eating a regular potato?!?" I replied, "no, this is a sweet potato." She then asked, "aren't they purplish with an orange inside?"

I gave her a little lesson.

They are NOT the same.

Serving sizes & Glycemic load

Sweet potato, average = 150g 17
Yam, average = 150g 13

BUT sweet potatoes are significantly better for you!

"Although they are different species, the yam and sweet potato are frequently confused owing to their similarity in taste and appearance. While both are renowned to be top-notch health foods, they offer diffferent health benefits and different culinary uses, and each vegetable yields its own completely unique nutritional profile.

The sweet potato is only very distantly related to the yam, and is actually a type of morning glory. While the term yam encompasses many different species, sweet potato varieties all have vary similar nutritional value and health benefits because they are all genetically quite similar. Sweet potatoes have a reputation among health food advocates as one of the most densely nutritious (but surprisingly low-calorie) foods on the market.

Sweet potatoes are packed with massive amounts of vitamin A, a nutrient considered critical in maintaining proper eye health. One sweet potato contains nearly eight times an adult's daily need of this important vitamin, and, because the vitamin is fat-soluble rather than water-soluble, the body can store it for later use. So many Americans are deficient in this important vitamin that the sweet potato might be seen as a critical health food for our inadequate diets.

The sweet potato contains several other vitamins and minerals in amounts not found in the lowly yam. Compared to yams, sweet potatoes contain significantly higher amounts of calcium, iron, and vitamin E, and they twice as much protein per serving. While these stellar nutritional scores may make the sweet potato look like a hands-down winner, the yam also has its own impressive nutritional values, some of which the sweet potato lacks.

Omega-3 fatty acids have received significant news coverage in recent times owing to their ability to do everything from prevent heart disease to increase brain stamina. Although both the yam and the sweet potato are low-fat foods, the ratio of essential fatty acids is preferable in the yam compared to the sweet potato. Sweet potatoes contain less omega-3 fats than yams, and have nearly twice as many omega-6 fats, which are known to inhibit the body's ability to make use of the omega-3's. When it comes to fatty acids, yams are quite preferable.

Still, the yam has other drawbacks compared to its distant cousin. While sweet potatoes contain massive amounts of anti-inflammatory compounds, which are very important in the health of people with IBS, arthritis, gout, and other inflammation-related diseases. Yams, on the other hand, not only lack these anti-inflammatory nutrients, but actually contain a number of compounds that aggrevate these conditions. However, their inflammation-causing tendencies are still less severe than many other foods.

Both the sweet potato and yam offer special health benefits to people with diabetes. Both have very low glycemic indexes, with the gylcemic load the sweet potato weighing in 17, and the yam weighing in at 16. Additionally, the sweet potato was found by one animal study to actually benefit glycemic resistance in those with diabetes-- preliminary evidence that long-term consumption of these miracle-vegetables can actually help to fight against diabetes symptoms.

Other health benefits found in both the sweet potato and yam include similarly high concentrations of key minerals. The yam and sweet potato are both loaded with potassium, magnesium, and phosphorous, as well as several so-called trace minerals: selenium, zinc, and copper. Even when it comes to these health benefits, the sweet potato tends to win the competition.

If there is one thing that can be said about the American diet, it is that we are severely undernourished when it comes to fruits and vegetables. knowing this, it would be false to say that eating yams could possibly be a bad idea. However, given the number of unsurpassed benefits of the sweet potato, it is certainly the preferable option for health-conscious consumers who want to choose the best vegetable for their own." - http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...lth.html?cat=22

I hope you all enjoyed this tidbit of info!

Last edited by BMarieB : Fri, Feb-19-10 at 11:27.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 11:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've always heard that American yams and sweet potatoes are the same, just different varieties. True yams are in Africa and maybe Asia.
http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/myste...weetpotato.html
I think unless you go to a specialty store, selling African yams which look very different from anything we normally see, you're always getting a sweet potato, even if the sign says "yam".

Quote:
Yams in the U.S. are actually sweet potatoes with relatively moist texture and orange flesh. Although the terms are generally used interchangeably, the U.S. Department of Agriculture requires that the label "yam" always be accompanied by "sweet potato." The following information outlines several differences between sweet potatoes and yams.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/...weetpotato.html
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 11:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I've always heard that American yams and sweet potatoes are related. True yams are in Africa and maybe Asia.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/myste...weetpotato.html
I'm not sure about the info you posted. I think unless you go to a specialty store you're always getting a sweet potato, even if the sign says "yam".

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/...weetpotato.html

Very interesting!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 11:23
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

In the US yams and sweet potatoes are the same thing.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 11:30
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Thanks for all the good info Marie!

I have seen the "purple" yams at Whole Foods...they called them "japanese yams".

They were more money too....now I know that my sweet potatoes are the right ones.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 11:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Lily
In the US yams and sweet potatoes are the same thing.

You would think they'd have different nutritional stats as they obviously do not look the same.
I think they even taste different.
How are the the same?

Seriously asking, not turning this into a war-zone, hate that about writing, can't tell tone.

"Sweet potato
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Binomial name
Ipomoea batatas

The sweet potato is only distantly related to the potato (Solanum tuberosum). The softer, orange variety is commonly marketed as a "yam" in parts of North America, a practice intended to differentiate it from the firmer, white variety. The sweet potato is very distinct from the actual yam, which is native to Africa and Asia and belong to the monocot family Dioscoreaceae. To prevent confusion, the United States Department of Agriculture requires that sweet potatoes labeled as "yams" also be labeled as "sweet potatoes".

So confused.... Why even call anything a yam then, just throw them all in one damn bin and call it the same.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 11:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Thanks for all the good info Marie!

I have seen the "purple" yams at Whole Foods...they called them "japanese yams".

They were more money too....now I know that my sweet potatoes are the right ones.

Thanks Judy, I was bored and decided to do some research.

Learning a bit from it though.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 11:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Apparently people from Africa in the US called the one variety "yams" because they reminded them of what they had at home, and I guess the name stuck! I've seen them labeled Garnet Yams in the store. They're common as hell around here, I don't think they're priced much differently than what they label "Sweet potatoes".
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 13:59
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Garnet yams and Jewel yams are sweet potatoes, usually organic.

I don't know anything about Japanese yams. They very well might be true yams.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 14:01

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

There are also, in addition to the orange ones, yellow sweet potatoes. They are very good, less sweet and, in my opinion, slightly drier than the orange variety. I think they are a cross between the sweet and regular potatoes.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-10, 09:45
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 180/175/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Sweet Potato

Great info about the sweet potato. Ellie Kreiger says they also are full of estrogen! That will make us women very happy
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-10, 10:54
Attitude is a Choice

There is an asian yam that is used to make the Shirataki noodles.....that one of nutritionally bankrupt as it is all fiber...very little of anything else.

I imagine that there are many varities of yams and sweet potatoes.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-21-10, 03:21

Plan: Stillman's South Beach
Stats: 190/133/133 Female 5ft 9in shrunk!!
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have always known Yam and sweet potato to be two totally different things. You can get yam here at some of the London food markets. It's not sweet and is quite dry. Sweet potato is also known as as Kumara

Ok, this seems to completely contradict the above. I also read that there are over 150 different types of yam...maybe this explains the confusion. Plus I have to be honest it's been over 20 years since I last had yam. I was having dinner at a friends house...I did not like it at all but of course I did not want to be rude so I ate it all up ...what I remember most was a dry bitty texture. On the other hand I love Sweet Potato/Kumara.

Last edited by niknak : Sun, Feb-21-10 at 06:10.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-21-10, 10:22
Attitude is a Choice

Being a root veggie, I'd imagine that the differing minerals in soil at different locations around the world, would account for the many differing types of yams.
Thanks for the links NikNak!!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-21-10, 11:52

Plan: Stillman's South Beach
Stats: 190/133/133 Female 5ft 9in shrunk!!
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Being a root veggie, I'd imagine that the differing minerals in soil at different locations around the world, would account for the many differing types of yams.
Thanks for the links NikNak!!

That would make sense, never thought of that.