Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 09:46

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 167/156/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Doc Says I'm "Starving" myself

So, for the past few days, I've been feeling very funny. Hazy, shaky, weak, light headed, etc etc etc. I've been having these sharp, shooting pains in my head, too. Almost like a really bad migraine, but only lasting a few seconds. At first, he said he wanted to send me for an MRI. But then, he looked at my chart and realized I had lost 10 pounds since I was last there - a month ago. We then started comparing my diet BEFORE, to my diet NOW. While he's pleased with my WOE, he believes that I am starving myself, only consuming around 1300 calories a day - even lower over this past weekend. He pointed out that with my WOE before...a lunch at McDonalds, for example, could be (with the milk shakes I regularly drank) easily over 1300 calories for ONE MEAL...and I'm doing that in a WHOLE DAY now. He thinks after two weeks, my body is getting through using it's reserves and is finally 'realizing' that it's not going to be fed the way it was before and therefore, freaking out. He wants me to up my calories to at least 1800 per day for a few days, to see how I feel. And honestly, as I'm sitting here finishing my celery with peanut butter, I'm realizing that I feel less 'hazy' than I did a few minutes ago. So maybe he's right. I hope so, because if not, they start poking around in my head...looking for scary things that shouldn't be there. I must say, though...I'm worried about increasing my calories. I've seen suck wicked results so far...I don't want to back track. He did say that if I feel better after a few days of more calories, than at least we know what it is. He said if I want to then cut back on the calories again, and deal with feeling 'hazy' for a while until I lose the weight I want...that he wouldn't *recommend* it...but that it would be my choice and then at least I'd know what the cause is.

One more thing before I run...I know we're only supposed to have 2 tbsp of peanut butter a day, but for the sake of adding some calories, does anyone think it would be ok to have 3 tbsp a day for the next few days?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 09:57
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAnne1
So, for the past few days, I've been feeling very funny. Hazy, shaky, weak, light headed, etc etc etc. I've been having these sharp, shooting pains in my head, too. Almost like a really bad migraine, but only lasting a few seconds. At first, he said he wanted to send me for an MRI. But then, he looked at my chart and realized I had lost 10 pounds since I was last there - a month ago. We then started comparing my diet BEFORE, to my diet NOW. While he's pleased with my WOE, he believes that I am starving myself, only consuming around 1300 calories a day - even lower over this past weekend. He pointed out that with my WOE before...a lunch at McDonalds, for example, could be (with the milk shakes I regularly drank) easily over 1300 calories for ONE MEAL...and I'm doing that in a WHOLE DAY now. He thinks after two weeks, my body is getting through using it's reserves and is finally 'realizing' that it's not going to be fed the way it was before and therefore, freaking out. He wants me to up my calories to at least 1800 per day for a few days, to see how I feel. And honestly, as I'm sitting here finishing my celery with peanut butter, I'm realizing that I feel less 'hazy' than I did a few minutes ago. So maybe he's right. I hope so, because if not, they start poking around in my head...looking for scary things that shouldn't be there. I must say, though...I'm worried about increasing my calories. I've seen suck wicked results so far...I don't want to back track. He did say that if I feel better after a few days of more calories, than at least we know what it is. He said if I want to then cut back on the calories again, and deal with feeling 'hazy' for a while until I lose the weight I want...that he wouldn't *recommend* it...but that it would be my choice and then at least I'd know what the cause is.

One more thing before I run...I know we're only supposed to have 2 tbsp of peanut butter a day, but for the sake of adding some calories, does anyone think it would be ok to have 3 tbsp a day for the next few days?

No. to the 3 tbs peanut butter.
I do think that you need to begin your phase II and add in 1 fruit a day....and also make sure that you are getting your beans/legumes not only hummus, into your food. Up your protein to add calories. You can have hard boiled eggs as a snack also.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 10:05

BF:

So, should I add the 1 serving of fruit starting today, Judy? Would strawberries with a few almond slices be ok? As for beans...I'm not a big fan of them. How about chick peas in my salad? How many? Also...do green beans constitute? Because I eat those...

The doctor said to go up to around 1800 calories a day for the next few days. Does that sound ok?

Is this anxiety I'm having normal? I'm doing so well...I don't want to back track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
No. to the 3 tbs peanut butter.
I do think that you need to begin your phase II and add in 1 fruit a day....and also make sure that you are getting your beans/legumes not only hummus, into your food. Up your protein to add calories. You can have hard boiled eggs as a snack also.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 10:07

Plan: DSP
Stats: 232/197/150 Female 5'2"
BF:lots of it
Progress: 43%

I think your doctor makes a good point.
When you switch from eatting tons of carbs, really high fat foods with breading, and lots of sugar to a low carb diet it's only natural for your body to freak out a little. You are going through a de-tox of sorts and that can cause the hazy and/or sluggish feeling. Lots of people experience headaches, mood swings, and sometimes flu-like symptoms. You will get through it though. Just make sure you keep drinking lots of water.

And as far as upping your calories, I don't see anything wrong with that, as long as you are choosing protein. I wouldn't up my cheese, dairy, or nut/seed intake though.

I'm not really sure about peanut butter though. Personally I don't eat much of it myself because it makes my face break out. I also might be a little leary to up my PB intake cause it has a lot of fat in it.

Well there's my 2 cents. Take from it what you want.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 10:10
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
So, should I add the 1 serving of fruit starting today, Judy? Would strawberries with a few almond slices be ok? As for beans...I'm not a big fan of them. How about chick peas in my salad? How many? Also...do green beans constitute? Because I eat those...

The doctor said to go up to around 1800 calories a day for the next few days. Does that sound ok?

Is this anxiety I'm having normal? I'm doing so well...I don't want to back track.

Yes, have your strawberries with almond slivers.
chick peas are fine in a salad, 1/3 -1/2 cup is a serving.
Have you ever had split pea soup? or lentil?
green beans are a phase I veggie and not a legume or bean.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 10:20

When you say you're not a big fan of beans, I'm just curious as to which ones you have tried and why you're not a fan.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 11:02

BF:

Judy -

Oh gosh....I'm actually really excited to have my strawberries and almonds later. I used to eat them with granola - it was my "treat"...but I can't have the granola any more and can't think of anything else that's crunchy and acceptable, other than almonds.

I will add the chick peas to my salad tomorrow. 1/3 cup to start...see how I feel.

I have had split pea soup and love it, but was under the impression that peas were considered a starchy veggie, so I've been avoiding them.

I think for now I will stick mainly with what I have been eating, but will add some avacado and chickpeas to my lunch salad and then a serving of strawberries with almonds at some other point in the day, maybe with breakfast as long as I don't experience the sugar cravings eating them so early in the day. What is a 'proper' serving of strawberries?

I'm sorry to be asking all these questions, but, do appreciate all of your wisdom and support - EVERYONE - thank you.

On a side note, I had my celery with peanut butter and then a salad and I do feel an awful lot less hazy and disoriented than I did this morning. So, hopefully the doctor was right and I only need less calories...brain tumor...well, that just scares the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Yes, have your strawberries with almond slivers.
chick peas are fine in a salad, 1/3 -1/2 cup is a serving.
Have you ever had split pea soup? or lentil?
green beans are a phase I veggie and not a legume or bean.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 11:04

BF:

It's a texture thing for me. Most everything I'm not a fan of is because of a texture thing. I'm weird like that. I may like the way something TASTES, but certain things feel very odd in my mouth and it grosses me out. Beans (I've tried a lot of varieties and don't like many), pudding, jello, yogurt, cottage cheese...to name a few. There are many more things. It would take a while to list them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee4LC
When you say you're not a big fan of beans, I'm just curious as to which ones you have tried and why you're not a fan.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 11:15
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
It's a texture thing for me. Most everything I'm not a fan of is because of a texture thing. I'm weird like that. I may like the way something TASTES, but certain things feel very odd in my mouth and it grosses me out. Beans (I've tried a lot of varieties and don't like many), pudding, jello, yogurt, cottage cheese...to name a few. There are many more things. It would take a while to list them.

I kinda hate to say this but you sound like a 5 year old kid.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 11:23

BF:

And my boss just told me last week that i looked like a 4 year old with my new sunglasses. Though, I'm told that I am, and always have been, very mature for my age. I don't mean to come across as whiny...sometimes typing takes away all tone / emotion...it's a real problem. I happen to love the way yogurt tastes, but it literally makes me gag. Apparently it's an inherited problem, because my mother and maternal grandfather are the same way. Or maybe it's learned. Who knows, but I just can't eat certain things. Sorry for being childish.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 12:47

I can kind of relate. I use to have a real problem with jello. Just couldn't get past the jiggly slimeyness of it. Would even have the gag-reflex happen if I just looked at it. I'm better about it now. Not sure what changed in me...maybe dealing with hospital stays and kids, you just do what you have to!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 12:55
Think Pink

Plan: ♥Calorie Counting
Stats: 265/195/175 Female 5' 10"
BF: a few
Progress: 78%

Quote:

Kelly my son is EXACTLY the same was and has been forever!!! Still is. Actually I know a few people who experience this. I remember my son saying things made him feel like he had greasy teeth!! LMAO We crack up to this day about that statement. But he too - literally GAGS. He still cannot eat jello, yogurt, creamy dressings, even ground beef grosses him out. I know there's more but I can think of them right now.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 13:02

BF:

Oh god - creamy dressings and ground beef, too! I know how he feels! I almost wonder if it's some sort of disorder - because anyone I've ever met that has the same problems, has the same problem with all the same foods, too. It's very strange, but I know I'm not the only one. It's a bummer, too. Because I really like the TASTE of cottage cheese...and some yogurt...but the texture makes me gag, sometimes just even thinking about it. I'm not sure why it happens but it really does limit my food choices. Honestly though, I'd rather have limited choices than sit there choking something down, just for the sake of variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmd
Kelly my son is EXACTLY the same was and has been forever!!! Still is. Actually I know a few people who experience this. I remember my son saying things made him feel like he had greasy teeth!! LMAO We crack up to this day about that statement. But he too - literally GAGS. He still cannot eat jello, yogurt, creamy dressings, even ground beef grosses him out. I know there's more but I can think of them right now.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 14:00
Think Pink

Plan: ♥Calorie Counting
Stats: 265/195/175 Female 5' 10"
BF: a few
Progress: 78%

OMG - cottage cheese NO WAY for my son. He can't eat lasagna or baked ziti because of the ricotta either. I've given up forcing him because he has such a physical reaction (gagging). I thought he was just being a pain in the ass...but I don't think so really.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 12:48
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/161.8/145 Female 5'3"
BF:

Quote:
Judy -

Oh gosh....I'm actually really excited to have my strawberries and almonds later. I used to eat them with granola - it was my "treat"...but I can't have the granola any more and can't think of anything else that's crunchy and acceptable, other than almonds.

I will add the chick peas to my salad tomorrow. 1/3 cup to start...see how I feel.

I have had split pea soup and love it, but was under the impression that peas were considered a starchy veggie, so I've been avoiding them.

I think for now I will stick mainly with what I have been eating, but will add some avacado and chickpeas to my lunch salad and then a serving of strawberries with almonds at some other point in the day, maybe with breakfast as long as I don't experience the sugar cravings eating them so early in the day. What is a 'proper' serving of strawberries?

I'm sorry to be asking all these questions, but, do appreciate all of your wisdom and support - EVERYONE - thank you.

On a side note, I had my celery with peanut butter and then a salad and I do feel an awful lot less hazy and disoriented than I did this morning. So, hopefully the doctor was right and I only need less calories...brain tumor...well, that just scares the hell out of me.

KellyAnne --

Did you ever get an answer as to what is a proper serving of strawberries? I love those berries but am also aware of their high sugar content. Let me know if you ever got an answer.

TIA