Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 06:14
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 197/192/170 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Former Ww Newbie Wannabe

Good Morning,

My name is Cathy...I live in nothern Indiana, and am trying to gather all the info and education I can on the transformation from living the Weight Watchers way of life.... so I can begin hangin' out on the South Beach!!! I am 54 years old, currently been on WW since February, and have lost right around 30 pounds. My reason for wanting to switch is that physically I feel better when I don't eat so many breads, pasta's, etc....carbs, if you will. Yes, I know, South Beach is not just a low carb way of eating, but I think from everything I have read, and yes, I have purchased the book (s)....that this way of eating will work best for me. Years ago I was an "Atkid" and lost 40 pounds in 4 months....but then ate a few pieces of bread and some baked potatoes, and lo and behold...a year had passed and I had gained it all back + 10 as a bonus!! Thus, I don't want to go that route again. The variety of foods on the Beach is very enticing to me, as it was in WW....but I am starting to get hungry on WW!!! These points don't seem to stretch near enough anymore! LOL!! My question as I begin my new venture is have any of you gone from WW to the Beach, and if so....was it confusing for you, as it is seeming to me right now? I am getting messed up on portion sizes, and measuring. I read one place where you don't have to keep track, then I read somewhere else where you need to. Yikes...I just want to do it the correct way. If any of you have any suggestions or tidbits to help a "former" points counter.....I would appreciate it. I almost feel that WW and South Beach are very similar...minus the "bad" carbs. Am I way off base here? Could be I already "get it" but just don't realize it, and am making it way too hard on myself to get ready for the switch!! By the way....I would love to lose 30 more pounds on the Beach! Your help is so appreciated!

Thank You,
Cathy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 06:47

Plan: hflc
Stats: 232/200/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hello Cathy, I have tried and failed WW several times over the past seven years. I have to tell you that this is my fourth try at South Beach but the only time I have stayed through the first two weeks. That is why I have been successful. It truly does take two weeks to rid yourself of carb cravings. I can't express with words how happy I am being on the Beach. At the beginning I continued counting points out of habit and it seemed I was getting much more food for the same points once I eliminated the junk. I am never hungry. This last time I jumped in with full all intention of this being my last diet. For me, that meant eating all the nuts and cheese I wanted. I never limited any of my food intake during induction, fearing that it might steer me back in the wrong direction. Even with all the food I could eat, I rarely went over my reccomended WW points. By the end of two weeks my appetite had diminished substantially and my portion sizes have been normal ever since. I lost 12lbs during those first two weeks. Ever since entering phase two I have added a variety of foods none of which I really measure out except chocolate (about a half serving of very dark each day), fruit(1-2 servings) and nuts(28 almonds daily-sometimes more if I get hungry). Other than that, my body tells me when enough is enough-something it never quite knew how to do before. To date I have lost 28lbs and I've only been eating this way since June 6th of this year. Somewhere along the way without even realizing it, I stopped counting points. Its easier to not have to weigh, measure and count. Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll do great!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 08:10

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

High Cathy,And welcome! This is a very supportive place. It has helped me tremendously to have somewhere I can go to ask questions, vent, or just feel like people understand what a person goes through on their new way of eating.One thing that you'll see come up again and again is, keep a copy of the SBD book handy and keep referring to it when you are uncertain. It sounds like it's too obvious to be worth mentioning, but you'd be surprised how often you stray without realizing it. Old diets die hard.Do start by thouroughly reading SBD so that you aren't confused about what people say...they may also be confused without realizing it. Better to go by the book at least for the first month or two.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 08:33
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmack
Good Morning,

My name is Cathy...I live in nothern Indiana, and am trying to gather all the info and education I can on the transformation from living the Weight Watchers way of life.... so I can begin hangin' out on the South Beach!!! I am 54 years old, currently been on WW since February, and have lost right around 30 pounds. My reason for wanting to switch is that physically I feel better when I don't eat so many breads, pasta's, etc....carbs, if you will. Yes, I know, South Beach is not just a low carb way of eating, but I think from everything I have read, and yes, I have purchased the book (s)....that this way of eating will work best for me. Years ago I was an "Atkid" and lost 40 pounds in 4 months....but then ate a few pieces of bread and some baked potatoes, and lo and behold...a year had passed and I had gained it all back + 10 as a bonus!! Thus, I don't want to go that route again. The variety of foods on the Beach is very enticing to me, as it was in WW....but I am starting to get hungry on WW!!! These points don't seem to stretch near enough anymore! LOL!! My question as I begin my new venture is have any of you gone from WW to the Beach, and if so....was it confusing for you, as it is seeming to me right now? I am getting messed up on portion sizes, and measuring. I read one place where you don't have to keep track, then I read somewhere else where you need to. Yikes...I just want to do it the correct way. If any of you have any suggestions or tidbits to help a "former" points counter.....I would appreciate it. I almost feel that WW and South Beach are very similar...minus the "bad" carbs. Am I way off base here? Could be I already "get it" but just don't realize it, and am making it way too hard on myself to get ready for the switch!! By the way....I would love to lose 30 more pounds on the Beach! Your help is so appreciated!

Thank You,
Cathy

Hi and Welcome Cathy!!

jmr has given you her experience on SB and now I will give you mine.

I've been on SB since 4/2004. I've lost 124 lbs and am keeping it off for almost 3 yrs now. So I'm very happy eating this way. In my dieting history, which is 40 yrs long, I've gone the WW route many times and never with success. I was not able to master the point system and was always hungry!! Thats what caught my eye a bout SB as in the book he says that doing this plan is not about being hungry!! That got me!! If I am hungry, I can eat something!! WOW...what a concept!!

I'm a chronic overeater so learning portion control was big for me. I found meal plan charts and food lists at the SBD site itself and the charts showed me how to eat this way...right down to portion amounts on calorie dense foods like nuts, seeds and fats. I was learning about real food....not learning about WW points of sugar laden foods!! These food lists and charts are on the 1st page of my journal and you are welcome to go there and use them....I actually recommend that you do this!!

While we do not count carbs or calories, it is still wise to pay attention to portion sizes. I will give you a recap of what you should eat on phase I:
1- enough protein and phase I veggies to fill you.
2- 2 cups low or non fat dairy daily
3- 2 servings bean/legumes daily, 1/3-1/2 cup is a serving
4- 1 serving nuts or nut butter daily- a serving is 1 oz.
breakdowns per item are on the food list.
5- sweet treat- up to 100 calories per day- see food chart or meal plan for more of what you can have. many like the NSA fudgsicles.

So thats the basic breakdown for phase I. count points if it will help you as you transition...but you won't do it for long!! This is easy once you get the hang of it. The Meal Plan charts are great for helping you to learn to eat this way!!

HTH!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 09:32

Plan: hflc
Stats: 232/200/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Judy, I've been waiting in suspense for your response to this one. You always know the right things to say
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 16:19
Registered Member

BF:
Default Former WW Beach Wannabe

Thanks so much to all you gals for your replys to my concerns from this morning. I am currently reading ALL of Judy's journal, and I am thrilled to see that we love the same foods! I am beginning to think that this transformation from WW to SBD won't be such a difficult one at that.

I do have just a couple more questions before I begin my new venture. The 0 calorie 0 carb 0 fat butter spray that I have been using with WW is the better choice for me on the beach as well, correct? By the way, I affectionately call it "my SBUTTER"....take it whenever I go out to eat. And...my next question, is when you are eating your wonderful sounding grilled veggies, do you eat a good plate full, or are we talking just 1/2 cup?
Give me the plate full, please????!!!!! LOL!!

Again, I am so happy to make your acquaintances, and receive your guidance, as I learn life on the beach!!

Cathy
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 16:38
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Thanks so much to all you gals for your replys to my concerns from this morning. I am currently reading ALL of Judy's journal, and I am thrilled to see that we love the same foods! I am beginning to think that this transformation from WW to SBD won't be such a difficult one at that.

I do have just a couple more questions before I begin my new venture. The 0 calorie 0 carb 0 fat butter spray that I have been using with WW is the better choice for me on the beach as well, correct? By the way, I affectionately call it "my SBUTTER"....take it whenever I go out to eat. And...my next question, is when you are eating your wonderful sounding grilled veggies, do you eat a good plate full, or are we talking just 1/2 cup?
Give me the plate full, please????!!!!! LOL!!

Again, I am so happy to make your acquaintances, and receive your guidance, as I learn life on the beach!!

Cathy

Hi Cathy!!
I'm glad that you found my food entries....yes, I do like to eat good food!!
why do you carry the butter spray? You can use real full fat dressing when you go out to eat...just don't use a ton of it...2 tbsp is a serving.

On the grilled veggie plate...YES!!! eat as much as you need to feel full!!

no 1/2 cups on any phase I veggie....1/2 cup will be for when you are in phase II and add starchy veggies.

isn't that just the best?!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 18:33
Registered Member

BF:
Default Butter Spray (Sbutter)

I used the butter spray on things like oatmeal, fish, potatoes and bread (which I will no longer have for awhile, of course, except for the fish).....I am figuring I should still use that instead of margarine or butter. I never used it as a salad dressing. I guess I wasn't very clear on the "sbutter" issue. LOL!!
I LOVE the Paul Newman light dressings....especially the sun dried tomato.
Yummy! I will have to research the SBD book to see if I can still use it on the beach! Thanks Judy!

Cathy
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 19:36
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
I used the butter spray on things like oatmeal, fish, potatoes and bread (which I will no longer have for awhile, of course, except for the fish).....I am figuring I should still use that instead of margarine or butter. I never used it as a salad dressing. I guess I wasn't very clear on the "sbutter" issue. LOL!!
I LOVE the Paul Newman light dressings....especially the sun dried tomato.
Yummy! I will have to research the SBD book to see if I can still use it on the beach! Thanks Judy!

Cathy

This is the fats list from our food list:

FATS/OILS

Quote:
The following monounsaturated oils are recommended to be consumed daily:
Oil, canola
Oil, olive
Other Oil Choices that may be chosen (Polyunsaturated or a blend of Monounsaturated):
Corn
Enova - Deleted
Flax
Grapeseed
Peanut
Safflower
Sesame
Soybean
Sunflower
Other Fat Choices:
Avocado - 1/3 whole = 1 TBS oil
Guacamole - 1/2 cup = 1 TBS oil
Margarine - Chose those that do not contain Trans Fatty Acids such as Fleishmann's Premium Olive Oil or Smart Balance
Mayonnaise - Regular - 1 TBS
Mayonnaise - Low Fat - 2 TBS (avoid varieties made with high fructose corn syrup)
Olives (Green or Ripe) 15 = 1/2 TBS oil
Salad Dressing - 2 TBS. Use those that contain 3 grams of sugar or less per 2 TBS. Best choices contain canola or olive oil. Low carb salad dressings may also be used if they meet these guidelines.

Depending on the ingredients of your butter spray, will tell you if it is a SBD friendly product. I think that it is probably OK...but it is a processed product and I try to avoid them.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-08, 16:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/200/180 Female 5'6
BF:0
Progress: 0%
Default WW as well!

hi cathy!

im also transitioning from WW to SB- i as well lost 30 lbs on WW since Jan, and now...im starving! and i have been losing track of my goals- its hard b/c i cant count points everywhere i go!

im starting tomorrow- yea i know its friday, but what the heck!

Nicole
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 07:41
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Lunababy!
Thanks for replying to my post. I wish you great luck with the transition from WW to SBD.....my first week has been a bit of a whirlwind in my head...I am trying to sort out the South Beach life, from the WW way, and then I am also carrying around leftovers from Atkins....HOLY COW!! Good luck to you, and keep posting your success with the switch! OH! But, I am losing this week....but, am I doing it 100% the correct way in any one program....I don't know!! LOL!!!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 07:56
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Hi Lunababy!
Thanks for replying to my post. I wish you great luck with the transition from WW to SBD.....my first week has been a bit of a whirlwind in my head...I am trying to sort out the South Beach life, from the WW way, and then I am also carrying around leftovers from Atkins....HOLY COW!! Good luck to you, and keep posting your success with the switch! OH! But, I am losing this week....but, am I doing it 100% the correct way in any one program....I don't know!! LOL!!!

Hi Cathy!

If you would post a few days of your menus, I can give you feedback. Each week will get easier for you.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 09:05

hey does anyone know about pesto? is that SB friendly?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 09:08
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNABABY
hey does anyone know about pesto? is that SB friendly?

Yes, it is....its what you will put it on, is the question?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 09:16

oh judy, pesto chicken is fabulous!! we can have whole wheat pasta though, right? (phase 2 of course!)