Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 17:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/168/140
BF:
Progress: 55%
Thumbs up La Tortilla Factory low carb tortilla's

I recently purchased the whole wheat and the garlic and herb tortillas and I like them.

I made taco's which were good - I fried the tortillas and they browned nicely and held up when I filled them with my favorite things.

I also made quesadillas oh how I love them and they were also really good.

I like them both flavor wise equally and think that if I had skills to make any sort of wrap sandwich I would definately use these. They were cheap I paid I think $2.99 per bag and you get 10 in a bag.

The cool part is that they also give you the effective carb count - when I first looked at the bag it read as 12g of carbs and I said OMG I just ate 2 of them. Then I read further and they actually were 12g minus 9g of fiber so that left 3g total.

Any recipe ideas?

Shannon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 20:37

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

I bought a bunch of them once, I loved them but they're way too expensive to get here.

I used them as pizza crust, piled on tuna salad, chicken salad, roast beef and swiss cheese etc., (not all at once!) and rolled them up, made bean burritos using Eden Organic black soy beans, that's all I can think of right now.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 13:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

I have made all of those things, wraps and quesadillas and the like, but the most fun thing I ever made with these is a Torta Rustica, an Italian type cheese and vegetable pie in many layers.

I used the tortillas on the bottom, sides, top and between layers, in a large springform pan. The layers were made of ricotta, parmesan, spinach and eggs. Garlic, nutmeg, fresh ground black pepper were the main seasonings.

Delicious and fun, and very suitable for a special family potluck. Everybody loved it, including me. Made 12 HEARTY servings. Used 4-5 tortillas total (can't remember how many layers I ended up with.

PS: these tortillas are available in Canada, check out the LowCarb Co-op forum, 1 package is very expensive but the discounts make them very do-able if more are bought at one time, which also spreads out in-Canada shipping costs... and the price hasn't changed despite the dollar fluctuations (ahem, DROPS) since last September.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 18:26

Plan: LC
Stats: 193/159.9/125 Female 158
BF:
Progress: 49%

Where do you buy them? I live in vancouver and I don't know where I can find them or if I have to order online.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 10:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Duchesse, as far as I know they are only available online or mail-order in Canada, through my tiny little company service, LowCarb FoodExperts Canada.

The LowCarb Co-op subforum in the LowCarb Products forum has more info, and you can just click on my logo below in the signature to go straight to the webpage...
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 15:31

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Tortillas

Received mine today and looking forward to trying them...
...I ordered the garlic & herb variety and they sure smell great! Nice texture, too.

I think I'll use them for quesadillas for sure, and as the wrap for a sandwich they look perfect.

Donald
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 02:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 267/264/185 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 4%

I've been thinking about trying them out. DW do they taste as good as they smell?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 02:39
Registered Member

Stats: 388/287/200
BF:
Progress: 54%

I picked up a few packages of the wheat variety and I must say they are really good. I have used them as wraps for sandwiches, for LC tacos, and for pizza crusts.

I keep one pack in the fridge and a couple in the freezer for when I want something a little different.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 07:56

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:

Where do you get these in the US? I am in PA and these sound excellent. Can you get them at a store or do they have a website?

Thanks!
Linda
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 08:38

BF:
Arrow He tried them...

and he loved them!

Yum! Made quesadillas with them last night...mexican cheese, chunks of grilled chicken, mushrooms, red pepper and scallions. brushed the tortillas with some olive oil and grilled them. Tasted excellent!

The texture is very good, smell is great and they're visually appealing. I'm looking forward to trying them for wrap sandwiches or as a pizza base.

Just FYI, I ate 3 with dinner (with salad) and that was plenty.

fern2340, you can order them online from netrician.com (click the link for LOW CARB MEGA STORE in the upper right hand corner of your screen. Super fast service (3 days) and everything I've ordered has been well packed.

Enjoy, everyone!

Donald
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 08:50
Registered Member

Stats: 388/287/200
BF:
Progress: 54%

They are also available through Netrition.com
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 08:57

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:

Thank you both for the info! I think I'll go order some now!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 09:21
Registered Member

Stats: 300/252/195
BF:
Progress: 46%

Whoa Donald, I just noticed your amazing results. I live in the same area as you do. I haven't posted enough to send you a PM but would love to chat with you about where you shop and what items you like to get. I think my email is listed in my profile. Drop me a line if you have the time.

Brian
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 09:28

BF:
Post Hey B_J...

Always happy to share information with others...
...but I didn't see your email address in your profile.

You can email me at

donald.rolfe~careermedia.com

Take care!

Donald
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 14:31

Stats: 267/264/185 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 4%

I ordered a case of the garlic and herb. I hope they are tasty because this will fill the last void in my new low carb lifestyle. I'm excited...Oh yeah thanks for the taste test results.