Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 07:26

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Jeans size and when to go down

Over the last 9 months, I've lost about 30lbs. (15 of that from SB). I'm still wearing the same size jeans I wore in Feb when I was 30 lbs. heavier. I only have 1 pair of jeans left that I can wear comfortably (size 16) without them looking like they swallow me (all my others are size 18s), but I need a very tightened belt with them or they will be falling down. I swore that I would not invest in clothing but rather buy 1 pair of jeans at each size and just wash them until I was at my goal weight. So today, I will be heading to the store to try on a smaller size. Why am I so nervous to try a smaller size on? I think I'm scared that they will be too tight and then I'll be disappointed. I have an apple shape with a not very defined waistline.

When did everyone else finally go to a smaller pant size? I'm wondering if I'm truly ready.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 08:12
Registered Member

Plan: sbd only
Stats: 293/214/176 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:WTM
Progress: 68%

sounds like you need new jeans. go for it. try the 14s but i bet they are big too!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 08:28

BF:

Thanks Nessa, but I'm not quite confident that they will be. My size 16s are the same in the waist area as my 18s are, they just fit snugger in the legs and butt. I've wore this size for many years so it would be a shocker to buy a size 14. I just don't know if I'm quite there yet.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 08:37

Plan: General LC, Paleo
Stats: 156/156/137 Female 5'8.5''
BF:37%/30.0%/20%

Don't worry too much! You have already accomplished so so much, and even if you do not fit yet into size 14, it will happen, that's for sure! So if you do not fit today, just see is as a delay until you do, and that will be soon!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 09:13
Registered Member

Plan: sbd only
Stats: 293/214/176 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:WTM
Progress: 68%

size is just a number anyway!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 10:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/133/120 Female 60 in
BF:52.4/35/22
Progress: 76%

I've taken to buying things 1 size too small. I adjust buttons for a few weeks, and then have to adjust them back, but so far it's worked and I'm able to get a decent amount of use out of something before it's too big. I was in 18's when I started too, and now I'm pretty much in 12's, but I have some 10's and 8's that I can squeeze into. I'm shooting to be a 6, so I figure 8's aren't a bad thing, I can probably still wear them when I'm a 6.

I know most people caution against buying things too small, but when you're actively losing weight, I think it's okay.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 10:25
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

As my weight came down, I kept going shopping to try on different sizes..... Just to see what fit at that time. When I got to 170, I do recall shopping in a missy department for the first time...that was very liberating!!

Sounds like a shopping trip is in your near future! Even if you don't buy anything, trying on sizes will help you get an idea of where you actually are.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 11:06

Plan: <1250 cal - Flexitarian
Stats: 243/199/130 Female 5'3.5"
BF:57%/Ugh/22%
Progress: 39%

Quote:
I'm scared that they will be too tight and then I'll be disappointed.

Quote:
My size 16s are the same in the waist area as my 18s are, they just fit snugger in the legs and butt.
Different brands fit differently. You might wear a 14 in one brand and a 16 in another, or whatever. It doesn't mean anything.

Just buy clothes that fit. You will feel great wearing them, and that will encourage you to continue to your goal.

You could always take them in a little if you can sew, or even find a seamstress to do it. It might cost less than buying new jeans as time goes on.

Congratulations on your great progress! I think new jeans would make a wonderful reward for yourself!

Best wishes!
Barb
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 11:13

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I sugest going shopping and trying on a bunch of stuff. Buy what fits the best and dont' worry about what number is on the size label. Sizes vary so much from one brand to another that it's not really a true measure anyway.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 11:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/133.0/129 Female 5'4"
BF:22.83
Progress: 92%

Hi Lawoman75
Go and try on jeans and see how they fit. Every brand is sized differently. Take you time, go with a friend who won't lie to you about how things look, and just have fun. You don't have to buy anything. Just remember how you used to look and how you look now. You go girl. Suzanne
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 12:19

BF:

Well, I'm happy to report that I found a great pair of jeans at Target. Size 14!! Wooohooo! I went to wally world first and found some that fit great in the legs and waist but were way too long, so off to Target I went and found some that fit great and perfect length. They actually look like they fit instead of hanging on me.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 14:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Glad to hear it!!! How many pairs did you buy?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 15:14

BF:

I bought one pair only since they were $30. I'll wear these and my one of pair of 16s for a while until I have to go down again which will probably be another 15 lbs.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 15:20
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwoman75
I bought one pair only since they were $30. I'll wear these and my one of pair of 16s for a while until I have to go down again which will probably be another 15 lbs.

Don't forget your local thrift stores for buying sizes as you go down the scale. Usually very well priced and fairly good quality.....
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 15:40

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I got a nice pair of size 18 talls at the thrift store for $3.99. If I had to buy these new they would have been more like $58.

They are starting to get loose, so I have an excuse to go to the thrift store again next week