Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 07:51

Plan: NONE
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default Out Of Control

Hello Everyone,

I am out of control. I once was in control, but now I can't get started again. I know CAD works. I know it is the only thing that works for me. But I am putting it off.

Does anyone have a secret to my getting motivated again? I'm truly a mess.

I'm so embarrassed, I deleted half the posts in my journal and my stats. Let's just say, I lost 64 pounds with CAD. I have already gained back 45 and a half pounds. I can't stop!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any encouragement would be truly welcomed...

Snow
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 13:36
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolism Miracle
Stats: 264/231/199 Female 72
BF:Lots/Lots/Some
Progress: 51%

I know what you're feeling. I'm in the same boat. Lost 55 lbs on CALP 3 years ago, regained 40 and can't seem to get back to ANY healthy WOE. I plan it in my head every weekend, shop for it and then never seem to start. I'm thinking I need to do a very strict Atkins type induction to get by blood sugar in control, then do a modified CALP with balanced whole grains and veggies only for my carbs at reward meal. Good luck to you.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 21:27

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

I'm in the same boat but didn't do CAD. I am doing strick adkins by day and strict cad by night with complex carbs only and it ha helped my cravings along with cutting out sugar substitutes which make me hungrier after some trial and error...

CAD helps me to feel not deprived....and I have dessert once a week on weekends...or that is the plan.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-07, 11:17

BF:

Hello!

Thank you both for the suggestions... I, too, get hungrier if I eat fake sugar of any kind. I have always been that way.

I'm just struggling... Just like you, Barb, I plan for it, have everything ready, and then don't get started!!! I ask myself, "What is it going to take to make me wake up???" I don't want to know the answer.

I will continue to muddle through...

Best of luck to you both...

Snow
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-07, 15:01
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
I have 2 ideas for you (both of you and anyone else who is reading this and saying me too) - they are books, as I believe you have to make this commitment to yourself. I don't have a way to make it for you. This must be sooo painful and you must feel like you are a failure- don't. All the research shows that the metabolic defect we have is still there- eating LC just controls it. Once we eat the carbs the weight will be back. It is just biology.

The Beck Diet Solution is a way to help you change your thinking to help change your behavior- there is no diet she recomends. There is a book, a CD set and a workbook.

The Hellers have a book called the 7 Day Diet Solution- or something like that. It came out a couple of years ago- it is really a plan to get on a LC eating plan one step at a time.

I'm glad you wrote and are asking for help now- you have to know we are all there for you. Please please write more-
E
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-07, 09:49

BF:

Thank you, Eno. I plan to check on both of those books...

I will continue to write...

Snow
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-07, 13:33
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi Snow-
you can do it. The insulin really effects the hunger and the cravings. It is a cycle of carbs/insulin/fat/hunger/cravings/carbs/insulin. Don't lame yourself- there are enough 'experts' out there ready to do that! Give yourself some TLC.
Of course the AS foods make you hungry and induce cravings- our bodies release insulin in reponse to the sweet taste alone. So many people have posted that they started losing after stopping diet soda or gum. It is amazing.
Don't delete your posts- post more!
E
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-07, 09:12

Plan: CALP
Stats: 211/195.2/155 Female 5'6"
BF:goals180/165/155
Progress: 28%

Snow, I'm in the same boat... sort of. I've lost 25 lbs and with the stresses of work and school I have not been following the plan for the last month or so. I'm not gaining, but not losing either. I am maintaining for now by "being good" on the days when the scale is up a pound and "being lenient" on the days the scale says I'm on par.

I need to continue to lose, but I am finding it difficult to get back on track. I stress eat, so this is really an issue now. I know the biggest key is for me to get low carb foods stocked back up in the fridge so I have good options...

Anyway, you are not alone. You know it can be done, but have to find within yourself the motivation to get started.... tough, isn't it?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-07, 08:53

BF:

Oh, jddistef, Please, please, be careful...

Do not let yourself go completely... Trust me. I would give anything to be where I was when I only had half the weight back! But once your body gets used to carbs again, the pounds return so fast, you wonder how did that happen to me???

I have learned one thing most of all -- once you do low carb, NEVER LET YOURSELF EAT NORMALLY AGAIN!!!

It is a fact! The body of a carb addict craves and once it feeds, every pound that returns goes straight onto the middle section!!!

Best of luck to you... Be careful... And please don't fall like I did...

Snow
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-07, 09:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/166/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_bow

I have learned one thing most of all -- once you do low carb, NEVER LET YOURSELF EAT NORMALLY AGAIN!!!

I

Snow

IMHO eating refined carbs is not "normal". It is why I developed t2 diabetes and a host of other problems that are disappearing since I have been low carbing. I find it helps to consider low carb eating as normal and for a lifetime. I have been on Atkins for 1 1/2 years and feel good and "normal" on it. Good luck to you. You have done it before, you can do it again.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-07, 08:35

BF:

Duly noted, Serea...

Best of luck to you and your "normal" healthy WOE...

Snow
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-07, 08:59

BF:

Serea,

You struck a nerve with me. Who am I to label myself as "NOT NORMAL" when I do CAD? Why do I think I will ever be like everyone else? And why would I want to be? I only had self confidence on CAD. I only lost weight on CAD. I was normal then. I can't be "like everybody else." I spend so much time upset that my sister-in-law can take diet pills and drop weight like crazy that I forget, CAD did that for me!

My problem is jealousy. My problem is structure. My problem is self pity. My problem is most of all, not following the ONE PLAN in my life that made me an awesome person inside and out.

Thanks for the write up. I'm seriously considering coming back before it is too late for me and I, too, will become a diabetic like my father...

Thank you again for the reality check...I cashed it...

Snow
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-07, 22:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/129.4/133 Female 160cm
BF:28%
Progress: 112%

I know your pain because I understand how you're probably beating yourself up over this. You are human and we humans falter. You can do it, you've done it before which means you can do it again.... seriously
Make a decision to start RIGHT NOW and do it. Don't give yourself time to think about what your missing out on but think about what you're gaining.

It's always harder to get the ball rolling but once things are moving it's much easier to continue in the same direction.

Start with a small goal, that is strict low carb for say, 3 full days, then go from there. You'll find it much easier to stay with it from then because you'll already be in ketosis and your hunger will have diminished significantly.

I'm sorry to go on and on, I just hope you'll find the inner strength to get back on track for yourself.

Know that everyone here supports and understands what you're going through. I believe the majority of us have fallen off the low carb wagon at some stage and have had to battle with ourselves to get back onto the woe that best suits our bodies.

YOU CAN get back to where you were and then even further. Don't think about the big number, think about 2 pounds and then another and another. Before you know it there will only be 2 pounds left.

I think I'll shutup now
All the best
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 07:51
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi Snow-

I now consider CALP as normal for me. I HAVE to eat this way for my health, for my body. I just do it and have accepted this is it for me. I don't feel sorry for me- I feel bad for people who are still eating low fat and eating crap and hurting their bodies. I am actually quite smug about CALP- it is such an amazing gift I give myself daily.
Just another way to thik about it....
E
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 10:09

BF:

Thank you, mermaiden9, for the awesome, encouraging words. I printed what you wrote to put on my fridge...to start soon...to get back into control...to stop trying to rationalize eating like the rest of the world...to understand that I am not like they are...I will always wish I was like them, though. I do dread the same old feeling of waiting for the rm. I just don't want to die like this...

Thank you so much....

Brenda

I appreciate all that you said.