Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 10:52

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 205/140/130 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Thumbs up NEW START to LC while Breastfeeding!!!!

I am starting new again today. I am trying to keep my milk supply up while keeping my carbs down. I need to really pay attention to the calorie intake this time. Here is what we have so far today....

Breakfast:

3 eggs scrambles w/ 1 slice melted american cheese
2 sausage patties
water
green tea

This is approx. 500-600 calories.

for lunch I brought (haven't eaten yet)

hamburger patti w/ slice of american cheese to melt on top
broccoli cuts
water

I haven't decided on dinner yet??!! Whatever it is, I am also going to have my salad with spinach leaves.

This is just going to take some extra analyzing, but it will be worth it in the end.

Any meal ideas are appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 05:03
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Maybe toss a few snacks in there.....string cheese, cottage cheese, nuts, olives, etc.?

Here are two of my FAVORITE meals from the recipe forum here.....the juices are yummy over steamed cauliflower, and the leftovers are good for lunches. With "normal" sized portions, you'll still be in a decent calorie range.

Butter Roast Chicken and Cream Pork .
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 14:36
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Some people find that calories and protein are more important than carbs in keeping their supply up. I personally suffered a drop in milk supply when I dipped below about 60 net carbs per day, but every person is different. Best of luck to you!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 08:30

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

Hello!
I'm still breastfeeding my almost-7-month-old and am planning to continue for a long time. My milk supply is excellent! I had a drop in the beginning as I wasn't eating enouh fat with the protein. I have to admit that I cheated a few times...(it's hard when you're eating at grandma's-you can't reject everything). But LC-breastfeeding is going well and my baby is very happy and chubby. She is still on first foods (small jars) once a day, maybe twice and I don't give her cereal at all. She is doing much better (fatter and develops a few weeks everlier, she is crawling now) than my first daughter who had and still has some eczema. I think I gave her grains and reduced the number of breastfeedings too early (4 months -as per the pediatritian's instruction).
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 08:31

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

Hello!
I'm still breastfeeding my almost-7-month-old and am planning to continue for a long time. My milk supply is excellent! I had a drop in the beginning as I wasn't eating enouh fat with the protein. I have to admit that I cheated a few times...(it's hard when you're eating at grandma's-you can't reject everything). But LC-breastfeeding is going well and my baby is very happy and chubby. She is still on first foods (small jars) once a day, maybe twice and I don't give her cereal at all. She is doing much better (fatter and develops a few weeks everlier, she is crawling now) than my first daughter who had and still has some eczema. I think I gave her grains and reduced the number of breastfeedings too early (4 months -as per the pediatritian's instruction).
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 10:51

BF:
Default It's working, It's working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so excited!!! I have found what works for me! I am eating LC, Nursing and LOSING WEIGHT!!!!!!! I have lost quite a bit of water weight pounds (7) in the last few days. My milk supply is great, so I in turn have a happy baby boy!!!!!! Thanks for all the advice and encouragement!!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 13:13

Plan: SBD
Stats: 159/138.5/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 85%

camcyd, did you do induction?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 13:35

BF:

I'm not too concerned about ketones, I can't see why they would be bad. I'm just concerned about envionmental poultants in the milk from losing weight. Any thoughts on that?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 15:02

BF:
Default 82sara82

I am still doing induction.....less than 20 carbs. There are alot of women that drop alot of weight without dieting and it doesn't affect their breastfeeding. I just have to really focus on calorie intake or my milk supply decreases.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 16:21

BF:

Has anyone found any studies FOR LCing while breastfeeding or any that are against that I should read first?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-06, 06:45
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara
I'm just concerned about envionmental poultants in the milk from losing weight. Any thoughts on that?
Whether you lose weight by low carbing or low fatting or whatever "sensible" diet, this will be a consideration. However, I don't personally feel it's something significant to worry about. Your body will pull from your fat stores to make breastmilk, even if you're NOT dieting, so Baby is going to be exposed to "contaminants" regardless.

I avoid aspartame, alcohol, and wash my fruit and veg. I try to not walk near heavy traffic (exhaust), I don't play in chemicals.....what more can ya do?

As far as studies pro/against low carbing while breastfeeding, I haven't found any. Not that I've looked hard, mind you. In my mind, I don't see any problem with a diet of meat, fat, fruit, veg, dairy, for a breastfeeding, dieting mom. Loads better than a low protein, low fat WOE.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-06, 11:16

BF:

I'm starting over again today. I'm pretty much doing SBD, but using regular fat products. Or would it be Atkins with low fat red meat? Or would it just be concidered my own plan? I found my cals way too low on SBD, but I can't bring myself to eat regular ground beef.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 10:19

Plan: Body For Life
Stats: 320/295/180 Female 67 inches
BF:too much thanks!
Progress: 18%

Dr. Atkins himself said in an online chat transcription that women can follow his plan safely while breastfeeding, although they may find weight loss difficult due to the change in hormones. I've been back on LC since my baby was 2 months old and he is very happy and healthy. I even eat more veggies now than when I was pregnant and not LCing! LOL I have read anecdotally that you should not do Induction if nursing, probably because of the drop in milk supply, and of course shouldn't change your eating until milk supply is well-established. But I read elsewhere that the milk you are supplying for your baby is naturally full of ketones, presumably to stimulate muscle growth rather than fat? So I figure, what's good for my baby is good for me!

What's really scary is what happens to some nursing women who go the opposite direction - as in, low fat or especially vegan. BIG problems for some babies there.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-06, 20:07
Registered Member

Plan: personal low carb
Stats: 224/186/150 Female 65 inches
BF:28%/28%/23%
Progress: 51%

Sara, I can't stand "normal" ground beef either. It strikes me as a considerable waste of money, considering how much of it cooks away!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 20:23

BF:

I read that the body turns glucose into fuel for the brain. Is anyone concerned their baby isn't getting enough fuel for their brain?

I'm starting SBD tomorrow. Any lurkuers want to join or anyone want to restart?