Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 20:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 231.2/214/150 Female 71 in.
BF:yep, it's there!
Progress: 21%
Default First Time on Atkins-LOVE IT!

Well, This is my first time on Atkins. I have been overweight for almost 10 years now, a Mom for 4 years, and my weight has stayed just about the same no matter what I do. I hate to be hungry (shocker), I hate to exercise (getting over that , though) but nore than either of those I hate being fat! I have been on Atkins for one week today and I don't feel like I am dieting. I LOVE it. I do miss crunchy fruits and crackers to put my goat cheese on, but I just remind myself that I would rather be thin! I have lost a total of 10 lbs. in the first week of induction. I know a lot of it is water, but I am still very encouraged. I feel better already and I am NEVER hungry! I have 70 lbs. to lose and this time I actually think I can do it! Ketosis rocks! LOL! I am very excited about making new friends on this board!

Last edited by meimeicat1 : Tue, Jan-10-06 at 20:35. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 20:29

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 231/221/150 Female 64"
BF:39/37/18
Progress: 12%

Very Cool - Welcome and congratulations on that first 10 pound loss!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 22:38
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

Funny I felt great after I got over the headache the first few days. The first 2 weeks when I first started Atkins I felt certain I wouldn't lose a thing because I was eating so well and so many yummy things. I secretly thought I would have gained at the end of the 2 weeks when I weighed I wss sooo suprised to have lost 9 pounds . Good Luck
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 05:52

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 499.0/166.0/199.0 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on those first ten pounds. Keep up the great work.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 08:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/210/150 Female 5 ft 9
BF:41%/33%
Progress: 0%

Welcome! And congrats on your first 10 lbs. Yes, with all the yummy foods we can eat you feel almost guilty eating them. For me,that is from all the years of doing the low/fat, which didnt work.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 08:21

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Yes, you CAN do it. And with that kind of attitude, you'll love Atkins even more after you've explored the variety of foods and figured out simple recipes (or fancy ones, for that matter) that add lifelong appeal to your everyday eating.

Best wishes.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 13:03
Registered Member

Plan: protein powerhouse!
Stats: 326/310/170 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Wow, what an awesome first week loss. I love atkins too, i'm never, ever hungry... =) congrats!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 07:53
Registered Member

Wow! Thank you all for the great support! It has honestly been a breeze...even making carb-dishes for the family (the mac and cheese almost got me!). THis morning was the only time I had to walk out of the kitchen...I made waffles for my daughter (only frozen-like I own a waffle iron!)and the smell made me want to stuff a bite into my mouth. I got out quick and am fine now. I have a question, though; I have not given up my coffee on Induction like you are supposed to...I just stopped putting sugar in and count the half and half carbs. It doesn't seem to be affecting my loss, but is there another reason we aren't supposed to have caffeine? Again, thank to all of you and good luck and big loss!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 07:57

Stats: 182.5/175/120 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 12%

I have heard that you are not supposed to have caffine... but i have also seen many success stories stating that they have kept it part of their routine. Unless you are seeing a message through the scale that it is interfering.... you should be all good. congrats on your weight loss. NOTHING TASTE AS GOOD AS IT FEELS TO BE THIN!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 08:23

BF:

Sounds like you're on the way to that magical place where LC really does become a lifelong commitment.

About caffeine...yes, Dr. Atkins discusses the effect of caffeine on insulin production. You can check that out. I gave up caffeine (ouch) during my first induction, just because I wanted to do the plan as written. I think that choice was helpful in interrupting a LARGE coffee habit.

Now I drink about 20 oz. regular coffee in the morning, with half-n-half. I like flavored coffee, from freshly-ground beans. That's just one of the ways I make LC my personal way of eating, so as to keep it enjoyable and sustainable. As you go along, you'll make a few choices of your own. As long as you are losing at a satisfactory rate (even slowly) and learning more and more about LC and YOU, then many alternatives will be yours.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 08:33
Registered Member

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Thanks for the info.....I really would like to drop the caffeine, but I am afraid that it might feel like too much deprivation and I could fall off the wagon. So far my loss is going very well, mostly in the belly area, and I may try to get rid of the coffee after I get my bearings. Slurp. Ahhhh. But not today! Also, I have not begun exercising yet...what are all of you doing? I would be interested to know what works for you! [/FONT]
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 08:34
Registered Member

BKLOOTS: How long have you been on Atkins? You have done so well! And are you a failed diet veteran?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 08:45

BF:

Am I EVER a diet veteran! Tried 'em all over a span of four decades. And by the way, they all work. Stillman, Weight Watchers, low-fat/low-cal, Slimfast, you name it. The trouble is, the minute you stop doing them, the weight comes back.

Of course, the same thing can happen with LC. Only the huge difference is this: LC (for me, Atkins) has given me the key to a sustainable way of eating--a way of eating that feels good, fits into my real life, and supports excellent health benefits. (Preach it, girl!)

The year I turned 50, I lost 50 lbs. on a low-fat/low-cal diet, and maintained that for about five years. Then the Weight Creep caught up with me. Low-fat/low-cal is very hard to sustain, as many people know.

I started Atkins in January 2003. Lost 30 or so. Hit a long plateau in the middle of 2004, about 10 lbs. from goal. Gave up for a while--gained back 15 or so. Restarted January 2005 and reached goal in April. I've been maintaining since then. I don't take maintenance for granted. But unlike the previous diets, I feel strongly that low-carb is a focus that works for me.

Maintaining my connection with support groups like this one is part of the process. I will always have a "fat person" screaming to get out of my currently right-size body. LC keeps both of us reconciled in a good way.

Barbara
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 08:52

BF:

A footnote on exercise:

Regular daily exercise has been a part of my life forever. So at least I didn't have to work on two major changes at once.

I was a runner for many years, and during the summer months, I still try to stay in good enough shape to do 5K races--not fast, but fun. My everyday routine involves home-video exercise--weight training, step and floor aerobics, mini-tramp, yoga. I roll out of bed six days a week and into my exercise duds. I also ice skate during the winter (took lessons--there's an outdoor rink near my office so I can skate at lunchtime).

Healthy eating alone is not enough. Movement is essential. Again, you have to find a way of getting activity into your day that YOU LIKE. Nobody can sustain a grudging or drudging ordeal.

For home fitness info, check out www.videofitness.com
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 09:09

Stats: 235/214/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:40
Progress: 28%

Wow the beach behind you looks so inviting. Do you get to go for walks on it regularly? You will find the best part of the LC life style is that it is just that, a life style. You will be able to have your fruit again, just be patient and follow the steps. As you feel better, the exercise will become second nature, you won't be able to sit still so go for a walk with your daughter. Yes, even walking regularly helps if you don't feel like going to the gym, or how about karate with your daughter or dancing or... I know exercise is my big downfall too, I like relaxing in front of the idiot box at night...

For now try celery sticks as a replacement for your crackers. Check out the recipe section, there are some great ideas.