Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 09:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%
Default Size ZERO

So last night I decided to run my regular test at old navy-try on jeans a size smaller (my real gauge of loss) and I ran into something mortifying: the dreaded SIZE ZERO. It looked awful small....so I decided to run another test: size it against my 8 yr old stepdaughter. And you know what? IT FIT HER. In another year or two it wont. And shes a little underweight for her age. She was like, "its a little long on me" I said, "thats because its intended for someone a foot or so taller than you, honey".

I had never laid eyes on a size zero before, much less had the opportunity to check it out. What is this, ANA club members only? My husband noticed they also went up to size 30, and frankly, the only ones shopping there were women like me or bigger, looking for inexpensive comfortable jeans. I dont care who yah are....healthy adult women will not have the same hip circumference as an 8 yr old girl.

And anyone over the age of 8 will feel awful if theyre bigger than that unattainable size zero. At least bella is learning the tricks of the fashion and beauty trade early...I hope she grows up really seeing through the smoke and mirrors and knows whats healthy and normal-and what isnt.

Just thought Id share this little mortifying discovery...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 10:15

Plan: Atkins~~OWL
Stats: 294/237/150 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 40%

WOW interesting post!! I agree with you no matter how small built an adult woman would be its not likely she would be in a zero. I mean once you hit puberty your hips get wider (some of us more than others lol). I bet they were TEENY TINY

KimNWI
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 10:20

Plan: Whole Foods (my own)
Stats: 135/127/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

I think there is something so creepy about fitting into a size 0. Like you don't even exist

And personally, I prefer some curves
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 11:04
Registered Member

Plan: no specific
Stats: 202/186/126 Female 5ft 8
BF:
Progress: 21%

what size is size zero? like - do you know in european size? or uk size? or even how many inch waist it is or whatever.

like, levis are pretty worldwide lol - what waist size would it be against those?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 11:42

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 199.5/153.1/150 Female 5'11"
BF:36.3%/28.5%/27%
Progress: 94%

I've even seen 1/2 size. HALF SIZE!!!!! Somehow that seemed much more horrifying than a size 0.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 12:22
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

There are some very small people out there... 5' (or less) and naturally petite that need those size 0's.

I'm not saying that it is healty but they are not always made for those with eating disorders. I do agree that it can make a teen or a child uncomfortable. I was 5'10" by the time I hit high school in ninth grade and was mortified because I weighed more than any other girl (probably 165) and had to wear a size 10! I felt like a fat cow... Now I know better!

What irritates me more is the bridal industry that sizes up... example, when I was wearing a size 14/16 I had to purchase a size 18/20 in a bridesmaid dress which was considered a "plus" size so I had to pay an extra $50 for the darn dress. And of course it wasn't even worth $50 to start with!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 12:30

Plan: LF/LC
Stats: 254/191.5/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

What about 00? Double 0s...

They are so small and the equivalent to a Jrs. size 10!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 12:35
weighing in....

I haven't fit Jr sizes since I found my hips... I like my curves (and so does my bf)!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 14:28
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I had a coworker that was a size 0. Adult woman, probably no more than 5' tall. She often has to look for clothing in the teen department. Shoes are a nightmare. She did not appear to me to be unnaturally thin, just a small woman.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 15:15
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Sizes are also different than they used to be. Just out of curiosity, I dug out a pair of size 20's from 14 years ago when Steven was born. They fit EXACTLY the same as the 16's I have on. Same brand, same style.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 15:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

This is why I get so happy when I can fit into 14's from years and years ago buried in my closet. *dance*
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 15:35

Hmm. Interesting responses. I remember hearing some controvery about the whole size zero thing-it being started in brazil where uber thin is in...something like that.

Last time I measured bella for costumes she had a 24" waist, hips the same. I imagine she hasnt grown THAT much.

I dont doubt that there are a handful of people out there that need such sizes....BUT they are few and far between.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 15:35

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I couldn't be a size 0 if I weighed 100 pounds - I'm 5'7 1/2" in my bare feet and big boned, but that's fine with me. I see so many of these Hollywood stars who are so thin they look scary. Which is why I applaud the Dove ads going on using normal and full sized women.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 15:48

Yah, arent those fun!!??!?! And theyre only like, size 7-10s. Still smaller than the average woman, but somehow they are considered "full"?? By whose calcs?

Try normal. I like them.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 16:09
weighing in....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scthgharpy
Yah, arent those fun!!??!?! And theyre only like, size 7-10s. Still smaller than the average woman, but somehow they are considered "full"?? By whose calcs?

Try normal. I like them.
I agree 100%.... And isn't it sad that the Dove commercial is making such media news because they are using "regular" people? What about the size 12's and 14's? Arent' they the average size in the US?