Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 07:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/162/149 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Read The Book! A Rant!

I just need to vent. I am so tired of reading posts where people are complaing "I only lost 7 lbs on induction, why is this not working",...... "I am on day 5 and have stalled",....."I had really hoped to lose 15 pounds on induction (when they only have 25 to lose)". Just frustrating to see how many people want to use WOE this as another quick magical fix, because they have unrealistic expectations and have done zero research and apparently have read little/nothing about their lowcarb plan. Gee, I actually feel better now that I have gotten that off my chest!

Last edited by lianna : Sat, Mar-05-05 at 07:15. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 07:25

Stats: 156/135/125 Female 5 ft 5
BF:way too much
Progress: 68%
Default so true

Lianna...GREAT vent !

Everyone is looking for a quick fix out there. It took time to put this weight on...it will take time to get it off.

I am a HUGE reader..and I read numerous ' diet' books before I came to the conclusion that Atkins was for me. I cannot understand either, why someone would not READ THE BOOK first !
If you want to lose weight SOOOO badly, does it not make sense to stick to the plan ? To really know the plan...you have to read the book !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Liana, for starting this thread...I feel the same way you do. Most of the posts lately seem to be a lot of questions that can be answered just by reading the book. What happened to reading ???? Is it a dying art ????

Okay.....I feel better
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 07:43

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 22%

So true!! Thats the thing that has been bothering me. People decide to go on Atkin's without researching and reading the book. Then you'll see the flock of posts..." I ate this, I ate that, I had sugar, blah blah blah, oh no!!" Drives me insane, lol. Nothing bad against anyone of course, but how can a person expect to follow the rules of induction (for those on Atkin's), if they have not even one clue about what to eat and why to eat it? I've posted links to the atkins site, for those who have begged for help, but I can't seem to make people understand you can't eat "just one" potato chip, or low-fat yogurt!! I agree totally with you Lianna, you can get most of the books out there very inexpensively, so everyone buy one and read it!! Please!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 07:44

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I have to agree with you. Even a simple search on the site will get you the answers you need. I am not a patient person either but I know that it takes time & commitment to this lifestyle in order for it to work - I started LC 6/30/2003 - it has been a long hard struggle and I'm still not at goal. I know it can be frustrating at times, but I also know I didn't get this way overnight. My other gripe not using the edit button and adding a p.s. USE THE EDIT BUTTON!! Please?

Another gripe..... CONSTIPATION!! Use the search button!!

(I just used the good 'ol edit button to add that last gripe) Ok.... I'm done.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 07:50

Default Okay now I am still on this

Okay, now I have really started to think about this

If it is a money issue, and people cannot afford the book....Quick fix, join a library ! Take the book home, and write down all needed information to refer to later.

I am hoping that it is a financial issue, and not a literacy issue ...

I will stop now...
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 08:00

Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

i love this website because you can use it to fine tune your approach to atkins. but i, too, am really tired of seeing a thread that starts with the topic--i need help. i always click on those because 1. sometimes the answers i find there give me some insight, and 2. i like to help people with my experiences. however, any more, i rarely look at them because they are asking the silliest questions. i used to respond by telling them to take a few days to really read the book. to me, if you read the book carefully before beginning a plan, you buy into the whole system emotionally. once you can become emotionally sure of the plan and believe that it will work for you, you are more committed to the whole thing. i am losing my patience with people who try it on their own, don't do a CLEAN induction, and then wonder why their cravings are so bad, or why they haven't lost 25 pounds in two weeks, or "i just couldn't help myself because (it was a birthday cake, it was a special dinner, and on and on and on--take your pick!) no diet has really ever worked for me, but i took TWO weeks to read the book, study the plan, then cleaned out my cabinets, went to the store and got after it. belief=commitment=success!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 09:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I agree with all of you. Even though I am a newbie I read the book and knew what things you can't eat on induction. I think people just don't read. It's there in plain English. My mom is on the induction phase and was asking me what things she could eat. "I can have a glass of wine, can't I?" I told her to get the book and READ it.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 09:30
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/297.6/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 37%

I have to join this rant. I can't help myself, lol!!!

I can't tell you how many books I have. Tons. And tons of lc diet books. Cleanse liver, kidneys, skin. Got'em.

I don't mind helping people out. I love helping people and telling them what to do. But come one!! At least read the basic diet. The basic instructions. The basic food list.

And know what plan you're on for goodness sakes!!! Now I can switch from Atkins, CAD, Fat Flush, Protein Power. I know them all. I know the rules for each one, what you can combine and what you can't. Higher protein, lower fat, carbs or not. You can't have them all together, people!!!

The people on CAD who are eating 5 times, nuts and AS and pigging out at RM and wondering why they don't lose!!!

The people on induction eating AS and bars and shakes and wondering why they don't lose!!!

People eating tons of protein with tons of fat and wondering why they don't lose!!!

Read the book!!! And follow it!!! At least for a while!! At least for two weeks!!

And use the search!!! How many threads do we have on constipation!!!

You know....I do feel better, lol!!!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 09:36
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Yes!! Thank you so much for starting this thread!!

I too, am so fed up with people's laziness in reading the book that tells them about their plan but also people who are trying to lose 25 lbs in 2 weeks!! GIVE ME A BREAK!!

"I want a muffin" "Why can't I use low carb products?" Waaaawaaawaaa...whine, cry, bitch and moan.....I truly want to help and support peeple but my patience is running thin.

"God helps those who help themselves" love this one!!

this one is from my mom "There are more horses asses than there are horses"Yep!!...that one fits too!!

ahhhh...I feel better now too....Thanks!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 09:38

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Sure it would be nice if everyone had read the book for what ever plan they are starting, but realistically, people don't do things like that. Computer support staff reply mostly to people who haven't read any documentation.

Low-carbing sounds very easy, you just eat everything labeled low-carb. right? One good thing about this forum is that those who think that way can get the advice they need to do the eating plan correctly.

One problem with the books may be that they have too much information. I think that most people who want to lose weight do not care to read chapter after chapter on why the diet will work and the science behind it. They just want a quick five minute read of eat this and don't eat that. A kind of 'Atkins for Dummies' format.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 10:03

Judynyc....HALLELLULAH !!! Very well said...
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 10:10

Stats: 225/162/149 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 83%

Wow, glad it isn't just me! I do understand that some people just want to be sure that they are doing it right and dont want to make an inadvertent mistake. Those questions dont bother me. It is the ones like "can I eat ________?" ,for example, that reveal that the person has no clue what they are doing and are trying to formulate their plan entirely from posts made on a support forum. And nowdays EVERY plan has some sort of summary, food list, and rules available right here on the computer. You dont necessarily even need the book to find the answer to some of the most basic questions that are asked over and over.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 19:14

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Sure it would be nice if everyone had read the book for what ever plan they are starting, but realistically, people don't do things like that. Computer support staff reply mostly to people who haven't read any documentation.

Low-carbing sounds very easy, you just eat everything labeled low-carb. right? One good thing about this forum is that those who think that way can get the advice they need to do the eating plan correctly.

One problem with the books may be that they have too much information. I think that most people who want to lose weight do not care to read chapter after chapter on why the diet will work and the science behind it. They just want a quick five minute read of eat this and don't eat that. A kind of 'Atkins for Dummies' format.

Whilst I totally agree with the thrust of this thread, I couldn't help but be distracted by your second sentence Mike - most people don't read computer hardware/software documentation (even I use it as a last resort!) because it is so badly written and doesn't answer your question anyway!

And lets face it, with one or maybe two notable exceptions, most low carb books are pretty badly written - employing an editor would be a reasonable suggestion for most!

But there are simple versions out there for people who for whatever reason, don't want to know "why" (The Eades produced a first 30 days book for instance) - but for me at least, the "why this WOL works so well", the reasons it is so great for our health (weight loss is just a happy side effect) - are things that are vital for my understanding of low carbing for life - and without which I would have been much more reluctant to start (25+ years of low fat indoctrination is hard to shift for most of us).

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 19:17

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsblues
Whilst I totally agree with the thrust of this thread, I couldn't help but be distracted by your second sentence Mike - most people don't read computer hardware/software documentation (even I use it as a last resort!) because it is so badly written and doesn't answer your question anyway!

Excellent point!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 19:49
Beach Bum

Plan: da Beach looking for Sun
Stats: 250/229.5/163 Female 5ft 5in
BF:not/ahot/clue
Progress: 24%

I spent months researching low carbing before I decided this was something I wanted to do. I have almost all of the books I have read and I never paid full price (or anything like it) for any of them. I picked up the first book DANDR for 25c and that's what started a 4 month research project and cupboard cleanse before I started.

I think the biggest problem is that we live in a world that looks for instant gratification and no-one wants to wait for anything. So why would weight loss be any different. It took 32 years for me to get this way (for my first 5, I was normal) and while I don't plan on taking 32 to get small (read normal) I know it will take a lot less time and I am happy to let it take it's time. No matter what I am better now than I ever was.

Now if I could invent that magical scheme or potion....