Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 18:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%
Default thinking of switching

Hi everyone,
I am thinking of switching from Atkins and would appreciate some advice. I was going to buy the SB book but it looked like half of it was recipes. The Miz Frog site seem to give a pretty good rundown of the diet.Greta site!
I have just recently started exerciseing quite a lot weights/cardio and my fitness instructor keeps telling me to up my carbs plus I really miss my fruits.
I also have a hard time eating so much fat with Atkins....so.....here I am.....
A few questions?

Do I have it right that SB does not count carbs but it is much more of a low fat approach in that you watch your saturated fats?
You control your portions and calories and see how it goes?
Would I need to go thru Phase 1 if I am in OWL in Atkins?
Have others found they can lose control and gain weight when they switch or have most lost weight when they switched?

From what I have read Phase 1 is very similar to OWL in Atkins except for the differences in fat?

Should I buy the book?

I appreciate any and all help!!

Thanks......
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 20:48

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 357/291/175 Female 68 in
BF:52.54%/46.5%/25%
Progress: 36%

Maggie,
From what I have read, Phase one is a lot like induction on Atkins. You cut out fruit, sugar, flour, etc. But you try to keep the saturated fats down (Fry your egg in spray instead of butter, etc.)

Then after the two-four week phase 1, go on to phase 2, add back one piece of fruit (but not in the morning) brown rice, OR a small sweet potato, OR a serving of WHOLE grain bread, each day.

Am I reading the first two phases correctly for anyone who is more knowledgable than me......I am considering starting this diet this weekend.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 21:53
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach (P2)
Stats: 250/215/150 Female 71
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen-mom
Then after the two-four week phase 1, go on to phase 2, add back one piece of fruit (but not in the morning) brown rice, OR a small sweet potato, OR a serving of WHOLE grain bread, each day.

The only thing I would change about that is to not add a new carb every day. What is suggested in the book is to add things back gradually. For example, in your first week on P2, have maybe a piece of fruit every other day and see how your body reacts. If you are still losing, try a serving of couscous or some other whole grain for a week and see how your body reacts. Etc, etc. Everybody's body is going to react differently. By doing this, you'll get a good idea of what foods stall you out. For example, there aren't many fruits that I can eat without stalling, but I can have two servings of couscous a day and still lose. HTH.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 22:43

Thanks for info....one question....why not fruit in morning?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 23:28
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieb
Hi everyone,
I am thinking of switching from Atkins and would appreciate some advice. I was going to buy the SB book but it looked like half of it was recipes. The Miz Frog site seem to give a pretty good rundown of the diet.Greta site!
Should I buy the book?

I appreciate any and all help!!

Thanks......

Hi,

I just started the SB diet last week, so I am a newbie at it, but one thing I have done quite well is doing alot of reading and research on most of the diets. The South Beach Book is fine to read if you can borrow it from a friend or from the library, but I would not buy it. There have been alot of changes (which happens in a lot of diets as they learn more) the website you mentioned, as I am posting here:
http://www.mizfrogspad.com/south_beach_diet.htm

has the updated info, plus alot of good reading if you have the time to browse the complete site. You will get most of the info you need without having to buy the book or paying to join the SB website.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 09:41
Krazy Karb Kel

Plan: south beach/atkins
Stats: 174/154/135 ? Female 5 feet or so
BF:not sure....
Progress: 20%
Default Fruit in the a.m.

Fruit has a high glycemic index. You wouldn't want to start the day with a rising and then plummeting blood sugar, It defeats the purpose of LC.

At least that is the way I understand it. Better to have your berries at night.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 12:02

Thanks for all replies....I understand re no fruit in morning now...I think it would if you had it with some protein , not on it's own....I guess I will give SB a try. From what I have read I am pretty well doing it now anyway as I don't eat any fatty meat now, have to add fat to my diet, don't eat any cheese and I crave fruit.....
Have requested book from library.
Thanks again everyone! Wish me luck!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 15:34

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Best of luck maggie! Keep the boards posted on your progress.

Jenn
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 22:29

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

Hi Maggie,

there are other threads on the subject. I wouldn't buy the book unless you also want to read about physiology - I think he does a nice job explaining why glycemic index is important. But it is outdated, and there are bad contradictions between the front book and the recipes.

I would recommend you go on the South Beach diet site, put in your weight etc. and email, submit, but don't go on to pay $5. They tell you what you know - you are overweight - but you will be on their email list and get daily mail - I have a junk mail account where it goes, but some of these daily tips are really useful, and update you on the changes.

I agree with some of the others in being very careful in adding phase 2 carbs. I can't have too many though right now I am experimenting with brown rice and fruit and good bread. But initially, I went too fast and stalled or gained.

The other issue - probably similar to Atkins - is that you really need to take the snacks and the water seriously. Whenever I am hungry because I don't have an allowed snack with me at work I regret it when looking at the scale. It is funny but you really have to make sure you eat enough to loose!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 14:50

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 181/171/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I switched from Atkins to SB a few weeks ago and its been working great for me. I'd suggest doing phase 1 instead of just jumping up to phase 2. For me the snacks and desserts and the V8 juice especially added up to more carbs than I was used to and it took me a few days to adjust. SB isnt really low fat, its more low saturated fat. The book suggests low fat diary products to cut down on the saturated fat but plainly states to stay away from other foods made for the low fat crowd since they tend to add in carbs. I'm lower sat fat than I was in atkins, but I cant buy lowfat dairy that I can eat so I go full fat there if I eat any.

I'm on phase 2 now and upping my carbs with occasional oatmeal (steel cut) and havent had any issues with it. I probably should have gone with berries or something but I've been craving oatmeal for months and the last time I gave in on Atkins I gained a few pounds from 1 bowl. I'll probably try cherries or strawberries next.

I was on Atkins from late Aug 2003 until early March 2004, so around 6 months, and lost exactly 10lbs in that whole time, while sticking on the plan pretty strictly (ok.. I cheated a few times there at the end). Since I started SB I've lost 2 lbs and my clothes are to the point where I should really buy new ones cause they're so baggy. This leads me to believe that I gained muscle and lost fat while my weight stayed mostly the same. This is a really fast change for me since I was used to plodding along in atkins without seeing much of a difference in the fit of my clothes or my weight.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 16:26

Thanks for the luck Elsah! I will need it!

Monika, I did sign up at the South Beach site(didn't pay) thanks for the tip. I had an oreange today and it was sooo good
I do have trouble eating enough so I will watch that!

Meadow, Glad to see this new WOE is working for you. Muscle is so much nicer than fat!! Hope it does the same for me......
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 15:19

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

Hi Maggie, fellow fruit addict! Good luck!

You don't have to eat a lot, just often! I sometimes simply grab an apple or an orange for snack. I am having fruit quite often now - 3-4 x a week, and some brown rice and whole grain bread, and it still seems to work.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 16:08

Hi Monika,

Thansk for scoop on just eating often. I do tend to graze more than big meals but yesterday I put what I ate into Fitday and I only ate 800 calories. I am on medication that tends to really reduce my appetite!!
I just bought some organic grain bread....it has 25 carbs per slice...YIKES!!!! but it sounds good.....what do you think....I have sliced it super thin so I think my slices will be more like 18 carbs.....is this what is considered good on SB?I couldn't find onfo on this and I don't have the book yet.....

Organic Grainery Bread:

Ingredients: Stone-ground whole wheat flour*, water, sour starter* (stone-ground whole wheat flour*, water), honey*, kamut*, amaranth*, soft wheat kernel*, flax seeds*, millet*, sunflower seeds*, salt, yeast*.

*Certified organic by OCPP Ontario Inc.

Nutritional Values: Serving: 50g (approx. 1 slice), Calories: 140, Fat: 2.5g, Saturated: 0g, + Trans: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 160mg, Protein: 5g, Carbohydrates: 25g, Fibre: 4g, Sugars: 3g, Vitamin A: 0%, Vitamin C: 0%, Calcium: 2%, Iron: 10%

I had a green apple today and thought I was in heaven...YUM......
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 17:41

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Maggie since you are using fitday can you please tell me what the %"s are like on the fat/protein/carbs/ calories. I can't seem to get anyone to answer me. I am asking because I am vegetarian and trying to stick with atkins through my pregnancy. I have having a horrible time keeping my calories up high enough without using heavy cream, nuts, and fat that I am really not feeling like eating. I would rather get up calories with real foods instead of oils. I just am not sure how to do it. I am trying to figure out where your fat lvls stay for someone doing SBD because mine are still around 50% everyday. I want to know where your calories come from since you aren't using fat also because that is really what I am needing to work on. Sorry to single you out, but I posted and bumped my post and still haven't found anyone to answer.

Thanks so much!
Jenn
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 19:20

Hi Jenn, I don't mind being singled out but I am not sure if I can really help you since I just switched to Sb and not really sure what I am doing yet!

Yesterday, I reviewed what I ate and came up to 1162 calories. My breakdown was as follows:

Fat 39 %
Protein 35%
Carbs 24%

I ate Source Yogurt
Protein Powder and 1/2 cup frozen raspberries with 1/2 cup skim milk
Small Chicken Breast cooked in Olive oil with red and green peppers, celery and broccoli.
Large orange
Large Salad (romaine lettuce. radishes,celery, cucumber) with Ranch Dressing
Almonds

Hope this helps you somewhat...you are more than welcome to PM me if you like...it must be really tough to do Atkins as a Vegetarian. I would think SB would be a lot easier.