Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 20:28
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%
Default Low carb bread at Safeway

I was at the Safeway at Hastings and Willingdon in Burnaby today and bought a very yummy loaf of low carb bread. It's a small loaf and thin slices, but it's still nice to hace a slice of bread that's only 5 net grams of carbs.

I talked to a staff person who said it's the second time they brought it in. The first time they only sold two loafs. So I hope they sell more this time.

Arnie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 12:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie_g
I was at the Safeway at Hastings and Willingdon in Burnaby today and bought a very yummy loaf of low carb bread. It's a small loaf and thin slices, but it's still nice to hace a slice of bread that's only 5 net grams of carbs.

I talked to a staff person who said it's the second time they brought it in. The first time they only sold two loafs. So I hope they sell more this time.

Arnie

Greetings, Arnie. Would you remember the brand name and cost? Is it local or a 'name' brand?

Thanks!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 20:42
Contributing Member

Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Greetings, Arnie. Would you remember the brand name and cost? Is it local or a 'name' brand?

Thanks!

Hi Judi,

It looks like a brand name, it's called "Carb Conscious" by Healthy Way. Then down at the bottom of the bag it says "Trademark of Canada Bread Company."

I forget what they charged for it.

Arnie
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 12:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Thanks, Arnie. Sounds like the same bread being carried at Save-On recently

I read it was made by Olafsen's (Healthy Way Carb Conscious bread, 454g loaf, 5g slice) but couldn't find the manufacturer name in my hurry. Canada Bread Company, eh?

Hmmmmmm.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 14:04

Stats: 190/165/160 Male 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 83%

Canada Bread owns Olafson's...
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 18:26

Plan: Atkins and Zone
Stats: 190/185/180 Male 6' 2
BF:
Progress:

I bought the same bread at the Safeway on Broadway at Macdonald in Vancouver - I think it was $3.99, 450 g loaf Carb Conscious. Canada Bread is on the label. It is sprouted grain and very tasty, much better than the other types I've tried made locally.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 08:40

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/233/???
BF:
Progress:

Hubby found this bread here in Winnipeg at the Lakewood & Vermillion Safeway. $3.89 per loaf. Very tastey stuff and it makes great toast!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 07:43

BF:
Progress:

Update:

Hubby went back to the Lakewood and Vermillion Safeway to see if he could get some more Carb Conscious bread. Nothing on the shelf, no tag, nuttin'.

Opened the Sobey's flyer yesterday and lo and behold they have the bread on this week for 2.99. Safeway was selling it for 3.89. What a markup!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 08:37

Stats: 260/223/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress:

Which Sobey's in Winnipeg carries this bread? I haven't seen it anywhere?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 15:29
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/169/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 43%
Talking Yum !!

Just bought a loaf of this bread at the Southpoint Save-on foods in South Surrey. I toasted it and made a bacon , cheese, & cucumber sandwich ... and Holy Cow. This bread is awesome. I had been buying some low-carb white crap in WA State lately, and it really sucks compared to this stuff. Perhaps the white stuff appeals more to those who ate white bread prior to this WOE. I always ate the Grainy, seedy, nutty ( <- like me) Bread.

Just wanted add my 2 cents worth.

PS ... they had a huge display of this stuff ...
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 00:02

Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I managed to buy the last loaf on sale at Save-On food at Lougheed & Madison. It was on sale this week for around $3.00

Hopefully it will be something that will be easy enough to pickup when you want it. All of this low-carb hype lately is making this whole thing pretty mainstream.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 10:36

BF:
Progress:

Hi Oldy...

Sobey's had the bread in their advertisement last week. Every store we visited (and we tried two Sobey's and a Safeway the same night) said they were out of stock, the stuff was flyin' off the shelves.

We went to the Sobey's on St. Anne's and Bishop Grandin, and of course they were out, said that the bread order came in every day or every second day. Ray was able to get them to hold 4 loaves for us, which we picked up on Tuesday. Turns out they only ordered in 5. If we took 4 and they only ordered 5, no wonder there isn't a slice in sight.
Maybe you can get the bakery at a Sobey's in your area to order some in.

If it was only a test run, hopefully it was a success and they will order more, and more often. This bread is very very nice, only 5 carbs per slice. It has sunflower and flax seeds in it. It's very much like a really whole grain wheat bread. Makes great toast! The best thing is that because it is professionally made, the slices are all even, not like at home where you slice the homemade stuff into thicker slices than others.

If you are absolutely are dying for a piece of bread, the best recipes we have tried are for Gabi's bread and Myra's bread. We add sunflower, flax, and sesame seeds to the Gabi's bread. Myra's bread is a type of white bread that is very nice too. You need a bread machine to make either one of these. Or very strong arms!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 09:20

Stats: 197/164/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%

I found the bread at Safeway on Marion. There were 2 loaves left and it was on sale but not as cheap as Sobeys. I figure its worth the price since I can freeze it and it will last a long time.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 12:41

BF:
Progress:

Ray went to the Safeway at Osborne and Kylemore. He said there were about 20 loaves on the shelf.

They do freeze beautifully. Makes the greatest toasted cheese sandwich. Toast the bread, butter it if you want, put your cheese slice(s) on it and nuke for about 10-15 seconds on hi, just until the cheese melts. Yummy!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 15:29
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 199/166/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 67%

As someone just new to this, I just want to thank all of you for so much great information. You all have a wealth of suggestions and ideas. I really feel like this time I am going to lose the weight and keep it off. Thanks again! :-)