Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 13:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/153/130 Female 5'7"
BF:Under Construction
Progress: 18%
Default "Carb Cutters" work for me.

I don't know if any of you use or agree with these, but I do take them when I know I am going to go overboard some (popcorn at movies, out to dinner, etc) and they really really really work for me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 14:18
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Any weird side effects? I've heard about these but have been hesitant to try them for fear I'll go WAY overboard and the carbs will knock me out of ketosis.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 14:26

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

hmmm I heard they cause anal leakage... I tried some sort of fat busters a few years ago and yup the gave me anal leakage not fun...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 14:33
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

2Airdales,
Enough said! Those two words put together are horrifying!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 14:38

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

You're telling me!!!

But Katgurl if they work for you that's fine don't let me get you down.

I'm too scared to try them after the fat busters!

My MIL spend over $300 on some carb blockers she bought from a TV ad. They are sitting in a drawer. probably because you can't drink with them (she's an alcoholic) It's sad.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 14:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 231/191/150 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Starch Blockers

Jeez....I tried these years ago when they were called Starch Blockers. No one would come near me because of the ummmm...."gas problems". I didnt even want to be in the same room as myself, lol. I dont know if the newer version have this problem. Do you have any side effects Katgurl?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 17:54
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I've tried more than one kind... just tie a string to my ankles and walk me past Macy's in November......
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 05:48

Oh these cause nothing like that..no anal leakage!
I tried fat blockers a yer or so back and yes, that was a disgusting affair.

These jsut make me feel more energetic and make me thirsty.

The only side effect is that I sometimes am too excitable. Hahahha!
::shrug::
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 05:49

Also, I don't use them as an excuse to go way overboard. I just make sure I take them before I go out to dinner or to the movies, just in case I have a few bites of something I shouldn't
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 08:19

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Tried several brands of the "carb" "starch" "sugar" blockers...none of them worked for me or for my 2 good friends. Oh well...I guess for some it does work...for most it does not.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 08:26

Plan: Atkins (modified - no red meat)
Stats: 324/244/150 Female 5'6
BF:46.6%?/42/20%
Progress: 46%

If you feel they work for you, Great!

However, there is no "carb blocking" supplement on the market that has been actually shown to work in clinical trials. I'm a pharmacy student and work in a pharmacy, and I've searched for any evidence that these might work. Have had long talks with my pharmacist, etc. You are most likely experiencing a placebo affect, of sorts. You would be much better to spend your money on some good vitamins or mineral supplements than on a carb blocker.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 10:05

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Taken from the media section of this board (also, I think MSN had a news article a few months ago where they indicated that on their own they may not do much, but along with a low carb diet, etc., they could be of benefit on those days where maybe one has a few too many)

Tuesday April 3, 9:45 am Eastern Time

Press Release

Health and Nutrition Systems International, Inc. Carb Cutter Clinically Tested for Weight Loss
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla.--(BW HealthWire)--April 3, 2001--Health and Nutrition Systems International, Inc. (HNS), (OTCBB:HNNS - news) a supplier of weight management products, today announced clinical results for the low carbohydrate dietary supplement Carb Cutter(TM).

The testing took place over a six-week period and included a random double blind placebo. The controlled clinical trial indicated that both Carb Cutter(TM) and a Carb Cutter(TM)/ThinTab® combination serving increased weight loss when combined with a low carbohydrate diet and exercise. (a)

In making the announcement, HNS President Chris Tisi commented, ``The results of our clinical trial should provide both retail and consumer confidence in Carb Cutter(TM) and ThinTab®.'' Tisi also added, ``I believe these new studies should have a significant impact on consumer demand for our products.''

For those individuals taking only Carb Cutter(TM), along with a low carbohydrate diet and exercise, the average weight loss was 7.8 lbs. over six weeks. For those individuals taking the Carb Cutter(TM)/ThinTab® combo along with the same low carbohydrate and exercise program, the average weight loss was 10.2 lbs. in six weeks. In both groups, some individuals lost as much as 22 lbs. In comparison, the placebo group lost an average of 5.2 lbs. over the six-week test.

Over 28 individuals completed the trial in each of the three groups (Carb Cutter(TM), Carb Cutter(TM)/ThinTab® combo, and placebo). The drop out rate was below 50%, which for diet studies is considered excellent. This trial showed results at the upper level of physician recommended weight loss, which is the American Medical Association's set standard for maximum safe weight loss.

Subjects were interviewed and screened at the Marshall-Blum clinic in Bangor, Maine (www.marshallblum.com). James M. Blum, Ph.D. and Dr. Peter Marshall, M.D. conducted the trial. Physician support was provided by Dr. Marshall who is board certified. The clinical study was conducted by an independent scientific organization and was monitored by an IRB (institutional review board) of medical peers. Additional testing information and testimonial reports are available upon request.

About Health & Nutrition Systems, Inc.

HNS develops and markets weight management products in over 20,000 Health Food and Drug Store locations. The company's products can be found in Albertson's, Brooks (Maxi Drug), CVS, GNC, Duane Reade, Eckerd's, Giant Eagle, Giant Landover, H.E. Butt Grocery Co., Longs, Pharmor, Rite Aid, Target, Vitamin Shoppe, Vitamin World, Walgreens and Wakefern stores, as well as 4,000 independent health food stores, gyms and pharmacies. Additional information can be found on the company's website at www.hnsglobal.com.

(a) These statements have not been reviewed by the Food and Drug

Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose,

treat, cure or prevent any disease or disease condition.

All statements in this press release, other than historical facts, are forward-looking statements. These statements are based on certain assumptions and analyses made by HNS in light of its experience and its perception of historical trends, current conditions, expected future developments and other factors it believes are appropriate under the circumstances. Such statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, including the following: general and economic business conditions; increased competition from other weight management product suppliers; market acceptance of both company developed and third party products sold by HNS; loss of chain store accounts; product and technology changes and availability of products from third-party suppliers.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/010403/2307.html
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 13:19

Somehow, these keep me in ketosis when I take them with meals that are a little too carby and would normally knock me OUT of ketosis. Before I started using them, I lost about 1 lb a week, and with them, I lose about 1.7 lbs a week.

#14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 13:22

Stats: 220/193/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Well, as one who works in the scientific community (I'm a data manager for clinical trials), there are quite a few flaws in the above trial not the least of which is that there are 'Over 28 individuals completed the trial in each of the three groups' - how they think they have enough data to power their conclusions is beyond me. It's a good thing that the FDA didn't review that press release...
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 13:25
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissasvh
If you feel they work for you, Great!

However, there is no "carb blocking" supplement on the market that has been actually shown to work in clinical trials. I'm a pharmacy student and work in a pharmacy, and I've searched for any evidence that these might work. Have had long talks with my pharmacist, etc. You are most likely experiencing a placebo affect, of sorts. You would be much better to spend your money on some good vitamins or mineral supplements than on a carb blocker.

Yes. I don't see how it is possible to block a food from being absorbed...