Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 14:05
Never Give Up!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/139/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default Amount of Magnesium for Constipation

I have read that a lot of you guys take magnesium for constipation - but at what doses? I bought some magnesium supplements and have been taking 2 - 250mg pills every night. Last night I took 3 pills and I still have not had a BM in nearly 2 weeks! How much magnesium is everyone taking to stay 'regular'?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 15:02

Stats: 244/219/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

I think mine are 400 mg, I take two at night and one in the morning. Keeps me just right.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 15:55

Plan: atkins-y paleo-y
Stats: 164.2/125.2/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 99%

My magnesium is 500 mg and I take two per day.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 15:57

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I also take about 1000 mg of magnesium and 1000 mg of calcium right before bed every night. Magnesium keeps ya regular and calcium helps you get a good nights rest.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 16:30

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

For constipation make sure you take Magnesium OXCIDE . There are many of different types of Magnesium.

Quote:
If you are using magnesium oxide as a laxative, take it with a full glass (8 ounces) of cold water or fruit juice. Do not take a dose late in the day on an empty stomach.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...er/a601074.html

Magnesium is a great supplement to incorporate into your daily diet and another good option is Flaxseeds - they are full of a whole range of good nutrition including keeping you 'regular'. And you can conveniently buy them in most grocery stores these days.

Here's a link that has every bit of information you need on Flaxseeds:
http://www.stevensfarm.com/3bags.htm

Last edited by NYNikki : Fri, Feb-09-07 at 18:10.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 23:16
Never Give Up!!

BF:

Thanks everyone, I will take four of my 250mg pills tonight.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 23:24

Plan: 30 or less daily
Stats: 232.2/214.4/169 Female 68
BF:[url=http://www.Ti
Progress: 28%

Good luck Marcia!!!

By the way I just looked at your pics and girl you don't look like you weigh 167 lbs.! More like maybe 120. You must be really tall to carry that weight and be so skinny! You and your daughter look just alike. Very pretty indeed.

Cissie
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 07:49

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default lots of water, plus....

hope your plan works; could also be that what your body needs for on-going regularity is not enough to treat a short-term problem. If the pills don't work, look to one of the drinks and plan on staying home all day. If that doesn't work, consider calling a doctor. (I'm sorta over-reacting here, but I've had a few close calls and impaction is not pretty.)

Is this a new-to-LC adjustment problem, in which case you'll probably figure out a balance of supplements/fiber/foods that works for you in the very near future, or something else? I changed brands of alpha-lipoic acid once and found myself completely stopped for three weeks. Very uncomfortable. I'm about to head back onto oxycodone post-op, and that will stop a body up too.

Good luck.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 10:33
Never Give Up!!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissie_12
Good luck Marcia!!!

By the way I just looked at your pics and girl you don't look like you weigh 167 lbs.! More like maybe 120. You must be really tall to carry that weight and be so skinny! You and your daughter look just alike. Very pretty indeed.

Cissie

Thanks Cissie, your so sweet!! The 'during' pictures I have posted were back from Oct. (before my holiday bindge). I think I weighed about 150-155. I am currently working on taking off the 15+ pounds I put on over Christmas. It's amazing how fast I can put on weight, and how long it takes to take it back off.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 10:41
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%

I agree with Chain Saw. How much water do yo drink each day??? Not only does it help to keep you regular -- but it also helps to flush all the wastes out of your body. You will be having a lot more wastes now that you are losing weight.

Drink a ton of water (but avoid the water intoxication thing -- who would have thought -- maybe that is my problem -- water intoxication? - but yet I digress)

To get an idea -- Go to your local drug store. Ask them for a magnesium liquid laxative. And read the label. Better yet -- I found it on line.

Adults and children 12 years of age and older: 1/2 to 1 bottle (10 fl. oz.).

Magnesium Citrate 1.745 g Per Fluid Oz times 10 oz in a bottle = 17.45 grams of magnesium !!!

Holy $#%^. No way would I recommend that much.

I take like 300 mg per day in my multivitamin and then take one capsule with a ton of different mangnesiums

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Magnesium-Ultra

If I take two of these per day for a couple of days -- it is usually too much. If I don't take one of these per day -- for about a week -- it is too little.

I would think that four pills (250 mg each) would be fine. Once you get started again (with water and magnesium) you can probably cut back some.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Feb-11-07 at 09:41. Reason: Fixing link
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 10:45
Never Give Up!!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
hope your plan works; could also be that what your body needs for on-going regularity is not enough to treat a short-term problem. If the pills don't work, look to one of the drinks and plan on staying home all day. If that doesn't work, consider calling a doctor. (I'm sorta over-reacting here, but I've had a few close calls and impaction is not pretty.)

Is this a new-to-LC adjustment problem, in which case you'll probably figure out a balance of supplements/fiber/foods that works for you in the very near future, or something else? I changed brands of alpha-lipoic acid once and found myself completely stopped for three weeks. Very uncomfortable. I'm about to head back onto oxycodone post-op, and that will stop a body up too.

Good luck.

I am not new to low carb, but I admit I have not been drinking as much water as I should be lately. It's been so cold here in Wisconsin lately, and when ever I get the slighted feeling of "cold" -I gotta go tinkle. I don't usually have this kind of problem, not to the point where it hurts my belly (and hurts to sit). I think I am going to make a "1 minute muffin" (which has 1/4 c of flax) and guzzle tons of water today. I hope this is just a temporary thing. Thank you for the great advice!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 10:50

Plan: 30 or less daily
Stats: 232.2/214.4/169 Female 68
BF:[url=http://www.Ti
Progress: 28%

Hope it works for you. I've been using flax seed but it hasn't seemed to help me. Guess I need a PLUMBER! lol

Cissie
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 07:47

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Default wait a minute....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia Mae
Iwhere it hurts my belly (and hurts to sit).

You're not sitting on a bladder infection, are you??
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 10:56

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

When my son was on chemo he often got quite constipated and wasn't interested in "going." His lower belly would be tender if I pressed in, and it felt hard to me. When he got like that I would take him outside and run him around. Getting him to bend over and move his muscles generally got things moving again.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 11:09
Never Give Up!!

BF:

Finally 'went' today - and lost 2 pounds