Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 11:28

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 160/145/125 Female 5'7.75"
BF:15.6%
Progress: 43%
Default Dry Skin Brushing

So I tried brushing my skin while dry with an exfoliation cloth last night, and WOW. It was so relaxing and I felt so clean after taking a shower. I washed with a organic olive oil soap and lotioned up with an organic Dead Sea Salt body butter. Its a wonder something so simple can have such an effect. I was wondering, besides being relaxing and getting clean, what does Dry Skin Brushing accomplish? I've only seen Paleo threads discussing it, I've heard that it can help with cellulite, is that true? What are some other benefits you guys have seen from it?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 11:40

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

The advantages recently discussed were skin tightening and cellulite removal. I've been going at it 2-3 times a week now for almost three weeks, and I think it's the best thing I've discovered since the Paleo diet itself. I think it does improve circulation, as I get this feeling of warmth right after. Then I take a cold shower. Here's the link to the other thread if you are interested.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=299874
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 11:50

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

What he said.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 18:59
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hmm...so what do you use to do the brushing with? Sounds nice. My beauty regimen is so spartan now, I have time to work in a dry brushing!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 19:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Is the idea just to rub the area? Would any sort of cloth work?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 20:58

BF:

I use a natural bristle brush that I bought at Whole Foods. I've heard from someone here, I think, that the natural bristles are better because they don't scratch your skin. My skin's not scratched! So I guess it works.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 03:09

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

DietMonstr, there are more advantages than just skin improvement, as it:

-Improves digestion;
-Tightens skin;
-Cleans your lymphatic system;
-Removes cellulite;
-Stimulates circulation;
-Balances energy levels;
-Increases cell renewal;
-Strengthens your immune system;
-Increases your metabolism.

And certainly do use the brush with natural bristles or you'll reap less benefit from it.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 06:27

BF:

#9   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 06:43

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 160/145/125 Female 5'7.75"
BF:15.6%
Progress: 43%

I did the brushing once last night and then this morning also, I hope this isnt too much! I will be going to Whole Foods today to see if I can find a proper brush. Thank you for your help!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 07:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't understand why it has to be a brush. If you're just massaging the area to improve circulation then it seems like there's lots of ways to do it.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 07:48

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietMonstr
I did the brushing once last night and then this morning also, I hope this isnt too much! I will be going to Whole Foods today to see if I can find a proper brush. Thank you for your help!

Once a day is the optimal frequency! You are on the right track!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I don't understand why it has to be a brush. If you're just massaging the area to improve circulation then it seems like there's lots of ways to do it.

Nancy, the focus is upon NATURAL BRISTLES, not upon the brush per se. It could be specific mitten or bast wisp or whatever “naturally prickly” … it just turns out that natural bristle brushes are more available.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 07:52

Plan: My Own
Stats: 175/148.8/140 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:

I was wondering about that too. In theory any massage would help with circulation. Brush does not seems to be necessary unless you can not reach some spots.
Did anyone try brush and "brush-less" approach? Is there is a difference?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 07:53

Plan: My Own
Stats: 175/148.8/140 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 75%

I see the answer to my question. I am in for skin brushing!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 08:12

BF:

Quote:

I think it is just a different kind of 'massage.' I've been reading about this and it's beginning to make for sense to me now. The bristle brush is an excellent exfoliating tool. All it takes is a light touch to remove dead skin cells and and invigorate and stimulate the skin. I would say it is more of a 'surface' massage as opposed to anything you could do with hands alone. It's almost addictive in the way it makes you feel - warm and fuzzy, and ALIVE. Of course, other types of massage make a person feel good as well. They're just different. I think of brushing as more of a personal/grooming habit.

I'm sure you could get the same healthful effects using other tools, but honestly, I don't see how anything could replicate a brush entirely. Eos is right, there's something about this. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't improve vericose vein conditions as well. We'll see - it runs in my family and I have a small area on my right leg that already seems to be improving. Time will tell.

Happy brushing!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 09:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:

Try it with both Nancy, you'll see . Skin brushing is fantastic on your face too. You'll never have another enlarged pore anywhere you skin bush regularly. For any skin, you will find that the longer you do it the more vigorous you can be without running the risk of actually scratching the skin and the more invigorating it feels. When I started skin brushing years ago on the advice of my partner, I found that the best value brush for using on my face was the natural horsehair shoe polishing brushes you can buy cheaply at any supermarket in Australia. I'm sure they're available in the U.S as well.