Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-21, 12:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

A double YES! from me.

The story of how I combined them, then hitting and maintaining a lower weight than in college, was published on Marty Kendall's website: https://optimisingnutrition.com/jul...driven-fasting/ (Julia is my FB name)

My recently added success story here delves more into the Nutritional Optimization/ food aspect of The P:E Diet and links the other threads on those two topics.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-21, 13:07

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Is anyone combining IF with High(er) Protein?

Hi Demi, just want to make sure I interpret your question correctly. I eat two meals a day with an 18-hour window between my last meal of the first day and my first meal of the next day, say last meal is 6pm and next meal is next day at 12pm. So, my two meals are at 12pm and 6pm every day. If you consider that IF, which some do, then I've been doing this with higher protein for the past 2 years with good results. I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm pursuing good health with stable weight and well-controlled blood sugar. During this time, I've also cut back on fat, not radically, but it's lower than before, also with good results. I increased my protein after reading and watching some Bikman and Naiman presentations and reading Naiman's book, The PE Diet: Leverage Your Biology to Achieve Optimal Health. One recommendation to increase protein as one ages got my attention, as I'm in year 70 and want to maintain muscle mass along with a healthy weight.

I feel great with more protein, a bit less fat, and my hunger is controlled very well. I don't limit what I eat, but I don't care to overeat with the exception of certain trigger foods. You could say my increase in protein and a few more healthy carbs supplanted my previous amount of fat. While I used to do longer IF periods, I no longer feel the need to do so. Hope this helps.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-21, 13:32

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Except for the timing of my meals I eat like Rob does, 2 meals a day, high protein, somewhat lesser fat than previously somewhat greater carbs than previously. I eat at around 8 AM and 3 PM with no snacks. It's working well for me.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-21, 11:15

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:

Janet, Rob and Jean, many thanks for answering my question

Always good to see what works for others in the hope it may also work for me.

My intention is carry on with IF. Although I've been eating OMAD for the last week because I have been particularly hungry, my usual regime is more or less the same as Rob's. Two meals a day, one at lunchtime (around 12.30pm) and one in the evening (around 6.30pm).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
The story of how I combined them, then hitting and maintaining a lower weight than in college, was published on Marty Kendall's website: https://optimisingnutrition.com/jul...driven-fasting/ (Julia is my FB name)
Great story, thanks for sharing!
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-21, 12:39

I give equal credit to Ted Naiman's P:E Diet and Marty Kendall's Fasting protocol using your BG pre-meal. Though now after a year I could fix the the time at 12 and 6, testing is a good reminder to be sure my 'fuel tank" is really getting close to empty. Happy to help you..think we already have meal ideas on the two threads in Semi-Low Carb forum
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-21, 13:27

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I give equal credit to Ted Naiman's P:E Diet and Marty Kendall's Fasting protocol using your BG pre-meal. Though now after a year I could fix the the time at 12 and 6, testing is a good reminder to be sure my 'fuel tank" is really getting close to empty. Happy to help you..think we already have meal ideas on the two threads in Semi-Low Carb forum
Thanks Janet!
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-21, 06:37

Yet another new Guide from DietDoctor based on Dr Naiman's P:E calculator but laid out in squares along the x and y axis with the foods photos. The focus is to maximize Satiety per Calorie, so healthy vegetables and dairy are preferred over bacon, cream, and cheese.
Dairy foods include non and low fat yogurt and cottage cheese, hot dogs and pork ribs slide down the scale, and other quite different advice from where "keto" started.

The best foods for healthy weight loss

https://www.dietdoctor.com/weight-loss/foods
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-21, 07:42

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/244.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hi Janet

Congratulations on your amazing trajectory and on shooting straight past your original goal! Does the DDF program center arounder testing blood sugars?

I am trying to find a new challenge to join, and I had never visited Optimizing Nutrition before, but always had the best lc weightloss successes when lowering my fats - without any shadow of a doubt, so this looked immediately interesting to me.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-21, 08:30

Hi HoneyPie,

Yes, the DDF program is based on your Blood Glucose readings before you eat a meal. Most people are use to testing afterward, and that is involved if you haven't already found the foods that do not raise your BG more than 30 mg. But many members are already low carbers and have post-meal under control.

DDF is using your pre-meal readings as a "fuel-gauge"...is it time to eat or do I still have energy in my blood that could be used? Here is a Quick Start guide from the website. https://optimisingnutrition.com/ddf...ide/#more-23032
This will lead you to find optimal eating times based on your own valid hunger, not just following the times that worked for some fasting guru. I did this myself in the past..Dr. Fung's group suggested a 36-42 hour fast for older women. I hated going to sleep hungry and then overate when the fast was over. Most people on DDF end up with 2 or 3 meals a day in order to be able to eat enough satiating protein and nutrients.

Marty offers tons of free information you can read before committing, including information about optimizing your nutrition. Look on the home page for that and under the Free Tools tab. What I linked at the end of my success story here are good places to start too.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Nov-14-21 at 10:00.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-21, 10:18

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/244.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 58%

Thank you! Appreciate you taking the time to type the above, and thank you for everything you’ve shared!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-21, 04:53

Another guide to go with the High Protein Guide:
The best foods for healthy weight loss

All foods: https://www.dietdoctor.com/weight-loss/foods

Vegetables:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/weight-loss/vegetables

Though vegetables can have high protein percentages, the benefit to weight loss is from the fiber and feeling of satiety for me.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-22, 08:10

Another protein article today for the New Year:

How to get started on a high-protein diet

https://www.dietdoctor.com/high-protein/get-started

DietDoctor also sent me as a member a new two week "Reset Diet" plan. I think they will still offer some of the longer plans too, Weight Loss for Good, which are excellent if having a daily reminder email with science based information will help keep you accountable.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-22, 10:22

More News from the DietDoctor himself on Twitter.

Quote:
Super excited about the upcoming vastly improved personalization on our site/app. Next level. But not only that, we have a more effective and flexible approach coming too.

You like keto? We'll have super keto. You want a more moderate low-carb approach? We'll do that better too.

People are, of course, are asking for hints before the big reveal…yes, the programs will include higher protein, more moderate low carb, something close to the Protein Percentage calculator will be on the website and app, etc.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-22, 09:36

High Protein by definition is Higher Nutrient Density.
DietDoctor published my success story with the title:
How Janet succeeded with more protein and higher satiety

https://www.dietdoctor.com/succeede...-higher-satiety

And today, a new podcast: #104. The secret of nutrient denaity. An interview with Marty Kendall.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-22, 03:44

Protein is the most satiating macronutrient, and Satiety will be the "word of the year" in 2023.

DietDoctor is adding new food items with lists where it is not only carb count, or P: E ratio, but satiety as well. There will be more articles about it in the New Year, but here is the Food Navigator.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/food-navigator/satiety

The first article introducing the Satiety Score:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/satiety/score

Marty Kendall has already written many articles on satiety, he added a new overview today:

Satiety: How to Lose Weight with Less Hunger.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/sat...th-less-hunger/

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Dec-19-22 at 03:52.