Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 20:59

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Omg I lov mac n cheese. My mothers recipe was heaven, and easy to make. I stopped making it after reading DANDR.....my kids have never tasted grammys mac n cheese recipe inmy effort to push whole foods.

Meats, good of you to do Vlc......despite not enjoying meats. Maybe its tbe recipes....?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 05:14

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Umm...a carnivore diet without meat....isn’t carnivore. Somewhere on podcasts was a discussion it must be ruminant animals...some allow chicken or fish now and again for variety, but the nutrients from grazing are important.

I'm eating ground meat mostly at this point: grassfed beef and humanely raised pork. But I did a nearly month of beef and salt! It wasn't as hard as it might seem from the outside. For one thing, it was DELICIOUS and satisfying in a way vegans describe when their health forces them back to meat eating

But I did well with a long stretch of eggs and then a bunch of seafood in mayo.

I do wonder if it's as much what I DON'T eat. The zero cravings part still astonishes me, and that's from very little veggie content; basically condiment levels, like a scattering on a sandwich or a topping on my BBQ pork.

That plate from childhood with 4 equal portions: 1 meat, 2 veg, 1 starch: that would KILL me now.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 09:10

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Since nothing else has every worked for me yet I have toyed with the idea of going carnivore. They problem is that I don’t especially like meat and never have. I do eat it, but I never love it or crave it. From a taste and satisfaction standpoint I still (even after 14 years in the LC wheelhouse this time around) I still crave a big dish of mac and cheese way more than I do a steak. Of course I don’t EAT the mac and cheese but it’s still what I would prefer!
Oh my goodness! I cannot imagine going carnivore under those circumstances. What you've described is how I feel about vegetables. I can eat them, in the same way I could take Robitussin when I was a kid. They taste like medicine to me. Going full blown carnivore from dedicated low carb wasn't much of a transition for me - I was practically doing it anyway. It means I've made changes like cutting out the Rao's tomato sauce on my meatballs.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-20, 15:29

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Ok, I'm actually trying out carnivore right now. Well not 100% but about 97% maybe, assuming you count all animal products. I started out with strictly bacon and eggs, as I do love bacon and eggs. I've only been doing this about a week or less so far. Several days of bacon and eggs. Then I went and bought a 1/4 pound of liverwurst from the deli as I do like to have some liver every now and then. I do love sauteed chicken livers too but obviously eating a little liverwurst is a lot faster

I do buy grassfed ground beef so have that too - last night and today. That's where the "nearly" carnivore comes in. I'm not super crazy about beef in general, but last night I sauteed a bunch into crumbles in a frying pan, just a little added salt. Then I put it in a bowl with some melted butter and a couple tsp of a pumpkin sauce I bought at the local health food market. It was delicious!

This morning it was more sauteed ground beef again with butter and some pumpkin sauce. I would probably add a little tomato sauce also to make the meat taste edible to me. Just now I finished up the last of the pound of ground beef, cooked in a pan as a hamburger this time, topped with bacon strips and some cheese. I took a corned beef out of my freezer which I will cook up in my Instant Pot for St. Paddy's Day. No steak as I'm not fond of steak so that would spoil the diet for me, though occasionally I'll have a steak in a restaurant, but no interest in cooking at home.

Still too soon to see how this will work for me but so far the scale is down a few pounds, and my BP and BG are both trending downward. I'm enjoying not having to think about veggies. But generally when I get this strict I end up having intense cravings after a month or so, and want to fall face down into a hot fudge sundae. So taking it day by day.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-20, 21:41

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I had Maria Emmerich's 2020 book The Carnivore Cookbook for a few days and was surprised to see they detailed four levels of the diet (for some reason I missed level 2):

#36   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-20, 06:08

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Thanks for posting the 4 levels of Carnivore
I think I will order her cookbook - looks useful
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-20, 09:56

BF:

I guess I'm a level 4 since I do include herbs, spices, mustard, mayo, etc. I could never do Level 1! The idea of just beef and salt just seems awful to be.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-20, 10:59

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Thanks for posting the 4 levels of Carnivore
I think I will order her cookbook - looks useful
recipes look great - i snapped a couple:

#39   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-20, 14:25

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Egg shells in bone broth is interesting ... I wonder how much calcium they really add? No harm in saving them up and giving it a try though!
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-20, 16:09

BF:

Hmm, I've been saving a lot of bacon grease lately so I certainly have plenty to try making the bacon mayo! I may just have to give that recipe a try. I just bought a new stick blender last month too to replace the one I lost in my house fire. I'm all set.

Last edited by Merpig : Sun, Mar-15-20 at 16:17.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-20, 17:11

BF:

I did it! I made the bacon mayo! Wow, it tastes awesome and turned out perfectly, thick and creamy. Now I have to figure out what I'll use it with. But definitely yummy.

I made two small changes to the recipe. Instead of two egg yolks I used one whole egg. I've always done this in the past when making mayo and it always came out great. I hate to waste anything and who wants just plain egg whites? Though I suppose I could have cooked them for my dog. But this way only one egg was used and not sure when I'll get to the store for more eggs again. I also added a dash of garlic/parsley powder. I need something for dinner that I can use this mayo on because it's so awesome. I was going to make bacon and eggs but not sure that's the right vehicle for this mayo.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-20, 17:35

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I did it! I made the bacon mayo! Wow, it tastes awesome and turned out perfectly, thick and creamy. Now I have to figure out what I'll use it with. But definitely yummy.

I made two small changes to the recipe. Instead of two egg yolks I used one whole egg. I've always done this in the past when making mayo and it always came out great. I hate to waste anything and who wants just plain egg whites? Though I suppose I could have cooked them for my dog. But this way only one egg was used and not sure when I'll get to the store for more eggs again. I also added a dash of garlic/parsley powder. I need something for dinner that I can use this mayo on because it's so awesome. I was going to make bacon and eggs but not sure that's the right vehicle for this mayo.

That sounds so good. You could use that on salad, asparagus, celery dippers, as a sauce for chicken or beef. If I could only save up some. Now I use it to cook everything.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-20, 19:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
That sounds so good. You could use that on salad, asparagus, celery dippers, as a sauce for chicken or beef. If I could only save up some. Now I use it to cook everything.
I'm planning to cook a corned beef in my Instant Pot tomorrow and I might have some of hte bacon mayo with that when I eat it.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-20, 19:59

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
I'm planning to cook a corned beef in my Instant Pot tomorrow and I might have some of hte bacon mayo with that when I eat it.

Perfect! I made one at the beginning of the week and ate it all!

Then I roasted part of a brisket in the oven which is good for eating cold with mustard this week.

Right now I'm enjoying a nice juicy ribeye with some leftover cabbage and bacon..
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-20, 04:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:

Yay! I throw bacon on my salmon salads, this would also work.