Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#2311   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-20, 10:52

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks. I am so much happier. My body is simply relieved
Sponsored Links
  #2312   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-20, 12:09

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 5 5'
BF:
Progress: 53%

So delighted for you Patricia, you are a CALP pro.
Had a peek in your journal; hope you are recovering well from the procedure. It must be a relief to get it done.

I was amused with you describing those 'voices' telling you to go for the keto cheesecake for breakfast. Know them well.

In a strange place here actually with digestive health issues,
not having much of an appetite or any desire whatsoever for healthy meals,
Just out of balance in a weird way. Hard to explain. So not on plan yet. lol. Don't know what to do with myself these days.

Anyway; I have tubs of mascarpone cheese to use up.
It was bought by accident instead of ricotta that i use in a vegetarian lasagne. No clue what to do with them.
Seen on a menu: Pancakes with vanilla mascarpone which i thought sounded nice.
  #2313   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-20, 06:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryh
<snip>

I was amused with you describing those 'voices' telling you to go for the keto cheesecake for breakfast. Know them well.

In a strange place here actually with digestive health issues,
not having much of an appetite or any desire whatsoever for healthy meals,
Just out of balance in a weird way. Hard to explain. So not on plan yet. lol. Don't know what to do with myself these days.

Anyway; I have tubs of mascarpone cheese to use up.
It was bought by accident instead of ricotta that i use in a vegetarian lasagne. No clue what to do with them.
Seen on a menu: Pancakes with vanilla mascarpone which i thought sounded nice.

Well let's try an answer again (router went flooey right as I tried to post a reply, and it zipped off, like a deflating balloon into the ether...).

Good to hear from you.
Not happy to hear you are having a health issue - trust you are working with a doctor you trust, to resolve this?

Mascarpone - a quick google search showed it can be used for sweet or savory, there are keto/atkins/lchf recipes out there for desserts, and some use it as a substitute for sour cream (not as light, but a much higher fat content than sour cream).

Here's to telling our "voices" where they can go, on a daily basis
  #2314   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-20, 06:53
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Happy 2020. I haven't stopped by since the summer- saw some action and figured I'd say hi. I'm still on CALP, and still doing well on the plan. It's a lot easier to eat out now - everyplace has some kind of 'keto' or low carb options, and they seem to accept my usual special requests (no rice, green veggies instead of the potatoes) without any problems. And after all these years my family and friends are used to my plan too.
Hope you have a great year-
E
  #2315   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 14:06

BF:

Eno....Wishing a happy & healthy new year to you and your family.
You are missed.
Encouraging to know the CALP is still working great for you.
Great to know there is progress and more options when eating out. Having those foods to hand is such a God send.

Quote:
Well let's try an answer again (router went flooey right as I tried to post a reply, and it zipped off, like a deflating balloon into the ether...).

So funny Patricia, This has happened to me in the past also after i'd written an essay like reply.
Pretty frustrating.
Sorry to hear of the disappointing social media. It can make one feel lonelier than ever i find. Think many people have disengaged from on-line interaction in general, are emotionally detached (unless they are posting about their topics) and take a somewhat voyeuristic attitude about it now. Still such a let down though & hard not to take it personal.

My only goal this week is to focus on having more healthy meals.
Planning on having more soup and low carb green smoothies, and easy to eat protein foods too which i think will work regardless of appetite status.

Best wishes to you both for the week & year ahead.

Last edited by maryh : Sun, Feb-02-20 at 21:44.
  #2316   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 05:32

I like your goal for the week Mary H!
  #2317   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 05:57

Quote:
<snip>
Sorry to hear of the disappointing social media. It can make one feel lonelier than ever i find. Think many people have disengaged from on-line interaction in general, are emotionally detached (unless they are posting about their topics) and take a somewhat voyeuristic attitude about it now. Still such a let down though & hard not to take it personal.
<snip>

In general, I may well write an article about this in the future. I've had folks that I've told about my diagnosis, simply not respond, as if they didn't hear me. Or, they never respond if I tell them I just had surgery and it went well (this just happened with a very close family member). I don't really know what to do with that...do they not care? Are *they* overwhelmed? It is a mystery, a puzzle to me, that I'd love to solve.
I am certainly, as I walk on this path, learning a lot. If you have breast cancer, you can expect a LOT of support. And that is a great thing but for
Bladder cancer? Nothing. I give my second opinion doctor, whose now my doctor credit for mentioning the one online educational and support site -
Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network and handing me some literature to read to be sure I had some kind of information. The first practice fell down totally in terms of information and support.

Okay, obviously feeling serious today, and this is off the topic of the way of eating for me - calp. I love answering, btw, questions re my diet (I am part of a long running national nurses health study, plus answer research questions on 23andme), choosing "other" and then listing Calp. It is still being followed, it still is sound, and still works!

Last edited by patriciakr : Tue, Feb-04-20 at 07:26. Reason: Because how I expressed myself didn't feel right...
  #2318   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 21:41

BF:

Quote:
In general, I may well write an article about this in the future. I've had folks that I've told about my diagnosis, simply not respond, as if they didn't hear me. Or, they never respond if I tell them I just had surgery and it went well (this just happened with a very close family member). I don't really know what to do with that...do they not care? Are *they* overwhelmed? It is a mystery, a puzzle to me, that I'd love to solve.

This is awful to admit but i'm not even surprised to hear this Patricia, and i'm so
sorry-These things should never be.

I cannot say i know exactly how you must be feeling but from what I've learned from 'serious' issues I've been in from the past is this:
People just do not have the cognitive framework to know how to respond effectively.
Its new to them, yes they could be very overwhelmed especially if they are close to you and immediately want to go into some kind of denial or want to minimise it too.
Think its safer to say nothing encase they say the wrong thing and want to act 'normal'...or business as usual.
Some people are very much 'closed books' in terms of how they express their feelings too so in a way they are like a swan on the surface,,(but underneath they are paddling like hell! )
I don't think its because they are unconcerned or do not care.
They might care so much but never show you....bizarrely.

Its surprising how many people over-ride their feelings all day, but then it usually comes out only in dreams at night. It's automatically dumped into the subconscious. Some people have never even been allowed to express their feelings. Lord, we need a Phd in psychology!

It may even make somebody act angry or traumatised that this kind of thing can happen to people they care about. Hard to be on the receiving end of it, especially if at a low ebb already for sure.
People are really some kettle of fish at times. Myself included; i'm sure I too can let people down.

The other thing is not everyone has the same heart as you Patricia,
Not just anyway can be a nurse for example; it takes an extra-ordinary person usually with an above average amount of compassion for others and ability to reach out with care to other people in their time of need.

Had the green smoothie today with a small egg followed by a matcha green tea.
Kept me feeling good energy wise for hours.

Hoping to do the same again tomorrow and make soup too.
  #2319   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-20, 05:52

Maryh, good post, food for thought for me. Thank you

Matcha green tea - I've yet to make this properly! I want to figure out how to like it

For now, I just try to have some plain green tea daily - good for a body!

Have another good day!
  #2320   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-20, 18:45

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 192.5/153.5/165.0 Male 5 ft 8 inches
BF:25%/13%/15%
Progress: 142%

Just a quick note to all to say thanks and let you know I am here. I do most of my writing and posting on the CAD FaceBook Group led by Alison Beaumont Johnson. We have 2440 or so registered there and new ones all the time. Jan 14th was my three year pl-anniversary. Lost all my weight and kept it off. I do not cheat. Like enomarb I stay on plan no matter what. Why ever not?

Very sorry that Patricia has bladder cancer. Love to you and prayers for you. You will get well!
  #2321   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-20, 05:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDParrish
Just a quick note to all to say thanks and let you know I am here. I do most of my writing and posting on the CAD FaceBook Group led by Alison Beaumont Johnson. We have 2440 or so registered there and new ones all the time. Jan 14th was my three year pl-anniversary. Lost all my weight and kept it off. I do not cheat. Like enomarb I stay on plan no matter what. Why ever not?

Very sorry that Patricia has bladder cancer. Love to you and prayers for you. You will get well!

Congratulations on your 3 year anniversary! That is a wonderful achievement.
I enjoyed the years I was on the original list with the Hellers, for the most part

and thank you.

Pat (who won against "the voice" yesterday. )
  #2322   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-20, 11:20

BF:

Read an article today Patricia, where people were describing that they too felt that they were ghosted by family and friends after being diagnosed.
They started up a blog/app called 'war on cancer' where people can share their experiences and traumatic feelings. Might be worth a look.

Was so glad to hear you got good news on the health front. Wishing ( & Praying) for your healing in every way from this trying and lonely ordeal.

I used to make the green tea with unsweetened almond milk with a hand held milk whisk/frother. I would add a sugar free vanilla syrup too.
My whisk was a novelty type, with a little chef man at the bottom which was a hit with my little nephew in particular. Much buffoonery ensued each time a chocolate milk was made so its finally out of action now.. Broken.
Will be sticking to the green tea for now too. Less complicated. Heard it was good for your gums too.

i gave myself permission to 'go with' my Carb inclinations these days because I've been telling myself lent is next week anyway.
Such a mistake; Feeling truly horrid now irrespective of weight. Time to give myself a good taking to i'm afraid.

Hello to BDParrish if your reading; Congratulations on the 3 year milestone; Absolutely fantastic going. Loved reading your post and hearing of your continued success with the CAD.
Great to know we are not alone and there are many of us CAD/CALP-ers floating around out there.
  #2323   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-20, 05:39

Quote:
Read an article today Patricia, where people were describing that they too felt that they were ghosted by family and friends after being diagnosed.
They started up a blog/app called 'war on cancer' where people can share their experiences and traumatic feelings. Might be worth a look.

Was so glad to hear you got good news on the health front. Wishing ( & Praying) for your healing in every way from this trying and lonely ordeal.

I used to make the green tea with unsweetened almond milk with a hand held milk whisk/frother. I would add a sugar free vanilla syrup too.
My whisk was a novelty type, with a little chef man at the bottom which was a hit with my little nephew in particular. Much buffoonery ensued each time a chocolate milk was made so its finally out of action now.. Broken.
Will be sticking to the green tea for now too. Less complicated. Heard it was good for your gums too.

i gave myself permission to 'go with' my Carb inclinations these days because I've been telling myself lent is next week anyway.
Such a mistake; Feeling truly horrid now irrespective of weight. Time to give myself a good taking to i'm afraid.

Hello to BDParrish if your reading; Congratulations on the 3 year milestone; Absolutely fantastic going. Loved reading your post and hearing of your continued success with the CAD.
Great to know we are not alone and there are many of us CAD/CALP-ers floating around out there.

Thank you MaryH, I will go look for that blog after I am done reading and posting here today. I really appreciate it.

I loved your description of your novelty whisk
Green tea is good for so many things it would appear, and thankfully, just tastes good!

I am looking forward to Lent to be honest. I do better at so much during this time!
  #2324   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-20, 10:35

BF:

Quote:
I am looking forward to Lent to be honest. I do better at so much during this time!

Same as that Patricia, i manage to switch off and just accept that those tempting 'treat's' are just not an option and it definitely encourages me to stay on the CAD plan to avoid cravings as well. Just makes things so much easier. Feeling blessed already.

Happy to report I'm very pleased with my soup making efforts of late.
Made a keto Tomato mascarpone soup from the website i think you had recommended here before.
https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/ea...-soup-low-carb/

Made a carrot and coriander one for my RM.
I had been adding broccoli also for the added goodness but i didn't like how it made the overall soup taste and how it ruined the vibrant colour of the carrots. So what i did was to blend the broccoli and coriander/cilantro separately and then kind of fold it in to the carrot base.
Love it now and it hasn't decreased the overall sweetness this way and i love seeing the little flecks of broccoli throughout.
Decreasing caffeine and chopping all my vegetables up small has made the lack of appetite situation better too. Thank God.

A big wind storm is forecast here for tomorrow which will threaten the electricity supply so hope to spend the evening meal prepping.
Its unbelievable we've been having such stormy weather almost every single weekend of February. So many areas are completely flooded already.
Looking like i will need to prep if the corona virus comes to town also; not looking forward to it.

Love the meals your having in your journal Patricia. Cauliflower cheese especially.
  #2325   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 06:02

Quote:
Same as that Patricia, i manage to switch off and just accept that those tempting 'treat's' are just not an option and it definitely encourages me to stay on the CAD plan to avoid cravings as well. Just makes things so much easier. Feeling blessed already.

Happy to report I'm very pleased with my soup making efforts of late.
Made a keto Tomato mascarpone soup from the website i think you had recommended here before.
https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/ea...-soup-low-carb/

Made a carrot and coriander one for my RM.
I had been adding broccoli also for the added goodness but i didn't like how it made the overall soup taste and how it ruined the vibrant colour of the carrots. So what i did was to blend the broccoli and coriander/cilantro separately and then kind of fold it in to the carrot base.
Love it now and it hasn't decreased the overall sweetness this way and i love seeing the little flecks of broccoli throughout.
Decreasing caffeine and chopping all my vegetables up small has made the lack of appetite situation better too. Thank God.

A big wind storm is forecast here for tomorrow which will threaten the electricity supply so hope to spend the evening meal prepping.
Its unbelievable we've been having such stormy weather almost every single weekend of February. So many areas are completely flooded already.
Looking like i will need to prep if the corona virus comes to town also; not looking forward to it.

Love the meals your having in your journal Patricia. Cauliflower cheese especially.

I love soups - and yes, that is my favorite recipe creator on the net - her second book is coming out soon and I can not wait, we love the recipes in her first cookbook. Nice thing is, her website is full of free to read and print out recipes

She also shares on her facebook page, links to other great recipes from other bloggers and they are usually quite good too.

Your soup and tweaks sound delicious! I have my eye on a broccoli-cauliflower - cheddar soup recipe that is either hers or she posted a link to - the picture of it looks sooooo good.
I admit to being totally unaware of the weather issues in your country - sounds scary.
And I admit to being happy that right now I don't think my husband's company is going to send him on any business trips - they are taking the coronavirus seriously, as I think we all must.

Thank you - I love sharing recipes, always have, always will!