Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-20, 05:38

Plan: Tim Noakes / Keto
Stats: 262/221/198 Male 174 cent
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Hello Everyone

Hello everyone. I look forward to all the help that I am going to get from this forum and to share my journey on the forum.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-20, 06:26

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Welcome. Make yourself at home. Tell us a bit more about your journey. Great to see someone from South Africa, home of our esteemed Tim Noakes.

Best wishes.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-20, 06:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome pwven,

Keep an eye out for our friend Grav from NZ...he started with the Tim Noakes plan. Here's his great story: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=476150

All the best,
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-20, 12:04

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Awesome, another Tim Noakes disciple! Welcome!

His Real Meal Revolution was the first resource to which I was referred, back in the day. It almost single-handedly changed the course of my life. Did the beginner Banting course there, then bought the book, read it in a single weekend, and began branching out to other places from there, including this forum.

I nearly bought a copy of The Lore of Nutrition last year as well, until I heard that a revised version - Real Food on Trial - was also on the way, so that's on my to-do list for this year.

Hope to see you stick around. We're all here to help!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-20, 14:00

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Love your avatar !! Enjoyed riding an elephant once...experience of a lifetime.

Welcome to the forum. Tim Noakes rocks.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-20, 06:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
Awesome, another Tim Noakes disciple! Welcome!

His Real Meal Revolution was the first resource to which I was referred, back in the day. It almost single-handedly changed the course of my life. Did the beginner Banting course there, then bought the book, read it in a single weekend, and began branching out to other places from there, including this forum.

I nearly bought a copy of The Lore of Nutrition last year as well, until I heard that a revised version - Real Food on Trial - was also on the way, so that's on my to-do list for this year.

Hope to see you stick around. We're all here to help!

Thanks for your positive comments, I sure need them at this stage. Congratulation on your success.
I plan to stay on this forum for a long time as I made up my mind this is the way I am going and looking forward to be more healthy and active as the kg fall off.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-20, 06:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Welcome. Make yourself at home. Tell us a bit more about your journey. Great to see someone from South Africa, home of our esteemed Tim Noakes.

Best wishes.

Thanks bkloots. My name is Piet and staying in a coastal town in South Africa called Mossel Bay. Worked as an Mechanical Engineer for most of my working life and enjoy the retirement lifestyle now. Like to do photography of wild life mainly in large National Parks.
My health is fine but had a triple bypass procedure done about 10 years ago.
I am overweight and going to lose all of that over time with some support of this forum.
Piet
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-20, 06:57

Great to have you here, Piet. I was scrolling through my Kindle books this morning for another LC book, when I saw the Real Meal Revolution "on the shelf" I forget what I have ...must give a re-read.

Grav...interesting, that book is all about the trial.

Quote:
You couldn’t make it up. Real Food On Trial, How Diet Dictators Tried To Destroy A Top Scientist, has been called the ‘John Grisham of the non-fiction world’, a ‘blockbuster, jaw-dropping page-turner’. Another reviewer calls it a book that “should be fiction … yet it isn’t’. It is a revised and an updated edition of the groundbreaking original, Lore Of Nutrition, Challenging Conventional Dietary Beliefs, first published in South Africa in November 2017 and now for the international market.It continues the true and shocking story of a world-first: the unprecedented prosecution and persecution of Professor Tim Noakes, a distinguished scientist and medical doctor, in a multimillion rand case that stretched over more than four years. All for a single tweet giving his opinion on nutrition.Noakes and investigative journalist Marika Sboros have added up-to-date, robust scientific evidence in support of his views that launched the case against him. They have added a new chapter on the appeal hearing – a last-gasp attempt by establishment forces to overturn a comprehensive not-guilty verdict on all 10 aspects of the trumped-up charge of unprofessional conduct for the tweet.It also contains a new foreword by internationally renowned endurance swimmer and UN Patron of the Oceans, Lewis Pugh. Noakes helped Pugh be the first to swim successfully across some of the coldest oceans on the planet. A maritime lawyer by profession, Pugh writes of the passion he shares with Noakes: “for the pursuit of truth and justice and a natural antipathy towards bullies and liars”.That points a major theme of Real Food On Trial: a penetrating deep dive into the global scourge of academic bullying, or academic mobbing, as it is popularly known. The authors show how academic mobbing infects all of South Africa’s top universities at the highest levels. They probe the soft underbelly of the powerful vested interests in food and drug industries and the medical, dietetic and scientific mobsters that front them. They lay bare the heavy price that Professor Noakes has paid, professionally, emotionally and financially, for going against orthodoxy. And for daring to challenge the medical and dietary dogma that keeps people fat and sick across the globe.Pugh writes that, from the outset, he saw the trial as a freedom of speech issue. He was “troubled” when the country’s medical regulatory body, the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA), went to war with Noakes on the basis of his scientific opinion on nutrition. “After all, it’s one thing to deny the Holocaust or to say something that incites racial, religious hatred or violence. It’s quite another to say that you think meat, fish, chicken, eggs and dairy are good first foods for infants,” Pugh says.This book shines light into the heart of darkness of a uniquely strange scientific saga. It’s not over yet. Watch this space!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-20, 07:14

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

GREAT POST JANET! Thanks for the quote
I had no idea this was going on!
Amazing what the press will NOT cover if it goes against the current political opinion
Noakes deserves a Nobel Prize for survival.

This kind of persecution from the medical community - experienced first by Atkins then spread to all low-carbohydrate researchers and clinicians, is shameful.

Science is all about unearthing the truth - not hiding lies.
But when money and reputations are at stake - it is easier to support the lies.

Good for Noakes and hip hip hooray for the jury who found him guiltless.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-20, 12:42

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwven
My name is Piet and staying in a coastal town in South Africa called Mossel Bay. Worked as an Mechanical Engineer for most of my working life and enjoy the retirement lifestyle now. Like to do photography of wild life mainly in large National Parks.

I just looked up Mossel Bay on Google Maps and found the Point of Human Origins. Then I remembered Tim Noakes writing about a spot like this in Real Meal Revolution, went back to look it up again and... there it is. He actually references Mossel Bay in his book. How cool is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Grav...interesting, that book is all about the trial.

Yeah, Lore of Nutrition was the version that came out following the original verdict but before the appeal was done. Real Food on Trial is the updated edition that includes the appeal.

For a while there, Marika Sboros' website foodmed.net was a fascinating read, as she was writing regular articles about the trial while it was playing out. She is co-author of the book itself with Tim Noakes. I definitely plan on picking up a copy at some stage.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-20, 08:00

The Kindle version in the US is $8.99...looks like it was published in June, unless there is an update upcoming.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1907797653/
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-20, 12:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi Piet and welcome!

You’ve got a good plan for yourself, and found this excellent forum for support ... lots of tools for the journey!

If I may offer two things that helped me a lot in my first year of commitment to a permanent lifestyle change (year three ketoversary this week!) ....

- Use the forum. The years of discussion among members can be invaluable. The search function (use “advanced” only) was so helpful for me — almost any topic has been discussed, with experience, knowledge and advice offered from the community. Similarly, the “Best of...” category groups many of the discussions that members have found the most useful. I’ve learned so much that has helped keep me on track—both from those current members who actively answer questions and share their on-going research and reading, and those past members who’ve left behind good discussion.

- Starting a journal and reading others can also help with organizing information, your own learning, and keeping commitment strong. Many long-time low-carbers here are active in their journals and visiting each other (many daily), rather than posting so much on the general threads unless they feel they have something to offer there. So if you’re looking for community, a journal can be useful.

All the best to you!