Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-19, 07:01

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Keto for Mental Health- Dr. Ede’s resource guide

Dr. Ede’s provides links to several videos, podcasts and articles on the subject of ketogenic diets and mental health, as well as two book recommendations. Haven’t had the opportunity to review all yet, but thought it might be good to post this, so we can check these links as time permits. I find it is always good to remind myself of the benefits of improving mood and cognition with a keto WOE.

https://www.diagnosisdiet.com/ketog...osis%3A+Diet%29
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-19, 06:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Chris Palmer, MD has added a new Ketogenic Diet Resource Guide to his blog (it is huge!):

Keto resources for mental health and psychiatry

https://www.chrispalmermd.com/best-...and-psychiatry/
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-19, 07:47

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Eating for mood was actually the final piece in the puzzle for me for maintenance of a leaner body weight. Maybe not a coincidence, low mood and binge seem to go together.

I think low carb was better for my mood by far than SAD, and in retrospect maybe I had some improvements on the schizo-side of my schizoaffective disorder, but tightening up protein and increasing fat definitely improves things.

Social anxiety doesn't really go away. For a while I thought keeping the diet tight was helping against it--now I think it's more like avoiding the depressive side of things lets me sort of draw energy from the anxiety, rather than spiralling.

I find fasting is a wild card. Sometimes it makes things worse, but if things are already bad, I think more often than not, it will improve things.

There's a massive amount of propaganda--mostly in a good cause, mind you--about how protein won't knock you out of ketosis, the importance of protein versus loss of lean mass, it's just the carbs that matter, etc. Good advice for a lot of people--following it versus a higher fat keto reliably and repeatedly worsens my mood when I succumb to it. Also doesn't seem to be necessary for me. I normally eat 60 or 70 grams of protein a day, when I go to excess it's rarely over 90 grams or so, that at most a few days a week (weekends). Judging from weightlifting and a single limb measurement (biceps) I'm not wasting away.

It's hard to get support for being this strict--when I'm 'cheating' it looks like I'm following a really tight low carb diet. But cheating can have me fretting that the guy behind me driving home might follow me home and kill me, that sort of paranoia. Or I might just have that tight back of the neck feeling you get watching a horror movie--for three days straight. I actually have a touch of that now just talking about it. Writing horror for crazy people is easy.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-19, 14:48

teaser,
I have no personal experience with the conditions you so eloquently write about on this forum. But this just morning, when I saw this new resource, and established a past background connection with its author, found she is an open, caring, person who would likely be interested in your experiences. Consider as you work through this huge list of disparate threads of information how Keto can help mental conditions to share your experiences with her. Like Doris with Dr. Westman, your precise tracking of macros and willingness to describe reactions, may help others. https://www.chrispalmermd.com/how-w...ervention-keto/
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-19, 01:09

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I'm beginning to recognize mood and binge in my n=1. Identifying this does not magically make it go away, but it's a start.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-19, 08:57

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Dr daniel amen addresses many brain disfunctions that he clearly describes so laypeople can self diagnose, then provides many many supports including supplements. I have found he is very accurate.... and been the most helpful. He emphasizes the importance of clearly selecting the type of difficulty as some supplements that are supportive of an area of the brain may antagonize another area.

He also has an online quiz to help ID issues. And to have more than one issue is typical.

Implimenting his recommendations, both my son and I have fewer issues now. Sadness and anxiety are negligable now.

Other areas beyond AMEN.
I did learn about vit D3, to take high levels.
And carbs matter. Put the most carbs in the last meal of the day and not in first meal, to reset cortisol and seratonin.
Added a high quality magnesium pill daily.

Then body needs time to assimulate changes.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-19, 13:09

Only one week after Dr. Palmer's new Keto resource Guide, add to that list a fantastic podcast interview on TheLowCarbMD. He includes a long case study of his own at McLean, and an update on Dr. Westman's patient, both patients with paranoid schizophrenia using Keto.
http://lowcarbmd.com/episode-49-dr-...-with-lifestyle
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-19, 03:41

A new article for Psychology Today:

Six Reasons to Go Paleo for Mental Health
How uncivilizing your diet can make for a happier, healthier brain.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...o-mental-health

Simple explanation of the problems with grains, legumes and dairy and the benefits of animal protein.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-19, 07:37

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Dr. Ede's latest article is a sound approach to Paleo for health including mental health. She also provides a positive reference to Whole30 as a good protocol to follow.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-19, 14:35

BF:

ADHD was also mentioned. This difficulty is very wide spread now, and while diet can and is a driver, this issue also has hereditary possibilities.

Dr Daniel Amen has a special focus on ADD and ADHD. In his books he recommends a lower carb diet with a couple notes One , if a person struggles with low seatonin, low carbs can make this worse. Two, chick peas can be benificial. Overall, he cautions against eating lots of legumes.

He was the first I knew of that linked diet to mental function. Though nutrition is not his primary focus of study, he is a strong advocate of using non-pharmaceuticul options first, and carefully identifying the many purmutations of ADD before recommending diet, Otc supplements and exercise.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-19, 10:30

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I feel Dr. Amen is anti-medication, which I don't think is all that helpful for people with ADHD. Nobody needs to feel guilty for taking medications that help them. And I think that medication is very, very helpful for most people with ADHD. So I'm not a fan of his general approach for those reasons.

Still, based on my own experiences, I've begun saying that I think a low (or potentially moderate carbohydrate, say up to about 100g/day) diet is the first line of defense for people with ADHD.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-19, 11:08

BF:

If you read his books, he is NOT antimedication. NOT AT ALL. Rather he values the non medication methods as a first option . Then try the drugs.

Last edited by Kristine : Fri, Oct-04-19 at 21:37. Reason: member requested
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-19, 10:39

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Luckily in the states I've lived in, they just follow the federal regulations which means going in every three months for a Rx renewal, not every month. It's unfortunate that your doctor requires monthly and other testing. Maybe it's time for a new doctor, because that's all really unnecessary!

But there can be challenges everywhere. I did have a bad experience at a pharmacy here once, where the pharmacist was trying to get me to tell them why I needed the prescription--which is not required by federal or state law. I just kept telling them I needed it because my doctor prescribed it and that was all they needed to know. They ended up yelling at me about it loud enough for everyone else in line to hear. I almost filed a complaint with the state pharmacy board and in retrospect, I should have.