Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 20:46

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 122/109/110 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 108%
Smile Cheese Danish

Hi everyone,
This is by far the best 'Cheese Danish' recipe I've tasted. So easy to make! Not to mention delicious

Cheese Danish

List of Ingredients

Pastry portion:
3 eggs - separated (reserve 1/2 egg yolk for filling)
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar (stiffens the egg whites)
1/4 cup splenda - or your choice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons ricotta cheese

Filling:
4 ounces cream cheese (125 g)
1/2 egg yolk - reserved from pastry
1/4 cup splenda
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Recipe

Pastry:
Separate eggs. Reserve approximately 1/2 a yolk for the filling. Then whip the whites until very stiff with the cream of tartar. Mix the remaining yolks, cinnamon, ricotta cheese, and sweetener until smooth. Fold yolk mixture into beaten whites and portion into 6 mounds onto a buttered cookie sheet. After mounding onto the cookie sheet, make an indentation in the top of each roll to hold the filling.

Filling:
Microwave cream cheese until soft enough to stir into a smooth pasty consistency. Add the remaining ingredients to the cream cheese and stir until smooth. Fill each Roll on the cookie sheet with the filling. Bake for 40 minutes in a 300 degree oven. Bake until golden.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Serving Size : 6

Happy Low Carbing

Last edited by rose7 : Wed, Jan-28-04 at 20:48.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 12:25
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

I made these last week from someone else's variation of this recipe, which added 3/4 scoop vanilla whey protein to the pastry batter along with the egg yolks & ricotta. They were really delicious -- the World's Pickiest Husband approved wholeheartedly and said I needed to make another batch. It's amazing how pastry-ish the pastry part was! I was a little skeptical about these before I made them, but this is one of the more successful dessert/breakfast recipes I've tried (and that's saying something).
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 16:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Try adding a touch of cinnamon

I make some similiar using Doreen's multi-grain revolution buns, but I add a little "cinnamon".

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...hlight=cinnamon
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 09:06
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

I made some of the Cheese Danish's today and let me just say, OH MY GOD HOW YUMMY!

I have been craving for something like this for so long. I can't believe how good it is and it even looks like bread.

I'm so hooked. I made 6 and I think I may just eat them all today. I'll have to make more.

OH YUMMY!

Bravo to the recipe maker!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 22:21

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 122/109/110 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 108%
Cool

Hi folks,
I'm glad someone has tried this recipe besides me!
Lol Atlee, I'm totally with you. I've failed so many recipes-- including LC cheesecake . But these, I was successful on my first try! I'm glad your DH (and others who posted here) enjoyed them . I too was skeptical at first, but I was really craving a cheese danish cuz they're my *favorite* pastry. I used to eat the regular kind on occassion and was happy to have found this recipe. Cheers!

Rose
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 01:09

Stats: 359/266/174 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I tried these and have been enjoying them for over a week now for breakfast. They are really good!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 14:09
Registered Member

Stats: 198/147/130 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 75%

Alright. I'm going to sound stupid here with these two questions but keep in mind I hardly ever cooked until beginning this lifestyle.

1) Easy way to separate eggs?

2) Cream of tartar? Er? Where exactly in the grocer am I looking to buy this?

3) How many carbs per Danish does this yield? ( I see servings = 6 danish. I'm assuming serving size = 1 danish).
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 16:37

Stats: 160/135/125 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress:

Changeup,

The way I separate eggs is kind of "icky" but it gets the job done. Break the egg into your hand and let the white run through your fingers into a bowl. Sometimes you have to kind of pinch the white off below your hand.

Cream of tartar is found around the spices.

And, I put the recipe into my Mastercook software and got 4 carbs and 1 fiber for the whole recipe. I don't think it attributed any carbs to the eggs or Splenda, but that would only add a few. All in all, this looks like a great low-carb treat.

Sheryl
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 14:31

Plan: South Beachish
Stats: 279.8/263.6/150 Female 5'3"
BF:Ho/Ly/Crap!
Progress: 12%

This looks really good, I will have to give it a try. I miss "pastry" type dishes..sniff sniff..maybe this will help with the cravings.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 07:47

Stats: 135/129.5/120 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 37%

I finally tried this recipe, and they are SO GOOD! The "pastry" part has the texture of that really cheap soft (yummy) white bread, but a nice cinnamon/pastry taste. YUMMY! I need to make more. Hehe.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 08:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 286/268.5/145 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 12%

Okay, I'm sold. I'll be making this over the week-end. Yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! peg
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 09:41

Stats: 135/129.5/120 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Oh, and mine were only in the oven around 30 min -- I tried to judge how well it was done by the firmness of the egg whites -- didn't want them to get crunchy or anything. Also, I wasn't sure what the egg yolk thing was all about, so I used two yolks in the pastry and one yolk in the cream cheese, so there wouldn't be any waste. Turned out great!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 15:46

Stats: 199/177/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

OK Ladies, I'm sold. I'm going to make a batch of these tonight for my husband. Do they keep well ? Are they good if you eat them the next morning ?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 20:16

Stats: 255/222/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%

Is it me or is there no carb count listed there? What's the net carbs per serving?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 20:30
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The pastry recipe is almost exactly like the origional revolution rolls except it uses riccota instead of cottage cheese and cinnimon. I may have to try this though as the rolls turned out interesting