Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-09, 08:52

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%
Default low-carbing with morning sickness

i know there's another thread discussing morning sickness on here, and the one person that asked the same question i'm asking didn't get a response, so i thought a new thread might kick up some interest.

8 years ago when i had my twins, i gave up low-carbing entirely because i didn't think it would be compatible with pregnancy. i swore to myself i would only gain 20lbs, that's it, no more. and by the first 18 weeks, i had gained about 8lbs. that's when the doctors realized i was having twins, that's when everyone freaked out and said "you're not even on the chart yet for weight gain." they kept a VERY close eye on me and the babies, checking my blood chemistry and their growth rate, and never said a word to me about how much weight i was gaining. over the next 20 weeks, i gained 70lbs. the lizards were born perfectly healthy, 6lbs 10oz and 6lbs 5oz, and if you list off every possible complication that can accompany a multiple pregnancy, i didn't have any of them.

this time around, things are a little different. i'm much heavier now than i was when i got pregnant with the lizards, so my intent is to keep my weight as steady as possible while still making sure this one has enough of whatever it needs to grow and develop. i'd told myself i was going to stick to low-carb this time around, if not OWL levels, then at least maintenance and call it "controlled carb".

and of course, morning sickness is kicking in with a vengeance. the only thing that seems to not annoy my stomach even more, much less make it feel any better, has been high-carb foods... graham crackers, sugar cookies, animal crackers, bagels. the best thing i've eaten in the last 2 weeks has been a grilled cheese sandwich.

so has anyone managed to survive morning sickness while sticking to low-carb? and how did you do it? or did you just throw everything to the wind and say "low-carb can come back when my stomach can handle it again"?
Sponsored Links