Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-22-04, 15:17

Plan: the zone
Stats: 132/128/117 Female 5'4 1/2
BF:
Progress:
Default Ladies, help! Problems are getting worse!

Hey ladies-
I have never posted in this forum before but after having several problems that my doctor insists she can't help me with, i am turning to you all in hopes that your personal experiences can possibly shed light on my issues.

Firstly, I was diagnosed with PCOS a month and a half ago after putting on 10 unexplainable pounds, a face full of acne, hair loss, close to nonexistant periods, and thick, coarse, dark hair on my face,stomach,chest,legs,arms ..well EVERYWHERE...for the past yr!

I realized that when I ate low carb or cut back on sugar, the next day i would lose less hair in the shower and my skin would look clearer..psychological, maybe, but there was a noticeable difference. That led me to believe i might have PCOS so i went to my endo and after seeing my elevated FH/LSH level and slightly elevated testoterone i was diagnosed.. she gave me 500 mg ER metformin just once a day.

The first month i took it in conjunction with a lc diet, I noticed immediete changes. Close to no hair was falling out in the shower and my skin was clear. Plus, i lost about 5 lbs. I knew it was working.

HOWEVER.... now for the past week, 2 things have changed: 1)i am exercising a lot more now and more intensley 2)i have slipped a little on my diet because i am home for the holidays (it's hard to be so strict)..So- all of my problems have come back in FULL FORCE.. my hair shed has doubled and my weight has ballooned back up plus more..plus, i havent had my period this month.. i can't imagine a little daily cookie or some nuts can have this sort of effect on me. I am stlil taking the metformin as well...my doctor even said that you don't need to be 100% strict on your diet to see your symptoms get better..several successful patients of PCOS eat ww breads, pastas, fruits, etc... so i know the diet can't be the culprit but it's the only thing except the intense exercise that has changed...

What could it be?? I am soo worrried and desperate at this point
Sponsored Links