Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 00:43

Plan: Atkins/CKD?
Stats: 183/160/130 Female 5'5"
BF:36%/30??/15-18%
Progress: 43%
Default SkinnySoon's Torture Chamber

.... I don't know what gave me the idea for that title, but I'll keep it for now.

If you haven't figured it out by now.... I can be VERY long winded.

I wanted to post a typical week's training cycle to see where I can improve... or what diet would work best for accomplishing my goals. I may even toss this workout out the window and start off fresh, but I figured that I'd post it here to show you what a normal workout is like for me. I've been working out the same... or very similiar, for most of my life. (except when I took about 2 1/2 years off from the gym)

I'm currently not working... (or working from home), so I can make up my own schedule most of the time, but I can only get to the gym once a day. The workout days have changed according to my life at the time, but my current routine is as follows:

I've always preferred to work out one bodypart at a time, so each part has ample time to recuperate before hitting it again.

Lifting usually takes 30-60 minutes, depending on what bodypart I'm training and how much rest it needs between sets. I typically do 3 sets per exercise... the 1st set 15 reps for an intensity of about an 8, then the last 2 sets for 8-10 reps to failure, intensity of 10.

TUES-Legs
Leg Press
Extensions
Hamstring Isolator
Abduction/Adduction (superset)
1 hour of mixed cardio

WED-Back
Lat Pulldowns
Cable Rows
Lower Extensions
1 hour of mixed cardio

THURS-Chest
Flat Dumbell Presses
Incline Press (machine)
Cable Flyes and/or Machine Flyes
Shoulder Press
1 hour of mixed cardio

FRI-Bi/Tri (usually superset some of these together)
(shoulder injury keeps me doing mostly bi-lateral exercises...unless I'm feeling "solid")
Barbell Curls or Dumbell Curls
Cable Curls
Tricep Overhead Presses
Tricep Extensions
1 hour of mixed cardio

SAT/SUN/MON OFF (works with my personal schedule well)

Cardio usually consists of non-impact activities....ususally bike or elliptical. I recently tried to add a run/walk program so I could increase the intensity of my cardio training, but I had to cut it out temporarily. (see below) I was staying in my "fat burning" HR zone, but I wanted to start burning more calories to bump my weight loss endevors. (I'd really like to be able to run because I'd like to start doing outdoor activities instead of relying on the gym for exercise)

I used to follow all my workouts with 12 minutes of abs and another 15 minutes of stretching... but I haven't been doing either lately.

Current Injuries
My R knee has been giving me alot of problems over the last 2 years... and it's progressively gotten alot worse recently. After a recent visit my my chiropractor (who is much more skilled then his title), I think we might have figured out the source of my problem (my feet/gait). Hopefully it's no too late to make a difference in the injuries that I've accumulated because of it. **crossing fingers**

I cannot even workout legs at all right now... without substancial pain, so I've been either skipping a day, or doing just cardio on leg days. I know that my quads are weak in comparison to my hamstrings and I need to strengthen them, but I cannot do anything without pain right now. Your hamstrings are supposed to be weaker than your quads... but mine are almost equal, if not stronger. (another cause of my knee pain)

I thought the pain was gone for a little while, so I started a run/walk program so I could build up some intensity in my cardio routines.... to bump up my workout a notch. For a while, I was okay, but then the pain returned....and got worse. Any type of repetitive motion impact-related activities cause pain. (including walking)

I started to wear inserts in my shoes again (a few days ago), and I decided to take this week off from all cardio. If I'm lucky, the inserts might correct the source of my knee troubles and I'll be able to start non-impact cardio again next week. If that goes pain-free, then I will try to do my run/walk program again.

So.... nursing injuries is cutting back on my workout routine, but I'm making sure to get into the gym a minimum of 3-4 days a week and doing whatever I can that does not cause pain.

I worked out through almost a year of shoulder pain that mysteriously disappeared... and I hope my knee will do the same thing, even though it's been almost 2 years to get this bad.

Pre-existing injuries.... whether currently causing problems or not:
Low Back: Had a bilateral microdisectomy of L4-L5 and L5-S1 in 2001 due to severly herniated disks. Still have "some" pain on occasion, but no more sciatica. Originally started lifting regularly (again) in 1995 as physical therapy for back. (first started lifting when I was 14, several years earlier)
Shoulders: Dislocated both shoulders (remained in socket... but out of alignment), in 1997, and have had countless problems with my L shoulder since... but not always.
Knees: Pain in R knee for the last 2 years.... coming and going frequently, and most recently too painful to train or do cardio.

WHEW.... that's alot of history. ...but I felt it needed to be included so I find the best routine that will fit into my life.
Sponsored Links