Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 08:47
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Plan: Keto Clarity & Atkins
Stats: 262.5/257.6/180 Male 5'-11"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Don't Agree with everything ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZ
Somebody mentioned soy and protein powders. Soy has been found to be unhealthful, and protein powders are processed junk. Soy links:

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/index.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/myths_t...truths_soy.html

Howard

Howard,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts; yes, I mentioned soy. I also mentioned SMALL quantites as large amounts of soy in the diet can cause impairment with the thyroid gland.

As for whey protein isloates, I will disagree with you. I lost my father-in-law and mother-in-law to cancer and both of my parents have managed to survive cancer. They all were health-concious eaters.

I personally cannot eat a lot of meat - I ate tons when I first started Atkins. This is MY choice and MY opinion about whey protein isolates.

Will I die of cancer before I'm 60? My genetics say YES, very likely; however, I have to male choices that work for me. I want to enjoy my life and be as healthy as possible. I'm losing weight, feel great and can see 178 lbs as an attainable goal for the first time in my life.

I'm willing to take my chances with "processed junk" for now. I will read your links; I think having information is very useful in making good decisions.

I ate free-range as a child as I was raised on a farm. My parents eat free-range and have for ALL of their 76 years - they still got cancer.

My Dad is a type II diabetic because he likes sweets; my Mom does not like sweets so there were very few in the house.

There are no GUARANTEES - you have to make choices in life.

BTW, we have free range meats and eggs available -I will agree that TASTE ALONE is a huge motivator - if the kids and family will eat them then I'm happy!

Our plan is to move away from commercially processed meats - see, we can agree on something!

Tom.