Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 02:43
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%
Default Coconut Slice – an Aussie favourite!

After watching my DH devour a coconut slice the other day I decided to see if I could make a low carb version. I used a Women’s Weekly recipe to get the general idea and then just adapted it to make it low carb.

The base is a modified pie tart recipe that I’ve seen somewhere and works well for this application. The first time I made this I baked it in a lamington pan and got 10 good sized pieces. This time I made individual tartlets using muffin pans, which I prefer because I didn’t have to use as much jam. By my calculations each tart comes in at about just over 2g carbs. Have a look at them here: -
http://zgirl.myphotos.cc/macaroons.jpg

Coconut Slice/Tartlets
Makes 10

Base
50g butter
50g cream cheese
1 cup almond meal
½ tsp baking powder
1 egg
12 Splenda tabs, crushed
¼ to 1/3 cup Cottee’s sugar free strawberry jam
Topping
2 cups unsweetened coconut
2 eggs
1½ tsp sucaryl liquid sweetener (or other sweetener equiv to 3 tbsp sugar)

Cream butter, philly cheese and Splenda then add egg and beat until smooth and creamy. Stir in baking powder and almond meal in two batches. Divide mixture between 10 greased muffin pans and spread to cover the base of each pan (mixture is very sticky so I just used a slightly wet finger to do this). Next drop a glob of jam onto each base and spread out a little. Top with coconut mixture and press down slightly to stop it from being too crumbly when cooked. Bake for approx 20 mins at 180C (slightly lower for fan forced oven). Cool on wire rack. Store in fridge. Topping : Fold coconut into lightly beaten eggs and sweetener.
Note: This recipe may not be sweet enough for other people’s tastes. On my first attempt I used twice as much sweetener but found it way too sweet. It comes down to personal taste….I just can’t handle overly sweet things anymore. Next time I make these I’m going to use half coconut and half almond meal in the topping and use apricot jam instead of strawberry.
Sponsored Links