Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 02:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/169/160 Male 5'11'
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Dieter Sues Atkins Estate and Company

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/27/n...l/27atkins.html
Quote:
By MARIAN BURROS

Published: May 27, 2004

53-year-old man sued the estate of Dr. Robert C. Atkins and the company that promotes his diet yesterday. The suit says following the Atkins diet for two years raised the man's cholesterol so much that his arteries became clogged and required a medical procedure to open them.

The suit is apparently the first to involve the diet, the most prominent and controversial low-carbohydrate regimen and the one most associated with assertions that followers could eat all the red meat and saturated fat they wanted and still lose weight.

The plaintiff, Jody Gorran, who is being assisted by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, an advocacy group that supports a vegan diet, is seeking $28,000 in damages. Mr. Gorran said he was using the suit to tell other people about the dangers of the diet and to have its promoters include warnings in books, other products and Web sites.

Mr. Gorran, of Delray Beach, Fla., said that in 2001, when his weight crept up to 148 from 140 he turned to the diet, specifically, the 1999 edition of "Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution." After two months he said, his cholesterol shot from 146, well within the normal range, to 230, considered in the hazardous range.

In October 2003, after three episodes of chest pain, doctors found that Mr. Gorran had a 99 percent blockage in a major artery and performed angioplasty and inserted a stent to keep it open. Before starting the diet, he said, tests showed that his arteries were clear.

In responding to a request for comment, a representative for Atkins Nutritionals and the estate of Dr. Atkins said they stood by "the science that has repeatedly reaffirmed the safety and health benefits of Atkins."

Speaking of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Nutrition, the statement says that the organization, "a well-known vegan and animal rights group, has a long history of initiating these kinds of scare tactics that are designed to convince the American public to stop eating animal protein of any sort."

Dr. Frank M. Sacks, a professor of cardiovascular disease prevention at the Harvard School of Public Health who is a critic of the diet and who looked at Mr. Gorran's medical records at the request of The New York Times, said he was not surprised by the increase in cholesterol.

"It could happen in two weeks," Dr. Sacks said. "There are definitely people that happens to, though it is not a majority."

The American Heart Association said it would not comment on the suit, but issued a statement saying, "Eating large amounts of high-fat foods for a sustained period raises the risk of coronary heart disease, diabetes, stroke and several types of cancer."

Mr. Gorran said in his suit that after his cholesterol had increased he was encouraged to continue the plan by a passage in the book that acknowledged that cholesterol would increase for about one in three dieters. The book says those people should "eat only the lean proteins - turkey roll, skinless chicken breast, fish, farmer cheese, lean cuts of meat and so on - but do not increase your carbohydrate intake more than 5 grams. However, if you are not happy on the low-fat version of the diet or get hungry, or don't feel well on it, then don't bother with it; go back to the regular Atkins diet that you enjoyed more."

"I contend there ought to be a warning on this diet," Mr. Gorran said in a telephone interview from Florida, where he filed the suit. "I'm seeking an injunction to prevent them from selling their products, books, or having their Web site without a warning, because they know one-third of the people on the diet will have what Atkins referred to as 'less favorable cholesterol.' "

Within two months after going off the Atkins diet, where his favorite foods were cheese every day and cheesecake three times a week, his cholesterol dropped to 146.

Mr. Gorran, a wealthy owner of a manufacturer of solar panels for swimming pools, said he enlisted the physicians' organization "because they are familiar with publicity.''

"The whole thing is based on getting the word out,'' he said. "Even if the suit never gets anywhere, we'll be out there and people will start to think."

A law professor who read the complaint said he did not think that it would get anywhere.

"The lawsuit has two serious shortcomings from the legal point of view," said the professor, Benjamin Zipursky, who teaches torts and product liability law, said. "Tort law generally does not permit a cause of action or lawsuit based on bad theories put out in a book, and most courts would recognize a valid First Amendment defense here. I would be surprised if the case were not eventually dismissed before getting to a jury."

Professor Zipursky said that the suit was "chock-full of information about criticism of the Atkins diet.''

"So it really reads as if it were done by someone who is doing it for reasons of publicity rather than private gain,'' he added. "Not only is each claim for relief less than $15,000, it does not ask for punitive damages, which I think is appropriate and a sign of their seriousness."

The suit is not the first against a diet book. In 1989, a suit against the publisher of "The Last Chance Diet," by Robert Linn, a doctor of osteopathy, said someone died following the liquid protein diet in the book. A judge threw out the suit.

if "journalists'" know that this is a lame attempt to draw some negative publicity towards atkins why do they fall into the trap? with this particular author i know the answer. if this gets widely reported it's plain ridiculous!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 05:51
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Its a BS publicity thing by PCRM and now my email box is filled with stupid news alerts about this nonsense!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 06:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I don't believe a word of it. The suit should be dismiss if it really exists.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 06:20
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Well, for a start how can anyone PROVE this guy has been on the Atkins diet anyhow and secondly - who knows if he's been doing it properly??

I'm sorry folks, no offence intended - but the "lets sue everyone" mentality in the US SUCKS!! If that kind of law suit was presented in the UK it'd be laughed out of court!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 01:40
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadefox26
Well, for a start how can anyone PROVE this guy has been on the Atkins diet anyhow and secondly - who knows if he's been doing it properly??

I'm sorry folks, no offence intended - but the "lets sue everyone" mentality in the US SUCKS!! If that kind of law suit was presented in the UK it'd be laughed out of court!!

You're totally right. There are so many factors to consider that makes blaming Atkins for his CHD *ridiculous*.

Then again, that's not the point. Gorran knows he will lose. PCRM (PeTA) does as well. He does/they do not care. I am convinced he is an animal rights activist participating in one of yet another of PeTAs ridiculous PR stunts. PeTA knows that millions of Americans will see the headline "MAN SUFFERS CHD, SUES ATKINS" and that's all they are after. It's a propaganda campaign. They want to leave the impression that eating animal products is dangerous to humans and should be minimized or avoided all together. This is because they are animal rights extremists...a bunch of total nutters. They have ALREADY won as far as they're concerned.

Is it stupid? Yes, just like every other PeTA PR stunt it is indeed very very stupid. Does it work? Unfortunately it does.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 10:03

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Is it stupid? Yes, just like every other PeTA PR stunt it is indeed very very stupid. Does it work? Unfortunately it does.

sadly you are right about this. I've already heard from 3 or 4 people at work who only saw the headline and who have no idea who PCRM is. They take it at face value, they actually believe this guy did have heart problems that could be blamed on Atkins.

Oh well, not much I can do. I try to explain the facts to my colleagues but most of them aren't interested enough to lreally listen.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 13:12

Plan: EFGT/Nourishing Trads
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 57%

And another thing ....!

Another low carbing friend of mine pointed out that in the Daily Mirror today, Mr Gorran said that as he liked cheese, he ate cheesecake three times a day!

As my friend says "That ain't Atkins!"
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 14:01

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy131
And another thing ....!

Another low carbing friend of mine pointed out that in the Daily Mirror today, Mr Gorran said that as he liked cheese, he ate cheesecake three times a day!

As my friend says "That ain't Atkins!"

Interesting how what Mr. Gorran claims exactly is already being distorted. Initially, when the report came out it was reported that Mr. Gorran supposedly ate cheesecake 3 times a week, now it's up to 3 times a day.
Something I wonder about is that with 8 pounds to lose, did Mr. Gorran stay on Atkins for the entire 2 years or was it on again/off again as his weight went up and down?
Doing low carb for a few weeks to a few months and then returning to your old eating habits (or mistakenly keeping the high fat intake and also adding in a high carb intake) until your weight starts to creep up again and then returning to induction over and over would likely give the results reported here.
I seriously doubt we'll ever know the whole (unadulterated by the media) story here.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 06:30

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

My thoughts: If he was on the diet for two years, even tho his cholesterol #'s went up to "dangerous" levels, then it sounds to me like he willingly ignored the blood levels, so he's responsible, not Atkins Inc. If he wasn't on the diet for that two year period, then how can he blame it on the plan?

As others have said, this is just PCRM making noise. It won't hold up in court....or in the minds of most intelligent people.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 06:44
Renovation Cub

Plan: LC
Stats: 330/286/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 34%

This guy popped up a while ago in relation to the PCRM, one of the few they tried to use to demonstrate how bad LC is. Personally, the association with PCRM screams one thing to me. This guy is a liar, and I doubt he was even on a LC plan. I'd have to say I'm 99% convinced he is a stooge for the PCRM and I hope they both get caught in a big lie and someone goes to jail. I could be wrong, but it is just too fishy to ignore.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 07:16

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yeah. I believe this is the same poor guy that Barnard and his crackpots tried to exploit for his 'impotency' problems a while back.

10 million people on Atkins, and all they can find is this one half-baked publicity stunt
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 07:19

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

At least they printed the Atkins comments including the description of PCRM as a vegan group out to convince everyone not to eat meat of any kind. I felt the article was pretty balanced. And it ended well stating that the suit was probably done for publicity.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 08:06

Stats: 245/195/170 Male 5 10
BF:
Progress: 67%

Why hasn't Veronica Atkins sued these the Dr. in Nebraska and others for using false pretenses to get Dr. A's medical records and then the people that released his death weight?

Agreed that this suit is nonsense. From The Scotsman:

Lawsuit Seeks Block on Atkins Diet

By Mark Sage, PA News, in New York

A businessman is suing the estate of the late diet guru Dr Robert Atkins, claiming that the popular eating plan clogged his arteries and left him needing surgery.

Jody Gorran claimed in a lawsuit that his cholesterol level rocketed after going on the high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet.

After following the plan for two years, the 53-year-old from Florida, needed surgery to open a clogged artery.

Atkins Nutritionals hit back at the lawsuit saying science “has repeatedly reaffirmed the safety and health benefits of Atkins”.

It claimed that the suit was a publicity stunt because Mr Gorran is backed by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, which promotes a vegan diet.

Under the Atkins plan, dieters are able to eat meat and other proteins but cut out carbohydrates. Critics claim that a diet rich in red meat can cause cholesterol levels to soar.

Mr Gorran, a wealthy owner of a manufacturer of solar panels for swimming pools, claimed in his lawsuit that his own cholesterol shot from 146, within the normal range, to a dangerous 230 while he was on the diet.

In October 2003, after suffering chest pains, doctors found one of his major arteries was almost totally blocked.

Surgeons performed an angioplasty and inserted a stent to keep the artery open.

Mr Gorran, of Delray Beach, claims that before he went on the diet tests had shown that his arteries were clear.

His lawsuit, lodged yesterday, seeks over £15,000 and an injunction on Atkins Nutritionals promoting the diet.

Mr Gorran was not immediately available for comment.

But he told the New York Times: “I contend there ought to be a warning on this diet.

“I’m seeking an injunction to prevent them from selling their products, books, or having their Web site without a warning.”

He admitted that he was seeking publicity: “The whole thing is based on getting the word out.

“Even if the suit never gets anywhere, we’ll be out there and people will start to think,” he said.

Atkins Nutritionals said in a statement that the Physicians Committee for Responsible Nutrition was “a well-known vegan and animal rights group, (which) has a long history of initiating these kinds of scare tactics that are designed to convince the American public to stop eating animal protein of any sort”.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 09:03

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%
Thumbs down

"Mr Gorran, of Delray Beach, claims that before he went on the diet tests had shown that his arteries were clear."

Yeah, how many people even bother getting lipid tests before starting Atkins, let alone pay for test to show that your arteries are clear. It's too perfect to believe.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 21:22
There and Back Again

Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Lightbulb Artery blockage...

If I'm not mistaken, I was thinking that one reason of artery blockage could actually be due to the corrective (positive) effects of Atkins... in that areteries that may already have some hardening have "plaque" that sticks to the sides of the walls of the arteries.

As the arteries start to clear, it also could mean that that plaque is loosened and it is that plaque that will block an artery and could cause a heart-attack.

Cholesterol alone is not always an indicator of heart disease... certainly triglycerides are a more effective indicator as well as the particle size of the cholesterol and of course the HDL/LDL ratio. This guy might have "clear" arteries but it doesn't mean they were "optimal" arteries.

The second point is that there are people who genetically have issues with cholesterol... Atkins in it's base form doesn't necessarily work for anyone... although I have a feeling that the majority of folks do well with it.

BUT, Dr. Atkins has always encouraged people to do bloodwork and to follow the diet under the GUIDANCE of a physician... it's always at one's own risk and I'm certain that the Atkins companies are very careful in the way they have promoted the diet and the book just to avoid these sorts of lawsuits.