Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-27-07, 15:26
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Default Excitotoxins and Opioids

I was just discussing this topic a bit in the Paleo-cave area, but they decided it was inappropriate for some reason, so I am moving it here.

I have come across claims many times about some foods affecting the brain directly. The claims I want to look at more closely are:
  • casomorphins from casein cause dairy to be pleasureful and addictive
  • glutamates - but only those from MSG and whey protein powder - cause brain effects
  • aspartate has effects like glutamate, but if eaten as aspartame (not from meat, fish, etc.)
There are even claims that these processed foods cause disease in humans (MS, ALS, etc.).

I am also interested in:
  • the drug-like effects of many foods
  • whether the source truly makes a difference
  • (i.e., glutamates from fermented foods, seaweed)
  • whether quantity makes a difference

This is very complicated stuff and there are a lot of unsubstantiated claims out there on various sites.

I don't have an agenda here; I'm just curious. Is food a drug? Or is it only some foods? Is it only processed foods? Is it bad to eat foods that affect the brain?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-27-07, 15:35
Don't Call Me Sugar

First of all, it looks like there are glutamates, and then there are "free glutamates." Glutamates bound into a protein are not "free," but they can be freed by two means - heat (hydrolization) or enzymes (fermentation). Examples are making fish sauce out of fish, grilling meats, or making whey protein out of milk. The "umami" taste, our fifth taste (after salty, sweet, sour, and bitter) is the detection of these free amino acids.
MSG, monosodium glutamate, is glutamate bound with sodium, and the body breaks that apart in digestion.

http://www.sci-toys.com/ingredients/msg.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamate
http://www.smart-drugs.net/ias-excitotoxins.htm
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-27-07, 20:20

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Ysabella,
Read the book Crazy Makers by Carol Simontacchi and Excitotoxins – The Taste that Kills – How Aspartame and
Monosodium Glutamate Damage Our Health
Russell Blaylock, M.D.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-27-07, 21:41
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I had never heard about the fifth taste.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-28-07, 07:04
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Apparently, concentrated tomato products (like ketchup) and parmesan cheese are examples of foods high in glutamates. That explains a lot about my condiment habits.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-28-07, 15:19
Don't Call Me Sugar

Yes, that's right, and I think it is free glutamates that provide the taste. Fish sauce, seaweed, tomatoes, parmesan, a lot of fermented foods have free glutamates. The fermentation process breaks the proteins into the amino acids.

http://www.umamiinfo.com/what_exactly_is_umami?/

Ah, there are more components to umami: insosinate and guanylate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disodium_inosinate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disodium_guanylate

Nice 'world map of umami' on this page:
http://www.umamiinfo.com/umami-rich_food/

And here's an interesting PDF about studying the taste receptors:

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/reprint/130/4/931S.pdf

Quote:
The umami substances are originally acids; hence, at neutral pH, they exist in the salt form. Usually they are sodium
salts, i.e., monosodium glutamate, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate. Thus, the umami substances contain the
sodium ion. The first electrophysiologic studies on reception of the umami substances were conducted with rats (Sato et al. 1967) and cats (Adachi et al. 1967) In these animals, single fibers of the chorda tympani nerve responded to MSG, but also to NaCl. Hence the response to MSG was considered to be related to the salt response.

In humans, a remarkable synergism exists between MSG and IMP or GMP (Kuninaka 1967). For example, 0.5 mmol/L GMP alone or 1.5 mmol/L MSG alone elicits practically no taste, but a mixture of GMP and MSG at these concentrations elicits a strong umami taste. This remarkable synergism was not seen in rats or cats. In rats, the synergism was seen in sucrose-sensitive fibers (Sato et al. 1967). Thus the responses to umami substances were related to responses to both NaCl and sucrose; the umami substances did not elicit unique responses independently of the four basic tastes in rats or cats.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-28-07, 15:53
Don't Call Me Sugar

Ooh, neat, food history bit. Probably the oldest umami food of humans is rotted fish - fish sauce! - absolutely full of free glutamates. Nuoc mam, nam pla, Worcestershire sauce (a Western version of an Eastern food, using fermented anchovies) - but it was a Western food too, popular with the Romans:

Quote:
In the Greek and Roman civilizations of antiquity, fish sauce was widely used as a seasoning. Like wine and edible oil, it was an important commodity. Trade in fish sauce used as a seasoning dates back to around the seventh century BC.

The ruins of many large fish-pickling factories have been unearthed along the Mediterranean coastline. There were more than one hundred factories, and the fish sauce was shipped in tall vessels called amphorae. Archaeological finds have unveiled amphorae inscribed with details of the product´s grade, its manufacturer and the ingredients used. A seventh century list of seasonings names this fish sauce "Garum". Records dating back to the year 968 tell us that the Byzantine Emperor Nikephoros II entertained Pope Otto I´s messenger with roast lamb dressed with onion, leek and Garum. In the eleventh century, however, Garum disappeared from the European table. The recipe, however, was handed down, and Garum came to be viewed in some monasteries as a "secret medicine" with an appetite-enhancing effect. Salty fish sauce can thus lay claim to more than 2,500 years of history. This makes it the oldest umami seasoning in the world.

And a little chart:

Quote:
Free Glutamate in Seasonings
mg/100g
Anchovy sauce 630
Bovril 498
Oyster sauce 900
Soy sauce 782
Nam pra (fish sauce) 950

http://www.glutamate.org/media/A_na...art_of_food.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 12:31

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 230/150/165 Female 69 inches
BF:22% (calipers)
Progress: 123%

Interesting stuff, Ysabella. I think that Vegemite/Marmite, the savoury yeast spreads loved in NZ and Australia, are also packed full of glutamates.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 19:34
Don't Call Me Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle H
Interesting stuff, Ysabella. I think that Vegemite/Marmite, the savoury yeast spreads loved in NZ and Australia, are also packed full of glutamates.

Absolutely. The Wikipedia page for Monosodium Glutamate has this chart:

Quote:
Food Free glutamate (mg/100g) - Bound glutamate (mg/100g)
  • Chinese soy sauce 1090
  • Japanese soy sauce 782
  • parmesan cheese 1200 - 9847
  • tomatoes 140 - 238
  • peas 200 - 5583
  • corn 130 - 1765
  • cow milk 2 - 819
  • human milk 22 - 229
  • eggs 23 - 1583
  • chicken 44 - 3309
  • duck 69 - 3636
  • beef 33 - 2846
  • pork 23 - 2325
  • salmon 20 - 2216
  • vegemite 1431
  • marmite 1960

That's plenty, alright!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 19:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

Does anyone know what the 'bound' glutamate in foods is bound to? I mean in MSG it's bound to sodium. Is it also sodium in food?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 14:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Explains my love of fish sauce. It always gives a meaty body to everything.

My philosophy is that we generally have a biological reason for being attracted to foods, that there is something intrisically good about foods we're attracted to in settings that ancient man was in. For instance, carbs and sugars were attractive for the purpose of storing fat. Fat is attractive as an energy source too. Meat because of it's high protein and energy content. Chocolate... well, all those flavinoids and stuff they're finding out now.

But because we have easy access to this stuff now, we're getting far more of those things and our bodies were not built to handle them in those quantitites.

Keep digging! This is interesting stuff.

I definitely have a pleasurable relaxation after eating something starchy. Unfortunately it also comes with a desire to repeat.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, May-29-07 at 14:05.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 19:11

Plan: Lo-carb. IF 20/4. CKD
Stats: 195/145/155 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 125%

Very Interesting thread. I find that I crave heavy cream. Though I wonder if I just like the "full" feeling I get from it. With food cravings, is it a true physical symptom or more psychological? So called "comfort foods" would be a good example. Then you have to figure in Nature or Nurture.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 23:25
Don't Call Me Sugar

It's linked by peptide bonds to other amino acids, to form proteins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein

Okay, here's a quiz.

What country eats the most MSG?
(a)Japan
(b)China
(c)Korea
(d)Netherlands
(e)USA
(f)Malaysia
(g)Thailand

Feel free to try to rank them in order, if you like.

click for the answer

(From this interesting doc)
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-30-07, 06:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Okay, now how about the WZ part of the debate? If natural glutamates are okay, how bad is it to shake Accent on your food?

Dr Eades wrote his thoughts on MSG a few months ago.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=535

I have an army buddy who can NOT eat MSG at all. She gets horrible migraines. She has to have MSG-free rations when we're in the field, and the army makes them, so she can't be the only sensitive person.

However - I think it's like a lot of other products out there. If you're sensitive to it, don't eat it. It's not necessarily indicitive that it's dangerous to everyone.

I've never worried about it, especially now that I do most of my own cooking. If I'm eating a food with MSG added, chances are it's loaded with sugar, starch, trans fats or other crap that'll do me more harm than the MSG.

I do have a container of Accent in my cupboard... though I confess, I bought it to see if I could make up for the fact that I just can't quite seem do a great roast beef... or good Asian dishes.

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, May-30-07 at 07:01.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-30-07, 08:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Now, about calling fish sauce "rotted fish" (ahem!) humans LOVE decayed food and eat it all the time, its just we choose which bacteria cause the decay. We do it with milk products (yogurt, cheese, kefir). The chineese do it to fish and eggs and to make soy sauce (and meat). Oh yeah, it used to be the process of making sausage even in the US involved fermentation. If you properly decay fruit you get wine or spirits, grains yeild another type of deliciously intoxicating drink.

I think almost every culture has some form of decayed food they eat.