Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 16:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/145/140
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default I'm loving Vancouver so far...

I did have a question for all of you vancouverites out there.

As I've stated before, I suffer from very reactive hypoglycemia, so I am unable to consume any carbs at all, other than some nuts and vegetables.

This isn't really a problem for me on a daily basis because I've learned how to make foods that fit my lifestyle. The only time this causes problems is when my husband wants to go out to eat. I've found that it's very hard to go out to eat, and make sure that the cook does not put any questionable ingredients on my food. I've tried ordering fish and other types of meats, and even after I've specified that I can't have any types of flours, marinades, or sauces, even close to my meal, at times I've still had bad reactions to the food served.

I've read about a restaurant mentioned on this board called The Fish House. I was wondering if anyone here could recommend restaurants on the area, where I could go out to eat without having to stress about whether or not the waiter has taken my health issues seriously?

My husband and I would love to be able to go out to eat, without my having to stress about how I'm going to feel after eating.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions, so far everyone on this board has given me good advice
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 23:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well, where were you for our Monday night dinner at Stephos on Davie Street? You could have met seven, true blue Vancouver low-carbers!

Generally restaurants that do the basics - Cactus Club has very good steaks, Buffalo Wings and a good dish on the menu now called Wrinkled Beans. They even have a Zone salad. Mongolian Grill type places are good too. You pick your own ingredients and sauces.

There are a gajillion Japanese restaurants too, so sashimi is always a good choice.

For more expensive restaurants, Morton's is fantastic and so is the Cannery. I usually start with a chilled half Dungeness crab and then some fish with vegetables and lemon butter

Any restaurant that wants to keep you as a customer should do what you want. That said, you have to learn how to negotiate through a menu. Many restaurants have protein already coated or sauces with flour or sugar in them that cannot be subtracted. You sometimes have to compromise.

And then of course, there is the Fish House.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 15:56
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thank you....

my husband and I are going to go to the Fish House sometime this next week.

Karen, I just browsed the menu online, and was curious which item on the dinner menu you would recommend, that would be the easiest to prepare with no carbs in it, at all (I can't even eat tomatoes..that's how sensitive I am).

Thank you
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 15:58
Registered Member

BF:
Default oh..

as if I didn't have enough restrictions, I don't handle some dairy products very well, with the exception of cheese, that seems to be fine for me.

Thanks again
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 16:36
Forum Founder

BF:

If you eat butter, any of the simply grilled fish on the fresh sheet with lemon butter or if not, the Tuscan salsa verde which is made from parsely, mint, basil, olive oil, anchovies and capers. Ask for a salad with it and bok choy instead of the peppers, cabbage and buttermilk mashed potatoes.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 17:50
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thank you Karen...you've been a huge help :)

The last question I have is this...(sorry if I'm being a bother)..is the fish grilled on a clean skillet?...I'm so sensitive that if there was even some sort of marinade on something that had been grilled previously, it will make me feel a bit icky.

Thank you
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 09:49
Forum Founder

BF:

On the grill, and the grill is frequently scrubbed down throughout the evening. We don't put other foods where one has just been cooked. That's not a good practice.

Ask for the fish plainly broiled or baked with just salt and pepper.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 20:56
Registered Member

BF:
Default Great..thank you :)

I hope I haven't been too much of a bother with all of my questions, it's just a big weight off of my shoulders when I can sit back and enjoy a meal out with my husband, rather than waiting to see how I will fill after.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 23:08
Forum Founder

BF:

Nope! Not at all!

Most of the staff are pretty well versed in low-carbing. We aim to please!

Karen