Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-09, 08:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Triglyceride Buster

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2...ide-buster.html
Quote:
Two weeks ago, Daniel started with a triglyceride level of 3100 mg/dl, a dangerous level that had potential to damage his pancreas. The inflammatory injury incurred could leave him with type I diabetes and inability to digest foods, since the insulin-producing capacity and the enzyme producing capacity of the pancreas are lost.

Daniel added 3600 mg of omega-3s per day. Within 10 days, his triglycerides dropped nearly 2000 mg to just over 1100 mg/dl--still too high, but an incredible start.

The power of omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil to reduce triglycerides is illustrated most graphically by people with a condition called "familial hypertriglyceridemia" that is responsible for triglyceride levels of 500, 1000, even several thousand milligrams. That's what Daniel has. Given appropriate doses of omega-3s, triglycerides drop hundreds, even thousands, of milligrams.

No question: Omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil are the best tool available for reduction of triglycerides. The effect is dose-dependent, i.e., the more you take, the greater the triglyceride reduction.

How omega-3s exerts this effect is unclear, though there is evidence to suggest that omega-3s suppress several nuclear receptors involved in triglyceride (VLDL) production and increase the expression or activity of the enzyme lipoprotein lipase, an enzyme that clears triglycerides from the blood.

I am continually surprised at the number of people with high triglycerides who are still treated with a fibrate drug, like Tricor, or a statin drug, when fish oil--widely available, essentially free of side-effects, with a proven cardiovascular risk-reducing track record--should clearly be the first choice by a long stretch.

Among its many benefits, omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil also:

Reduce matrix metalloproteinases (MMP)--Two fractions of MMPs, MMP-2 and MMP-9, are inflammatory enzymes present in atherosclerotic plaque that are suspected to trigger plaque "rupture." Omega-3s have been shown to reduce both forms of MMP.

Block uptake of lipids in the artery wall--Suggested by a study in mice.

Modify postprandial responses--In the first few hours after eating (the "postprandial" period), a flood of digestive byproducts of a meal are present in the bloodstream. While research exploring postprandial effects is still in its infancy, it is clear that omega-3 fatty acids have the capacity to favorably modify postprandial patterns. One common surrogate measure for postprandial abnormalities is intermediate-density lipoprotein, or IDL, that we obtain in fasting blood through lipoprotein panels like NMR and VAP. With sufficient omega-3s alone, IDL is completely eliminated.

Unfortunately, most of my colleagues, if they even think to use omega-3s, choose to use the prescription form, Lovaza. Indeed, several representatives from AstraZeneca, the pharmaceutical outfit now distributing this miserably overpriced product, frequently barge their way into my office poking fun at our use of nutritional supplements instead of the prescription Lovaza. "But insurance covers it in most cases!" they plead. "And your patients will know that they're getting the real product, not some fake. And they'll have to take fewer capsules!"

I never use Lovaza to reduce triglycerides, even in familial hypertriglyceridemia--the FDA-approved indication for Lovaza--and have not yet seen any failures, only successes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-09, 07:59
Experimenter

BF:

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2...ter-update.html
Quote:
Triglyceride Buster-Update

In the last Heart Scan Blog post, I described Daniel's experience reducing his triglycerides from 3100 mg/dl to around 1100 mg/dl with use of omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil, along with modifications in his diet. This was accomplished in the space of around two weeks.

An update: Daniel has continued another 10 days on his fish oil, along with elimination of wheat, cornstarch, and sugars.

Repeat triglyceride: 202 mg/dl. That's 93.5% reduction in the space of three weeks--no drugs involved.

Daniel really did nothing extraordinary. He simply followed the simple advice I provided to take a moderate dose of EPA+DHA from over-the-counter fish oil supplements, along with elimination of the foods that are extravagant triggers of triglycerides.

He's got just a little further to go to achieve the biologically ideal level of less than 60 mg/dl. You can see that it is not really that difficult--provided someone didn't load you down with nonsense about "cutting your fat," or statin or fibrate drugs.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-09, 08:21

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I appreciate this post NancyLC. It shows that the medical field has a long way to go before they can even begin to play catch up.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-09, 08:32
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, I'm glad there are a few doctors out there willing to do what actually works!

BTW: If anyone is interested in trying this, the dose of 3600 mg of fish oil isn't just adding up the size of the capsule. Normally that'd be about 3-4 capsules. No, Dr. Davis does it a little differently. He has you add the EPA to the DHA (should be listed on your fish oil bottle) and then go by that. I think my fish oil capsules would end up being about 600-800 mg each. So to get 3600 it'd be something like 6 capsules.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-09, 08:36
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

yes, Nancy-
the companies making the fish oil pills hide the actual Omega 3 content in the fine print on the back label! It is always EPA+DHA, or sometimes listed as Omega 3. It is interesting to compare different brands and see what you are really buying!

thanks for all your great info and posts-
E
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-09, 13:16

Plan: Whole Foods, Mod Carbs
Stats: 292.4/190.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Thanks so much for this!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-03-11, 13:42

Plan: south beach
Stats: 300/297/250 Male 180.34cm
BF:
Progress: 6%

THANKS! My doctor is giving me Lovaza, I just don't know if this is going to work.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-03-11, 14:01

Plan: WAPF
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 0'0"
BF:0%/0%/0%
Progress: 163%

My triglycerides usually float in the 40-50 range, I take 2400mg of fish oil standard, if I have another bottlle coming in I bump it up to 3600mg to start the next bottle so it's not just sitting there.

I only eat at most 120 carbs (on a bulk, no more than 50 on a cut), so I'm sure what time of the year I'm in also affects the variability of my TG range. With only paying 25 bucks for 240 caps and it coming with tocopherols already in it, I'm pretty certain it's a good deal.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-03-11, 14:18

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I spent a year taking Tricor and Lipitor to control high cholesterol. Once I got educated and started eating low carb and getting omega-3s, I dropped the drugs and had better cholesterol numbers than I had with the drugs.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-03-11, 14:21

I just checked. My fish oil capsules have 300mg of DHA+EPA each and I take two with my meals, so I'm taking 1800mg per day.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 13:04

Plan: south beach
Stats: 300/297/250 Male 180.34cm
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I just checked. My fish oil capsules have 300mg of DHA+EPA each and I take two with my meals, so I'm taking 1800mg per day.

yeah, the Lovaza says to take at nightbefore you sleep. Does it make a difference if you take it with a meal? I've drop 9lbs with just diet alone.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstang69
yeah, the Lovaza says to take at nightbefore you sleep. Does it make a difference if you take it with a meal? I've drop 9lbs with just diet alone.
I take them at mealtime so that I don't forget to take them.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 05:39

Plan: Syndrome X - Atkins
Stats: 201/193.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:36/32/21
Progress: 12%

My TG was over 600. They put me on a statin, to which I broke out in hives, then they switched me to another. I do take Omegas (3-6-9) but not in that amount. I think I will boost the quantity and see what happens. I go back in at the end of July - would love to get rid of the statins! Total cholesterol and TG were so high and my HDL was so low they couldn't get an LDL read.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 10:09
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 146/134/134 Male 165cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Large doses of fish oil might have a drawback. Take a look at the post by Jay1988 (followed by a few links which I posted) on the post by Lowcarbkat entitled "Lowering Cholesterol". http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=427274
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 17:42

Plan: Syndrome X - Atkins
Stats: 201/193.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:36/32/21
Progress: 12%

I think in the short term a large dosage will be safe. Possibly safer than the 600 Triglyceride count!