Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 16:00

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default I'm always hungry!

I just don't seem to feel very full for very long after eating.

For lunch I had a very low-carb meal (sardines, lettuce, and celery) and felt comfortably full when I stopped eating, then I was hungry again an hour later. I thought maybe that meal was TOO low in carbs?

Then for dinner, I made tacos- 2 corn taco shells, homemade refried beans, tomatoes, salsa, and more lettuce. I limited myself to 2 taco shells and had some taco salad (beans and veggies) to fill up on. (In the past I would have had 3 or 4 taco shells, and maybe served rice as a side dish as well.) It's 2 hours later and I'm feeling hungry again.

Is there a secret to feeling full? I'm certainly not feeling faint from hunger between meals anymore (with that "I have to eat NOW!!!!" feeling) but I'm still not feeling completely satisfied. Should I be eating more carbs? Fewer carbs? More protein? More fat?

Or does my body just need more time to adjust? I've been trying to cut back on carbs since Friday and tracking my meals on Fitday since yesterday.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 16:14

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

the best way i've found to stay full is to increase your fat intake. you can use regular mayo and make devilled eggs for snacks, or add coconut oil to coffee or tea (i THINK coconut oil is pareve, but you'll have to check the label), or use heavy cream instead of half & half in coffee.

if you increase your fat intake, you DEFINITELY want to decrease your carbs to less than 10% of your daily intake.

i know you've mentioned difficulty trying to stay low-carb, keep kosher, and do it on a very tight budget... normally what i do is add pats of butter to steak, but i know that a) that breaks kashrut laws, and b) you said finding kosher beef you can afford is tough for you. considering the emphasis on protein and the ease of increasing fat intake through dairy, i don't envy you trying to find a "right" way to make all of this fit into your lifestyle. good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 16:18

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthla
I just don't seem to feel very full for very long after eating.

Then for dinner, I made tacos- 2 corn taco shells, homemade refried beans, tomatoes, salsa, and more lettuce. I limited myself to 2 taco shells and had some taco salad (beans and veggies) to fill up on. (In the past I would have had 3 or 4 taco shells, and maybe served rice as a side dish as well.) It's 2 hours later and I'm feeling hungry again.

well, unfortunately you cannot have taco shells or beans, and you need to be very careful there is no sugar in the salsa. Until you go clean and get into ketosis, you will be hungry. Carbs do that to you. Use Fitday or Myplan to see what you're eating. I find 2 days of eggs, meat, and a bit of cheese will put me into the deep purple zone and I have to remind myself to eat.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 16:23

BF:

There's no sugar in the salsa. There's no way I can afford to NOT eat beans right now, unless I don't eat enough altogether, so I can't go completely low-carb right now. I am trying to select beans that have a higher protein/carb ratio (more black beans, fewer lentils.)
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 16:30

If you want to go low carb, chuck the taco shells and beans, and put the seasoned hamburger, sour cream, and cheese on top of lettuce. There's too much salt in the seasoning and some corn starches, but it will help you to take of weight.

If you're on a tight budget--been there, believe me--I made a lot of eggs. I would give my daughter the toast, but I wouldn't have it. A cabbage goes a LONG way and makes a great alternative to pasta.

If you eat the carbs, you'll be hungry.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 16:48
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I tried the salmon and salad diet today-- it didn't last me like my regular meal and I even had an egg and some sunflower seeds in the salad. Fat and protein kill hunger, if I am out shopping and get hungry ill look for some macadamia nuts.

The taco bell will have to stop ringing on low-carb, but I don't know what plan you are on maybe South Beach? I think they allow beans and tortillas.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 16:52

BF:

I feel like I'm just repeating everything I put in the low-budget post. We keep kosher, and kosher hamburger is simply beyond my budget, besides we don't serve meat with dairy products. I'm also allergic to cow's milk protein. Sour cream would work if I could find one made only with cream, not cream and milk.

So tonight's dinner was taco shells, beans, tomatoes, lettuce, and salsa, plus cheese for the kids that I can't eat.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 16:57

Sorry, I'm not in the habit of researching people's posts...

I think you might have to count calories, then, and put up with the hunger.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 17:07
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%

I'm sorry, but looking at your financial, religious, and other dietary restrictions, low carb may not be the best way for you to go.

I know I certainly couldn't do it based on your situation.

Kay
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 17:16

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Welcome ruthla!

Don't be discouraged by the responses here. Some people in their quest to help skim the new posts and don't get every detail and not everyone will understand what keeping kosher really means. Also, a majority of this board does Atkins or a variation, so they post by what they know.

Yes, it will take a few days to be more fat adjusted, so you're likely to be more hungry for a few days. Adding some extra fat to your beans like olive oil or goose fat or schmaltz if you have it will make your meal last longer and be more satisfying. You could also add extra fat with your sardines, or dip your celery in mayonnaise or a mayo based salad dressing.

Do your best to base your meals on fish and eggs whenever possible. Mix these with plenty of good fat and they will be very satisfying. I find if I purchase olive oil in large amounts it both less expensive in general and I can make my own mayo more cheaply than purchasing it. Also nuts when possible. In NY I believe that walnuts are reasonably priced and they are a good source of fat and protein.

I am also intolerant to all forms of casein, not just cows, so I don't use dairy either except small amounts of butter.

Last edited by Bat Spit : Mon, Jun-04-07 at 17:29.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 17:16
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!

South Beach diet might be a better fit. I have used the Daisy brand sour cream, many others are not pure.

http://www.daisybrand.com/Products/DaisyRegular.html
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 17:58
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:lots
Progress: 12%

I agree with Kay on this one.

If you do decide to do Atkins, or some other low carb plan, you'll have to do a lot of research on it, because with your budget, religious, and allergy issues, you'll have to be very educated.

Most people on here aren't familiar enough with keeping Kosher, AND budgeting, AND allergies in order to help you at this early stage.

good luck.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 19:10
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

and....on another note that no one has mentioned...

Could it be that maybe you're feeling "real" hunger for the first time and not "psychological" hunger. Just a thought. When I started low carbing and started eating "clean" I really finally for the first time felt "real" hunger--not cravings, not wanting food out of boredom or entertainment, or for psychological comfort.

I do agree with Kay--with your financial and dietary restrictions--you may want to re-think your plan.

Just another opinion.

Lisa
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 19:31

Plan: Keto
Stats: 232.8/190/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Ruthla, this is my 3rd try at Atkins, but the one thing I find amazing is my total lack of hunger. I have to force myself to get above 1,000 calories. I use FitDay, and I am walking 6 miles a day. I actually started April 1 on a lo-fat plan, and though I was staying below 2,000 calories I was always hungry. This is by far the most dedicated I have ever been to getting rid of my weight.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 22:15

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'm with Bat Spit ... try adding more fats. Olive oil and mayo are both good choices. Higher fats will fill you up and keep you full longer. They're also relatively cheap!

I think you'll be able to low carb, despite your various restrictions, but I agree that you'll need to do lots of research and find (or invent) a plan that's right for you. South Beach or low GI may be a couple of options.

Rachel