Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 09:45
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%
Default War on good health

I have run into several posters on these forums that don't believe that there are "health expert" groups that are against you being healthy. I have presented a couple of articles already this week and, moderators willing, would like to present a few more.

I hope by now, anyone on these forums realizes the bias against low carb diet. IMHO it is more than a bias -- when groups say that a LC diet is unhealthy, will cause you to die of a heart attack, you have to eat carbs, you must cut out fat, etc.

Other things like margarine was invented because butter was so bad for you (and now margarine is recognized to be much worse than butter), the food pyramid, a higher percentage of people are obese and unhealthy 20 years after making the switch to a high carb diet, etc.

Really make you stop and think. Is there a war on good health?

One great example is the menu at my kids schools -- where the "health experts" cram this thinking down the kids minds that this is a healthy diet.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...imageuser=20510

Granted some of the people that go around spewing these lies are just uninformed and not thinking. They are simply parrots repeating what they have heard.

In many instances, I think doctors know what the truth is -- but their hands are tied because of the AMA and their liability insurance. If a doctor were to recommend to a patient - you need to go on the Atkins diet with supplements - and the first day the guy dies -- not from the atkins diet -- but from complications of type 2 diabetes from eating crap for 60 years -- then I doubt the doctor will keep his medical license and insurance.

I think it is probably the same groups that make up lies about LCing -- that are making up lies about vitamins, supplements, and alternative health remedies.

I don't believe that every vitamin, supplement, and alternative health remedy is helpful or useful. But after being told that the Atkins diet will kill me, vitamins and supplements are a waste of time and money (and might kill me), and that my exercise program was a waste of time and would do nothing for me -- and then seeing what incredible results I have acheived -- I say let people try whatever alternative (or natural) health remedy they want. It could be a miracle for them!

I don't want to get off into political discussions - but I think that less interference from government is much better than a little interference. I think that people should be allowed to do whatever they want to do -- as long as everyone involved is an adult and consenting.

I think that people are smart enough - that if they hear about some supplement and they start hearing about all these people dropping dead (or even going to the hospital) because of it -- I think people are smart enough to say - maybe I shouldn't try that. I don't think that we need government to protect us.

Ephedra was a classic example of that. Here are a bunch of kids doing stupid things to lose weight and get ripped -- like exercising really, really hard, in the middle of the summer heat and refusing to drink any water -- and bad things happened. I think that all the news attention is enough for rational people to say -- maybe I should not take ephedra -- until they learn more.

Nothing is safe for everybody. Look up the number of people that die each year from aspirin, tylenol, prescription drugs - even peanut butter.

So who is behind the war on good health? One thing you need to ask yourself is -- who has the most to gain?

Obviously big pharma companies and anyone in the health care industries. The people that keep increasing their prices at 10 to 15 percent per year -- and there is nothing you can do about it. The people that you can not afford to be without.

Is everyone involved in health care a con artist - no. But based on the results you have seen on cutting out high glycemic foods -- why have these groups NOT come out and said -- everyone needs to stop eating high glycemic foods? They say - stop eating fat. Why not - stop eating high glycemic foods?

What I don't get is -- why don't the health insurance companies come out and promote a LC diet? They would gain a ton of $$$. Assuming their premiums stayed the same -- their health care costs would plumment.

What many people don't realize is the ties between the AMA, FDA, and other US government officals and big pharma and other "health experts".

I am having a hard time finding references right now -- but there have been books written about this subject

http://www.amazon.com/Inside-FDA-Bu...ie=UTF8&s=books

The direct giving of gifts from pharma companies to doctors has been scrutinized -- perhaps it is time to put some distance between the AMA, FDA, and other government groups and pharma companies.
http://content.healthaffairs.org/cg...stract/24/4/949

BTW - look up what percentage of the FDA's money comes from pharma companies -- the very companies that they are suppose to over see?

To take the problem one step further -- is the pharma companies have been trying to push laws to make it illegal to buy or sell alternative (natural) remedies.

They tried it in the US and failed

http://bbs.clubplanet.com/health-fi...r-vitamins.html

They tried it in Europe and succeeded.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...pe+ban+vitamins

Last edited by kebaldwin : Sat, Feb-10-07 at 10:29.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 11:11

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebaldwin
Other things like margarine was invented because butter was so bad for you (and now margarine is recognized to be much worse than butter)
Margarine was invented in 1869. Until fairly recently, many governments had laws that were designed to discourage people from using it. The main argument for margarine was that it was cheaper than butter.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 11:46
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

Sorry I should have said margarine was not popular until the margarine people convinced the public that butter was unhealthy but margarine was healthy for them.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 11:50

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebaldwin
Sorry I should have said margarine was not popular until the margarine people convinced the public that butter was unhealthy but margarine was healthy for them.
I agree with that.