Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-05, 14:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%
Exclamation A place for transfat free LC products

Hi,
I see there is a place for products to avoid, and that's nice but I'm hoping that folks can help me make a nice clean list for my shopping cart of products that have been tried, deemed palatable, and contain NO transfats. Now that I've low carbed for a year and tried all the bad stuff, (and enjoyed it, I hate to admit) I've finally decided to take the extra step and try cutting down on the "really bad for you" products. The problem is I have to dig through threads and threads to find which products are transfat free because I can only find a list of the ones that should be avoided. As soon as I click on a thread that sounds promising, I see a response that it's BAD because of the transfats. How bout we make a list of Good for you products.
I am aware the Atkins products are supposed to be transfat free but I am hoping you guys (especially you guys that seem to be really DOWN on the products with trans fats) can post a list of the products that are acceptable from an "avoiding trans fat" point of view. I think it would make grocery shopping a much more enjoyable experience. Thanks in advance. Annie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-05, 18:00

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

im so glad that you have decided to take the step to actually care about your health and eliminate that horrible crap from your diet. Tell me a list of the type of foods you want and ill try to do my best to come up with a list for you. Ive checked for trans fats on hundreds of products.. i literally just walk around the grocery store reading labels so i can probably help. Also, yes ALL Atkins products are Trans Fat free and safe.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-05, 19:17

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yup - reading labels is the best way. I don't think there is a list of stuff without trans fats. Just watch out for "hydrogenated" or "partially hydrogenated" in labels.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-05, 19:31

I'm glad you guys replied. I am interested in the kind of things that seem to be famous for them, cookies, crackers, candy, etc. Also noodles. I loved the keto fettucini noodles but can't find them anymore. Dreamfields taste good but it's got the bad stuff. Atkins are like a cross between rubberbands and cardboard. Also cereals and nutrition bars. I don't have all day to cook/bake but I like to eat good tasting "fast" food too. So what's fast, ready made, that's not bad. Atkins has great bars, etc. but it would be nice to have some "not so expensive" choices and new flavors. Maltitol, doesn't bug me as long as I stay under 20grams/day. Oh, and anything peanut butter/chocolate is good, readymade. And , yes I do know about those wonderful p/b cups in the recipe section. The problem is that for me, maltitol is a great form of portion control and without maltitol, I tend to overindulge. Oh and is there such a thing as a "no trans fat" form of corn chips that are cheaper than atkins? I've never bought them,don't know if they're good or not because of the price.
Another question, I thought it was partially hydrogonated that I needed to watch out for, not hydrogonated. Annie
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-05, 00:22

check out this list:

http://www.transfreeamerica.org/honor.html

also, if the label specifically says "FULLY hydrogenated" then its okay, but if it just says "hydrogenated" then 99.9% of the time it means partially, then just didnt put the partially there.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-05, 02:10

NoWAY!! CRISCO????? on the good list according to that website? Really... it says: Crisco All Vegetable Shortening Zero Trans
This isn't the same crisco that we made cookies with all those years is it??? I just can't believe it. I thought it was bad. I have the book, "Trans Fats, The Hidden Killer In Our Foods" and on pg. 75 it says to discard it. Now, something fishy is going on if it says Crisco is good. I actually have some still in my cupboard and went and looked and the very FIRST ingredient says partially hydrogonated soybean and cottonseed oils. I was pleased to see that triscuts are transfat free, AND I just checked a box that we had around from the holidays for the kiddos and sure enough, they are. So, I guess I have to ask, is there some other Crisco out there that says it's all vegetable shortening that's transfat free that I don't know about? Hmmmm. Well..I just looked up crisco.com and they're making a newer version of 0 transfat shortening now, so It appears to be true. My stuff is outdated. hehe
WOW..fish sticks? bet they're high carb. But it's good to know I can get a better product for the kids. I can't believe Ritz are on that list...I can't find out anything on their website. hmmm will have to look that up in the store. Anyways..they're HIGH carb! Where's the LC products. This is a great list for my kiddos who are still growing. Annie
Oh..and I have tried the LC Voortmans cookies, EVERY flavor. They have butter cookies, shorbread, oatmeal, choc chip, peanut butter wafer types and vanilla wafer types and they're ALL L/C with no trans fats!!!! You can get them at rite-aid. I found them right before Christmas. Nice with a cup of coffee. Annie
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-05, 10:28

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Dreamfields taste good but it's got the bad stuff.

I just checked the 3 types I had in my pantry (elbows, spaghetti and penne) and none of them list partially hydrogenated oils in the ingredients list.
Carb Options Garden sauce is trans-fat free (the Italian Sausage flavor isn't); a good option there is to get your own Italian sausage and add it to the garden sauce.
Low Carb Special K has soybean oil in it, but it's not partially hydrogenated.
LC Voortman cookies are transfat free, but too high in carbs for me.
Carb Countdown Milk has no transfats.
A1 Carbwell steak sauce has no transfats.

In general, if you stick with whole unprocessed foods, you'll avoid transfats. Otherwise, read labels before you purchase and avoid anything that lists a partially hydrogenated oil as an ingredient.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-05, 17:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieFelac
NoWAY!! CRISCO????? on the good list according to that website? Really... it says: Crisco All Vegetable Shortening Zero Trans
This isn't the same crisco that we made cookies with all those years is it??? I just can't believe it. I thought it was bad. I have the book, "Trans Fats, The Hidden Killer In Our Foods" and on pg. 75 it says to discard it. Now, something fishy is going on if it says Crisco is good. I actually have some still in my cupboard and went and looked and the very FIRST ingredient says partially hydrogonated soybean and cottonseed oils. I was pleased to see that triscuts are transfat free, AND I just checked a box that we had around from the holidays for the kiddos and sure enough, they are. So, I guess I have to ask, is there some other Crisco out there that says it's all vegetable shortening that's transfat free that I don't know about? Hmmmm. Well..I just looked up crisco.com and they're making a newer version of 0 transfat shortening now, so It appears to be true. My stuff is outdated. hehe
WOW..fish sticks? bet they're high carb. But it's good to know I can get a better product for the kids. I can't believe Ritz are on that list...I can't find out anything on their website. hmmm will have to look that up in the store. Anyways..they're HIGH carb! Where's the LC products. This is a great list for my kiddos who are still growing. Annie
Oh..and I have tried the LC Voortmans cookies, EVERY flavor. They have butter cookies, shorbread, oatmeal, choc chip, peanut butter wafer types and vanilla wafer types and they're ALL L/C with no trans fats!!!! You can get them at rite-aid. I found them right before Christmas. Nice with a cup of coffee. Annie

the crisco they list is the new "no trans fat crisco" it is made with fully hydrogenated oils, so its trans fat free.