Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 19:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210.0/198.0/165 Female 5'5"
BF: entirely too much
Progress: 27%
Post Tired of the flab!

I'm not new to exercising, but I decided it might help me to start a gym log. I never stopped exercising, even when I got to my highest weight, I just didn't do it as frequently . As I've lost over 40 lbs., I can feel my body getting strong, and it's motivating me to get it into the best shape it can be in. I was a college athlete, and was always in incredible shape, until I had a back injury while working a manual labor job about 6 years ago. That led to a major weight gain, and I've been up and down ever since. I started Atkins in March, & I've been excercising quite a bit, although somewhat sporadically. I hope this gym log will help me be a bit more regular in my exercise regimen.

Anyways, here's today's log:

Morning:

Walked 2 miles (w/DH)
Did situps (military style....have a PT test in 2 weeks)
3 sets of crunches
Bicep Curls
Tricep dips
Pushups

Afternoon:

Ran on my lunchbreak (I'm working nights). I estimate at over 2 miles. I ran for 22 minutes, with a couple of good inclines, and a nice sprint at the end. Felt really good after the run, although was starting to have some calf cramps. I probably need to take a potassium supplement on the days that I run.

Also lots of stretching throughout the day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 09:25

Took some measurements this morning, just hope I can consistently measure the same spot

Hips: 42.25"
Waist: 34.5"
Ribcage: 34.5"
Chest: 38.75"
Neck: 14.5"
Forearm: 10.5"
Wrist: 6.5"
Thighs: R=26" L=25"
Calf: R=15.5" L=16.5"

A whole inch difference from one calf or thigh to the next. Kind of strange. But looking in the mirror, my hips are uneven as well.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 11:40

Morning:

Shot basketball for 30 minutes

Walked for 30 minutes (around 2 miles)

Situps
Bicep Curls
Crunches

Afternoon:

Ran for 25 minutes, with a 30 second sprint at the end. Walked 15 minutes for cooldown. Had a nice run back up the 8 flights of stairs back to work!

Legs felt really tired tonight. I think maybe I need to eat a little more. Maybe need to eat heavier foods in the morning, because I can't eat anything heavy after running. I had to force down the pork chops I had for dinner last night. I have added a glass of milk on days I run, and have upped my fruit intake a little.

Last edited by melissa07 : Tue, Sep-24-02 at 17:50.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 17:06

Walked 40 minutes tonight with some random sprints thrown in just to get my heartrate up a little. My legs feel pretty worked from the last few days of running, so just wanted to give them a little break.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 15:29

Thumbs down

Didn't get any exercise in today. I had to go shop for an outfit for an interview I have tomorrow morning, since I don't have to dress up for where I currently work, and everything I have in my closet is too big!

I hope to get a walk in tonight, but it's been raining like crazy all day, and it doesn't like it will be stopping any time soon.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 12:44

Didn't get much exercise the past few days. It's rained nonstop due to tropical storm Isadora. Me and DH walked for about an hour last night, and I did some stretching. I plan to take another long walk again tonight, since it is looking like it will stay nice outside. I have less than one week until my army PT test. Can you say stress?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 11:20

Walked about 45 minutes on my lunch break today.

Ran 2 miles tonight in 19:05. I felt pretty good, too. I have to run 2 miles in 20:36 to pass my test this weekend, so it's looking pretty good. After my run, me and my husband walked another 3 miles (47 minutes). I'm going to go do my pushups and situps after I make this journal entry.

Last edited by melissa07 : Mon, Sep-30-02 at 18:44.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 10:24

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

Hey there Melissa!

I have a daughter named Melissa! Do they call you Missy? My Melissa likes to be called Melly. She picked it herself!

Just read through your gym log, and way to go on keeping it up. I think the hardest thing to do it to get started. You are doing wonderfully!

How'd the interview go? What is the ARMY PT test for? Sounds scary!!!

Hope all is well,
Peace,
Brenda
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 14:40

Didn't get my lunch time walk in today, so hopefully will get some exercise tonight after work.

Thanks for visiting my journal, Brenda. Nope, I'm not a Missy, just plain Melissa. I had an interview for a paralegal position, and the interview went well, but they didn't offer nearly enough money. I've been trying for a while to find a way to get off this crazy shift work! I work at a bank, and I work 1 month on days and 1 month on nights. After almost 3 years, it's starting to take its toll.

I am in the Army Reserves, and twice a year we take a Physical Fitness test, which includes situps, pushups, and a 2-mile run. It always makes me very nervous, even when I know I can pass without much problem. I think I will do fairly well this time, considering last time I took the test, I weighed 15 more lbs! I also have a weigh in, which is always wonderful being weighed in front of everyone. I always have to have a body fat test, because my maximum allowed weight is 145. I haven't weighed 145 since I was a sophomore in high school. I actually passed my body fat test with a weight of 195 lbs last time, if you can believe that (I'm a pretty stout girl).

Your gym stats are really awesome. I hope to get into some lifting sometime soon (if I can talk hubby into joining the gym with me).
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 18:59

Thumbs up

Ran 1 mile tonight in 9:00. Me & hubby walked 3 miles (47 minutes).
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 14:06

Walked 30 minutes on my lunch break. Taking a break from running tonight. I don't want to overdo it before my big test this weekend, but me & DH are going to shoot some basketball, and probably take another walk.

Played 20 minutes of basketball tonight & walked 3 miles tonight!

Last edited by melissa07 : Wed, Oct-02-02 at 19:25.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 14:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 104/108/104 Female 5' 3"
BF:22%/17%/14%
Progress: 200%
Default Enjoying Your Gym Log

There are so many gym logs and journals that can be read here that I just picked a few to follow. I'm glad I picked yours as one of them. I have been wondering how you are modifying Atkins to support all of the exercise you are doing. I did catch the "glass of milk" addition but have wondered what else you've found helpful. I am still trying to figure out exactly how many carb grams I need to feel great at rest and during exercise.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 15:25

Hi Cyprinodon,

I'm still kinda seeing what foods I can add, along with my increased exercising. I always crave milk when I run, so I added that first. I've also had plain full fat yogurt, & my personal favorite---peanut butter (both the regular & no-sugar varieties). I also have been eating more fruit, like half an apple, orange, or pear & lots of melon or berries.

Since you don't really have much weight that you want to lose (if any!) you can probably be a little more liberal than me. I will definitely be adding more in once I get to my goal weight.

Have you checked out the CKD forum? I am seriously considering this, once I get my gym membership. You carb up on weekends (or whenever is good for you) and it helps replenish your glycogen stores, which will help your energy levels if you work out a lot. Some people carb up for 2 days, but some for only one. It looks like you need to lower your fat intake significantly for this to work properly. The CKD forum, if nothing else, is definitely some interesting reading.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 12:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 104/108/104 Female 5' 3"
BF:22%/17%/14%
Progress: 200%

Hi Melissa:

Thanks for all of the info. I have been reading at the CKD site as it seems like that might be one way to get the low body fat percentage I am interested in. If I do everything right, I'll probably gain weight but I'm not sure about that. One of the first winners of the BFL contest is about my height and looks totally awesome. I assumed she weighed about 115 pounds but then read that she was at 104 pounds. I am sort of afraid to try CKD because before I started Atkins, I spent about 10 years of weekends sleeping and week days forcing myself to stay awake. The few times I didn't feel wiped out sleepy was during exercise and my exercise was interupted about 30% of the time by hypoglycemia down in the 50 mg/dl range. Before Atkins, I also craved milk (milk with spoon sized shredded wheat) after heavy exercise, especially after weight training. I think I'll follow in your footsteps and go with milk and peanut butter for now. Thanks again.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 18:17

Didn't walk on my lunch break today...too busy.

Shot basketball for 20 minutes tonight & walked 3 miles.
Made 6 3-pointers in a row...maybe I haven't lost my touch.

Cyprinidon, has Atkins helped a lot with your tiredness & hypoglycemia? That sounds pretty tough to deal with, but looks like you're not letting it slow you down at all. Way to go!