Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 12:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/191/150 Female 5'2 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default What Sausage?

Hi!

Wondering what kind of sausage is acceptable for breakfast sausage--do you get the big frozen one wrapped in plastic (like u use for Thanksgiving stuffing) or the boxes of frozen patties/links? Do you know which brands might be better than others?

Also, I'm assuming other sausage that you find in butcher's section like for bbq are ok to have?

Thanks, and Happy Halloween!

Last edited by meows : Fri, Oct-31-03 at 12:04.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 12:40

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

As always, check the labels as the ingredients vary and so do the carb counts. Most sausage contain sugar that I can get around here so it is a matter of choosing one that has the least amount possible. I don't eat much sausage but when I do I get the Jimmy Dean roll sausage or pre-made patties.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 19:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 130/125/112 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

hi..i also have some problems about the sausage thing....my one says that it contains starch...with no nutritional info...so how do i go about it?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 01:57

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Sausages are just plain hard to buy! I looked at a package of Jimmy Dean and it seemed like it had the least amount of sugar of a lot of them. Unless you're someone who just can't take any amount of sugar without setting off cravings, then going with a sausage with 1 carb per serving is acceptable in my book.

There's also a better option. Buy fresh-ground pork and/or ground beef and make your own. You can season it however you see fit, with things like pepper, sage, garlic and a little salt. If you want Italian type sausage, you can use anise, fennel, basil, garlic, onion powder, etc.

I like using a big mixer (like a KitchenAid) for mixing the sausage, then just package it into meal size portions and put it in the freezer until you want to use it. After it's been in the freezer for a few days, the flavors really go through the meat.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 02:39

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

LilaCotton, I really like your idea. However, all I have is one of those little hand mixers! Guess I'll have to try mixing it by hand like I do meatloaf.

The only sausage I've found that doesn't contain sugar is Bob Evans' original sausage in the 1 pound roll and Bob Evans' sage sausage in the 1 pound roll. All of the links and patties I've found in 4 different brands have sugar in them! Why do folks think they have to put sugar in meat?

shortstuff
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 07:26

Stats: 228/205/145 Female 5'5 inches
BF:dont know
Progress: 28%
Default Try Veggie Bacon

At my grocery store A&P (canada) They sell Veggie Bacon
It tasted pretty close to the real thing and it has no carbs and no sugar.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 08:15
Registered Member

Stats: 205/191/150 Female 5'2 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Thanks LilaCotton, that's a great idea My hubby got home made sausage from this fab butcher's shop - I'll call them to see what the ingredients are to make sure there's no sugar or how much.

Take care
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 13:24
Contributing Member

Stats: 216/196/150 Female 5'8" inches
BF:beaucoup
Progress: 30%

My experience is that most brand-name sausage has all sorts of junk in it which, even when it's not raising the carbs (and often it is), it's just plain not good for you anyway. Nitrates/nitrates are one obvious example. If you're lucky enough to have an actual butcher shop in your area, you should be able to get sausage which is just ground meat and maybe some spices. I buy a bunch at one time and freeze it.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 17:19

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

I found fresh sausage without sugar and fillers in the meat section at our local Costco. Not the prepaged stuff in the prepaged section! In the fresh meat section ... of course it is in bulk, so I fresh it into smaller packages. I can't have any of the prepackaged sausage foods because of the sodium/nitrates ... I retain water so easily!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 22:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 232/230/175 Female 5-7
BF:unsure
Progress: 4%

Hey how's kielbasa sausage w/ saurkraut? I thought that would be good to do.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 17:25

Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I've been using Farmer Johns Sausage. If I am reading the lable correctly it has less than 1 carb and no nitrates.
Dazy
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 21:58

Stella, just make sure to read the label on the keilbasa. The ones I can find here are pretty sugar-loaded.

Dazy, where do you find Farmer John's sausage? I don't think I've seen that in any of my stores, but may've overlooked it.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 23:26

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 190/190/130 Female five foot three
BF:
Progress:

sausages are bad! there like hotdogs theres really no way to know whats in them......theres turkey bacon here and it ssosooo good u should try that!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 00:16

Nicomanti, while you may be able to get good turkey bacon where you live, some of us may not be able to get it. When I was low-fatting I used to eat plenty of turkey bacon. No more! If I have bacon now, it's the real thing. I'll take my chances with a little nitrates if I can find a sugar-free variety, which I have. One day in the near future I hope to have my own smoker, and nitrates will be a thing of the past. Ahhhh! Home smoked bacon!!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 16:55

Plan: as soon as I go grocery shopping
Stats: 238/238/180 Male 5' 11
BF:
Progress:

hey I don't get all the talk of sugar...I thought it was all about counting carbs??...I bought and cooked a package of 6" italian style sausage links...the label said it has 2grams of carbs per serving...No mention of sugar on it.... Is sugar content only important if u suffer from sugar cravings? (as in, the more it has, the more your desire for it goes up?)