Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 09:53

Plan: dr clarks
Stats: 210/183/168 Female 5 ft 10inches
BF:43%
Progress: 64%
Angry whats happened...not burning fat no more!

I have just done a ketone test and it came up 'trace' !!!! I have been doing this diet for 5 weeks and have always showed burning fat at every test. I am devestated! I have stuck to this religiously, I have gone down a size smaller, but...this will make you laugh! I can still wear the clothes I wore before the diet !!!! it really dosen't make sense.....well, they were abit tight I suppose.help me please, tell me that it is supposed to happen !!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 13:56

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Twiglet

Good to see you in the UK forum now. Stop worrying. Those ketosticks are remarkably unreliable. If you are losing weight and inches then that is key. There is a good article on Ketosis in my journal that I copied from the GO-Diet. If you go to the first page of my journal there is an index to useful info. You will find it right at the top.

If you are doing what the book says then you are doing fine. Have you taken your measurements? You should do, as sometimes these change when the scales don't.

We all want to lose weight super fast, but your body will only let go of it at the rate it is happy. Here I am over 2 years into this way of life and have now lost 5 stone with around the same to go if I want to get to my goal. For me it is a long slow journey, but worth it. Take a look at my photos, below my signature fairy, if you want to see proof of that.

Just keep focussed and those pounds will come off. You are still in ketosis.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 18:52
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

hello there,

Anne is quite right, you're doing everything correctly. The ketone sticks can give false negative results for a number of reasons .. one may be that you've used them all up for fuel, so there's none left to "spill over" into the urine. The sticks only indicate what's in the urine at the time you empty your bladder, so they shouldn't be relied upon as the be-all and end-all. If you click on Low Carb Tips from the orange menu bar near the top, you'll see an article "Ketosis and Ketone Testing Strips" which should help to ease your worries.

May you have continued success

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 03:12

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

hi twiglet (cool name!)

I won't repeat what the other two have said although they are quite correct - but I would add this, through your menus into fitday and see whether you maybe need to add in mroe fat or something - as although you aren't cheating your fat % might have slipped. Or maybe your carbs % slipped slightly higher?

I have never used the sticks and wouldn't I go on how I feel.

I know one person started adding in half an avocardo a day and it really helped - just needed that little bit more fat.

Either way you are still doing great - and just make sur eyou don't switch from scales watching to stick watching - neither I believe are truely helpful - if you feel well you are well and as this is for life that I believe is a better judge of how you are doing.

Good luck though and let us know how you are doing

Sarah
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 08:38

Plan: dr clarks
Stats: 210/183/168 Female 5 ft 10inches
BF:43%
Progress: 64%

why thankyou peeps! you are keeping me going, thanks for all the above info, I have never had an avacado I will buy one when i go shopping (almost everyday now) and give it a whirl.

Anne - i have finally cracked this journal thingy!!!! Ra Ra
will you read it for me and let me know im doing
ok please??
MANY THANKS AGAIN YOU WONDERFUL PEEPS XX
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 18:49
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

dont worry about them sticks they are a wast of time!!
also whern i first startrd this diet and lost loads my clothes still fitted, then i realised whilst looking back at pictures, I was welded into them before, so they where infact fitting properly, now they are too big, just hang on in there, youve only been at it 5 weeks, its not a race but a way of life!! I know its hard cause we would all like to loose it over night, but belive me you can and will get there!!