Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 10:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 231/191/150 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default A Way of Life

I have done the Atkins on and off for many years. And, yes, it is true that if you go back to loading on carbs ultimately you will gain more weight than you lost (myself: from a low of 140 lbs to a high of 231 lbs). I am the penultimate yo-yo dieter and have been on every diet known to humanity, lol. I have learned a lot about myself by reading these boards. For me, carb addiction is similar to alcohol or drug addiction with the added stress that while you can stop drinking/drugging, you must still eat. I am a recovering alcoholic/drug for over 10 years but my carb addiction was running rampant. That is until I was recently diagnosed a Type II Diabetic. Now my eating problems have manifested itself as a life-threatening disease. My blood sugar was so high that my vision was severely compromised and is now just returning to normal. I am currently on a low dose of diabetic medicine but I credit the Atkins diet with bringing my blood sugars down to normal in 2 weeks (from 330 to 110-120). So, anyone that is struggling with their committment to this diet I say this: Please take this carb addiction seriously. Your very health is at stake. Do not wait until you develop diabetes or any other of a host of other diseases that will compromise your life. I for one have the added incentive to stay on this way of life forever. And I really want to thank each and every one of you for helping me through this ordeal. You can never know how your thoughts and information have helped me. God bless you all.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 10:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/235/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Thank you for sharing your compelling story, verniebird. Hits very close to home!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 11:08

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

yes... it IS an addiction..I think food can be in general and I appreciate your story because it will help me to remember that this IS my way of life and that there is NO going back. You can do this!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 12:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 277/248/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Oh does your story sound familiar!!!!!! Good luck, and maybe for both of us this time it will be the last time we have to adjust our wol!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 18:18
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

<nod nod> After teking a good, hard look at my family history, and remembering how hard it was to lose my father to obesity-related matters, I HAVE to make it work!

Thanks for reminding us. (And telling SOME for the first time that are using it as a crash diet, actually DAMAGING their health!)

Last edited by potatofree : Fri, Aug-22-03 at 18:20.