Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 21:15

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default What do you do with closed-minded parents?

I just got back from visiting my parents out of state...and the whole time, it was, "you're clogging your arteries...you need to eat grains...you're going to die an early death...shame on you for eating pork when you know better...how anyone can eat red meat is beyond me...if you were still a child, I'd put you over my knee and spank you for eating that meat...you should only eat food with no cholesterol and no fat..." and on and on....

YIKES! It is such a relief to be back home and have the freedom to eat what I want... (I took my own food for the visit, as well as bought some there, since they think Wonder Bread is the Wonder Food of life....)

But what can you say to people who absolutely refuse to listen to anything you say, who refuse to read a book (I tried to give them reading material...but no dice) and who just keep saying, "Everyone knows that low-fat..." and ""All the magazine articles say that..." and "Everything you hear says that..." and "All the doctors say that..." AAAGGGHHHH!!!!

They're my parents, and I love them, but they're only eating low-fat, high-carb ...my dad goes out and "cheats" with food when he's away from my mom, but usually with bakery items like donuts and such, not meat or fat....

They are reasonably healthy for their age, (they're late sixties) so they are sure that they are right...I'm just tired of the struggle through the whole visit...I would like to see them eating a little healthier, though....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 21:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'd just not venture into that territory when you're talking to them. Tell them you're old enough to make up your own mind what to eat and if they wish to continue to enjoy your company that they need to respect that. Sometimes parents can be children.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 21:35

Plan: Maintaining
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5' 7"
BF:I'm/at/GOAL!
Progress: 105%

My opinion probably won't be met favorably but, If I were you I would eat salad, raw vegies & stuff that you can eat that they agree with (seem like low fat diet) when you are there. The reason is my mom didn't always agree with the stuff that I did but I respected her enough to always remember she was the mom. Why make yourself miserable when you visit or make them miserable - you know parents don't live forever - I wish I still had mine. Enjoy them while you can!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 18:38

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Thanks Nancy and LynnDee. I think I was needing to vent...I now feel acknowledged and listened to...much appreciation.

I would still like to have my folks eat healthier, but perhaps some things are just not possible....unless the mainstream thinking changes to low-carb....they figure if "everyone" is saying it (about low fat), then it must be right.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 18:57

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

My parents are of the same generation as yours...and even though they mostly "understand" and "believe" in lowcarb, I have to repeat the stuff about fat and red meat often. I chalk this up to them having 25 more years of programming than I do. It's an incredibly hard mindset to shake, even if you're willing to make the effort. (And most people aren't...my parents already had a bit of an anti-authority streak...so don't think too badly of your folks.)
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 19:07
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 170/160/150 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 50%

whos to say there not right?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 19:12
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack

Just tons of studies and everyone who has been successful eating a meat-rich diet, that's all.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 19:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

My experience is that old folks tend to believe authority figures a lot more than us younger generation does. Or at least, we're far more skeptical.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 19:20

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:

Alright, I will You don't need to eat grains and fatty meat is the best food for you. That being said, they need to be cut some slack, they have spent a lifetime listening to bad food advice and they are likely genuinely worried.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 19:37
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

If they are in their late sixties, then they remember (as I do) when all the advice was to "Cut out the starches". That word "Starches" probably means more to them than anything else you might say. If you say you are just trying to cut out the starches, it might trigger old preconceptions and they will cut you some slack.

It's a long shot, but hey, you never know.

I broke through my FIL's barriers by calling it the "Air Force" diet. He was in Korea and so anything military is alright with him. He was willing to listen (slightly) after that.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 19:41
Registered Member

BF:

i agree on fat and meat but plants are vital for the magnesium,, but ever time i look up a low carber they dont seem to make it past 80-90 (ie Vilhjalmur Stefansson, died of stroke)

but alot of people i look up that are over 100, seem to be vegetarian based.... so...ie; jack lalanne, althought not 100 yet, i could see him going over 100

honestly i think magnesium is key to a long, healthy life.

Last edited by blackjack : Tue, Apr-29-08 at 19:50.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 19:49
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
but alot of people i look up that are over 100, seem to be vegetarian based.
Interesting. What are some of the names you looked up? Jack Lalanne ate meat three times a day most of his life.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 19:51
Registered Member

BF:

hunza, okinawa, georgie, vilcambia all abouit 70-80% vegetarian.
(all magnesium rich diets)

although okinawa relied heavily on fish and pork. (omega 3 / magnesium rich diet )

my opinion 49% meat, 49% plants, 2% grains,dairy.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 19:56
Registered Member

BF:

jack lalanne was actually vegetarian most of his life, he only ate meat for a short time ( because everyone told him you need meat for muscle)
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 20:29

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
but alot of people i look up that are over 100, seem to be vegetarian based.... so...

http://www.vegetariansareevil.com/