Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 18:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 279/175.9/176 Male 180cm
BF:39.6%/22%/18%
Progress: 100%
Default Atkin's Vitamins

Hi,
I am a little confused about what the following directions on some of the Atkin's vitamin bottles mean -

Basic #3
Directions: Take three tablets per day with meals.

Does that mean one tablet with each meal or three tablets at one time with any meal. Does it matter? I currently take three tablets with breakfast. Should I be taking one with each meal (breakfast, lunch & dinner)???

Essential Oils
Directions: Take two softgels per day with meals.

Again, does that mean one tablet with two different meals or two tablets at one time with any meal. Does it matter? I currently take two tablets with breakfast. Should I be taking one with two different meals???

Thank you.
Simon.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 19:13

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Jai!

The way I read it, you should be taking one Basic #3 with each meal and one Essential oil with 2 meals (your choice). I'm not sure if it matters if you take them all at one time or not, but I think the idea is that since these are not time-release supplements, that you should spread them out to keep a steady level in your bloodstream instead of giving yourself one big jolt all at one time. I'm sure someone will be along soon with a better explanation, but in the mean time I hope this helps.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 20:26
Registered Member

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 248/186.0/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I work in a pharmacy (not quite the pharmacist yet, so by no means an expert ), and as Lisa N said, you should take one basic #3 with each meal, and one essential oils pill with two meals. It (most likely) does make a difference whether you spread them out or not, because spreading the pills out over the course of a day allows your body to absorb the right amounts. Some vitamins are absorbed more easily, and some less easily, I think depending on whether they are water or fat soluble. I hope this makes sense, and clarifies some of Lisa N's thoughts...

I am not sure what basic #3 has, because I take alphabetic, a supplement for diabetics that my boss recommended to me (not just for diabetics but also their families). It is a multivitamin without iron (which I read on here is a possible no-no?), and has the highest over-the-counter potassium levels (3%)