Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 05:10

Plan: low carb
Stats: 00/00/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Weight Watchers Looks To Feast On Atkins Defectors

WEIGHT WATCHERS LOOKS TO FEAST ON ATKINS DEFECTORS

August 16, 2004 -- Weight Watchers International Inc. is hoping to reel in U.S. dieters disillusioned with low-carbohydrate plans like Atkins, though it remains to be seen if its new program will revitalize battered profits and membership rolls.
"We are seeing all sorts of people, and more and more of them are people who have tried one low-carb diet or another," Eliot Glazer, Weight Watchers vice president of marketing, said in an interview. Yet whether more of these so-called low-carb refugees find a home at Weight Watchers is another question. The Woodbury, New York, company on Thursday said profit fell in the second quarter while acknowledging the low-carb craze may not be ebbing as quickly as it had forecast.

CEO Linda Huett told investors during a conference call on May 11 she expected to see a growing number of low-carb refugees. Two days later itsstock hit a two-year low of $31.83.

High-protein, low-carbohydrate regimens like the Atkins and South Beach diets have generated a massive following among weight-conscious U.S. consumers, though the craze has leveled off after peaking in January, said Harry Balzer, vice president at market research firm The NPD Group.

About 7 percent of adult Americans now follow some kind of low-carb diet, down from a high of 9 percent, Balzer said. Yet attendance at Weight Watchers meetings in North America declined in the past quarter, spurring the company to narrow its profit forecast for the year.

In the face of such membership declines, Weight Watchers hopes its new initiative will boost attendance by attracting dieters who are weary of shunning foods like bread and pasta.

Atkins Chief Marketing Officer Matt Wiant said because of its meetings format, Weight Watchers will be a haven for dieters who need social reinforcement to lose weight. He added that Atkins' own research showed that Weight Watchers' plan was not seen by consumers as being as effective as low-carb.

"They are not turning to Weight Watchers for their nutritional brilliance," Wiant said.

http://www.nypost.com/business/28928.htm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 05:34

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

LOL I love this quote

Quote:
"They are not turning to Weight Watchers for their nutritional brilliance," Wiant said.

I'm surprised they haven't caved in yet and added a low carb option to their program. It's probably because it's still viewed as controversial. I remember that it took them quite a while to modify their plan to high-carb many years back.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 06:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Well, we have a bunch of WW defectors here...

Actually, their plan can work, if you can live on it. Me, I lasted three days. I'd run out of points by mid-afternoon. It's hard to go hungry.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 07:15

Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I am a Type II diabetic and the health benefits I have found doing low-carb will never make me look at another silly plan again. They can say whatever they want but for me low-carb is a wonderful plan that has saved my life, which is not something I can not say for WW or any high carb diet.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 07:51

Plan: TNTDIET
Stats: 327/234/220 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 87%

I joined weight Watchers...It worked..I watch my weight go up.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 08:00

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

People who have defected from a low carb lifestyle were probably never committed in the first place. They didn't read or do any research.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 08:22
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

As a carb addict and a WW flunky of 5 times over the years, I am so happy with my new WOE that WW will never see me again!!

They have way too many refined carbs in their plan for this girl! They need to see that there are many of us out there that are intelligent enough to find what works and stick with it. WW never worked for me, not one time!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 08:39

BF:

to Judy: Ok, this is totally off topic but I just GOT to ask. What is it with the new profile pictures everyone seems to be sporting these day.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 08:51
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

OK...off topic response....there is a site where can construct a pic of yourself using their software. Cute huh?

I will try to find a link for you later today
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 08:53
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
Actually, their plan can work, if you can live on it. Me, I lasted three days. I'd run out of points by mid-afternoon. It's hard to go hungry.

I knew something was wrong with my eating plan when I saved all my points for the WW snacks.

WW worked for me over a decade ago when it was lower carb (e.g., 2 "breads" a day) -- and I had only 15 pounds to lose. In the 70s and 80s I believe it was a reasonable diet based on real food choices.

When WW changed the diet in the early 90s to 6 "breads" a day, I was thrilled speechless. WW was now selling it's "diet" foods in the supermarket, along with tons and tons of desserts. Strange how I never lost weight doing WW again.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 11:54
Registered Member

Plan: My Own LC
Stats: 192/179/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I never felt well on WW because I didn't break my carb-addiction. If I could have ice cream or a vegetable, guess which one I'd have? I kept letting myself down because I wasn't "stronger" or more mature about eating but now I'm thinking that 2/3 of the time I was just feeding my body what it was craving (carbs) and it wasn't all about me being "weak" willed.

Sandy
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 12:48

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Maybe we're just finally learning the WW isn't the end all be all diet! It certainly didn't help me reach my goal weight and trust me I tried it at least 10 times! All I got was over 300 pounds and feeling like a total failure because I just didn't have the will power to stick to the plan. Hard to stick to win you have to white knuckle it everyday!

I will NEVER go back and I wish I would have found LC years ago! It might have saved me a ton of cash and many years of feeling miserable because I couldn't control my eating.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 07:34

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I just had lunch yesterday with a lady who said, "Weight Watchers was the only thing that ever worked for me," and plans to go back on it. She knows what I'm doing...she knows what I look like...the problem is, any failures will be blamed on herself, not WW!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 10:15

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
I just had lunch yesterday with a lady who said, "Weight Watchers was the only thing that ever worked for me," and plans to go back on it. She knows what I'm doing...she knows what I look like...the problem is, any failures will be blamed on herself, not WW!

Whereas when people "fail" on low-carb, it's always the fault of low-carb. Interesting dichotomy.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 10:19

BF:

Quote:

I know a lady that was saying the same thing. I sent her the Gary Taubes article and now she is trying low-carbing