Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 07:26

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 186/161/138 Female 65 inches
BF:38/30ish/?
Progress: 52%
Default Original Atkins Plan

Does anyone have any information about problems that might have arisen when people followed Atkin's original diet (no veggies)?

I did the fat fast for one day. The next day I tried it again, but it was too tough, so I ate more (of the same food) at one meal, and it was wonderful.

Yesterday I sorta followed the more modified Fat Fast and felt awesome.

I've never liked veggies, so following this for a little bit wouldn't be so hard. I already felt like my body needed a shift as I was bouncing up and down around the same weight for a bit.

I've dropped 3 lbs in three days, and for the first time since starting Atkins, feel like I can really feel and see the loss.

No, I don't want to do this indefinitely, but I am so confident that lo-carb is what I need, I'm thriving on it.

I did have some leg cramping last night in bed, and will be a good girl and start on my vitamins (I detest vitamins, make me sick always) and will search for "leg cramp" info.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried the "no veggie" route for a short while and how you felt.

Also, I really don't want to be bashed that I shouldn't be doing this, every BODY is different.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 07:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

Actually, yes I have done this for a couple of days... but I did not totally remove veggies... just had a lot less then the recommended amounts (little salad with lunch only) ... but ate predominantly fat and meat for a few days. I did feel good and I think it jump started my weight loss. I would not personally do it for more than a day or two... because I think not only are the veggies important to you nutritionally... they are important as a source of fiber.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 07:42

I'm wondering about the fiber thing though. They like to throw those "Eskimo" diets at us, and the experiments others have done with the Eskimo type of eating. They aren't eating fiber then either.

I've had no problem with "the potty." It's just a smaller amount. In fact, I have more problems when I eat a plate of lettuce...it messes up my whole system.

Hmmmm....more to contemplate.

---------------------
I just finished up my Fitday journal for yesteday (the 13th) and didn't see what I expected though. My results were "perfect" induction numbers, the fat wasn't that high at all, only 65%. So basically I'm doing induction without veggies right now. My carbs came from an avocado.

Last edited by AnnetteW : Tue, Jan-14-03 at 07:49.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 08:10

Stats: 186/186/120 Female 5'2" Inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default A couple of comments...

First of all I read that the vitamans make you sick. I used to have that trouble too until I started taking time released. I have not had any problems since. I knew that it was the iorn that I was having trouble with. My mom suggested them and they have worked.

Secondly, you were talking about leg cramps. I KNOW you drink cases of water but somehow you are losing it all. The leg cramps are caused because of dehydration. Maybe you can start taking in a little more salt into you diet to help you retain a bit more of it.

I am going to do what you have done, to help jump start myself again and hopefully that will work.

Wish me luck!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 11:21

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%

You won't receive any bashing from me. This is the main low carb diet I follow.

For some reason my body does not break down any carbs, including the veggies. So I started eating this way and the scale started moving. I do however make it a point every so often to add in a salad here and there or a stir fry. I won't eat this way forever, but it is a good way to go for now.

When following the Atkins induction, I seem to not lose. I need to cut the veggie and cheese intake and BAM the weight starts coming off.

I'm not a big fan of vitamins as well so I take ONE multi-vitamin, (Centrum performance) that way I don't have to take 13 pills in the morning.

As for the leg cramps, do you cut back on the sodium? Because losing water and all water retention can cause leg cramps. Atkins has a good FAQ on his site regarding this.

Atkins has a strong diuretic effect during the first week of Induction. When you lose a large amount of water as you do at the start of any weight-loss program, you also lose electrolytes, which contain the minerals potassium, magnesium and calcium, resulting in leg cramps. To replace these vitanutrients, salt your food to taste and take a mineral supplement that includes calcium, magnesium and potassium.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 13:50

Thanks for the comments about sodium. I didn't know that, and yes, I feel a slight bit dehydrated. How do I know...well, I drink water through out the day, and drink most in the evening. I always drink a large glass right before bed (a full 16 oz. glass). Before in the morning, I'd pee out ALL of it, and now I can tell I have a much smaller amount (my, the things we talk about). It's like my body is so efficient now at processing water, and I obviously can't drink more than that right before bed. I also don't wake at night to drink more.

I have eaten a oz and a half of salted macadamia nuts in the last few days, I would think that is more than enough sodium.

UAGirl, maybe my body just doesn't break them down properly either. I don't know where to find more information on this though.

Thanks for all your input (as I cook a hamburger patty and put avocado slices on top, for my lunch...yummy).
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 16:09
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi AnnetteW:

After any meal with veggies, I'm hungry about 30-45 minutes later. In my case it's very frustrating because I LOVE veggies. I've had to pretty much eliminate veggies throughout the day and allow myself dinner with veggies. At least I'm only dealing with nighttime hunger instead of hunger all day.

Last year I did the fat fast for a couple days to experiment how it would affect my hunger and it did work. I'd do it again if I didn't love my veggies so much. It was so nice not feeling hungry, though. I can't stand it. Like you, doing the fat fast was actually much easier than I thought it would be.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 00:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

bottom of pg 9 of Protein Power, small print, paraphrased:

There was a study done in 1929-30 on two explorers: Vilhjalmur Stefansson and Karsten Anderson. They volunteered to be studied while hospitalized in NY City for one year. They ate a meat diet of 2500+ cals/day which was 75% fat. Neither experienced any adverse effects and both lost about 6 lbs with normal lipid and chemical profiles.

Dr. Atkins mentioned this study in his book, too, but did not go into as many details as the Eades doctors did.

I would suggest keeping your water intake up to combat any digestive problems (which I know you're doing already), and stop being this strict with yourself if you begin to feel even slightly bored with the menu. Staying on the program long-term is more important than quick weight loss.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 00:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

bottom of pg 9 of Protein Power, small print, paraphrased:

There was a study done in 1929-30 on two explorers: Vilhjalmur Stefansson and Karsten Anderson. They volunteered to be studied while hospitalized in NY City for one year. They ate a meat diet of 2500+ cals/day which was 75% fat. Neither experienced any adverse effects and both lost about 6 lbs with normal lipid and chemical profiles.

Dr. Atkins mentioned this study in his book, too, but did not go into as many details as the Eades doctors did.

I would suggest keeping your water intake up to combat any digestive problems (which I know you're doing already), and stop being this strict with yourself if you begin to feel even slightly bored with the menu. Staying on the program long-term is more important than quick weight loss.