Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 16:27
Registered Member

Plan: custom
Stats: 150/115/100 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 70%
Arrow Body by Jake CarbManager

This Body by Jake CarbManager claims to "help your body naturally manage carbs, increases energy, helps create lean mass instead of fat, and increases your body's ability to burn calories". My first thought is yeah, right... The stuff's expensive too - $50 for 1 month supply.

But the site lists the ingredients, they are...

Quote:
Carosolic Acid

An extract of Lagerstroemia speciosa plant, Carosolic Acid been shown to promote the transport of blood sugar into cells and is completely safe and well-tolerated in both human and animal test subjects. Because blood sugar fluctuations can be closely related to hunger, energy levels and food cravings in many people, adequate control of blood sugar levels throughout the day is quite effective in promoting weight loss and maintenance.

A crossover, placebo-controlled clinical study was conducted at the Tokyo Jikeikai Medical School in Japan with Type II diabetic human subjects. After four weeks, corosolic acid was shown to effectively reduce blood glucose levels vs. placebo, with no adverse effects. Furthermore, even a simple one-time dose of corosolic acid left a "memory-effect" for blood glucose control, lasting several days.
Vanadium
Vanadium is an essential trace mineral. Vanadium plays a role in metabolism of carbohydrates and may have functions in cholesterol and blood lipid metabolism. In diabetics, vanadium supplements may have a positive effect in regulating blood glucose levels. It has been proven to lower blood sugar levels and increase muscle mass.

It is an established scientific fact that Vanadium has a positive effect in regulating blood glucose levels. This is true in diabetic subjects also. Research studies on vanadyl sulfate been shown to normalize blood glucose levels and reduce glycosylated hemoglobin levels in patients with non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM). Also in NIDDM patients, vanadium sulfate reduces fasting glucose levels by about 20% and decrease hepatic insulin resistance.

Gymnema Sylvestre
Gymnema is a plant used medicinally in India and Southeast Asia for treatment of diabetes or hyperglycemia. Gymnema suppress glucose absorption and reduces the sensation of sweetness in foods – effects which may deliver important health benefits for individuals who want to reduce blood sugar levels or body weight.

Compared to corosolic acid, the effect of gymnema extract on lowering blood levels of glucose, cholesterol and triglycerides is more gradual, typically taking a few days to several weeks. On the plus side, however, some recent studies suggest that repeated supplement of gymnema extracts results in even more permanent positive changes and may actually help to repair the cellular damage that causes diabetes by helping to regenerate the insulin producing beta-cells in the pancreas.

Quercetin
Quercetin is a water-soluble flavonoid typically found in red wine, green tea, onions, apples and leafy vegetables. In the body, quercetin has potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities, where it can protect cellular structures and blood vessels from the damaging effects of free radicals. There is some evidence that quercetin also acts as an antihistamine and may play a role in elevating norepinephrine levels; effects which have been linked to relief of allergies and asthma as well as increased energy expenditure and thermogenesis.

They are offering a 14 day trial for just cost of shipping. I'm debating whether it's worth the $4.95 to try it. Has anybody tried it or know anything about the ingredients?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 15:56

Plan: CarbManager
Stats: 210/210/200 Male 6 foot
BF:
Progress:

I been taking Citraplex which increases metabolism, but I would still get sleepy around the afternoon. Like any higher metabolism stimulant, the body tends to adapt over time so it is not effected as strongly.

When I used CarbManager, the effects were noticeable. I actually felt energetic, instead of the "forced" energy that comes from higher metabolism stimulants. All the higher metabolism stuff does for me is make my heart pound more strongly (where I can feel it constantly) but I don't really have energy all day. CarbManager gave me that energy especially when I workout. I do 45 minutes of cardio 6 days a week then lift weights for about 15-20 minutes, splitting up muscle groups for different days to allow muscle to recover and grow better.

Wiith CarbManager I would get to 45 minutes of cardio and I would feel like "that was 45 mins.?". I been starting to do an hour easily and could do much more.

I should mention that I don't use low carb diets. I eat somewhat healthy, ground turkey on white bread for lunch/dinner and breakfast I'll have cereal or waffles. I also drink a lot of Orange Juice and I think CarbManager seems to regulate the insulin better, because I don't get sleepy from a lot of carbs or unrefined sugar (like in fruits) now, whereas usually if I had a sandwich I would get sleepy from the carbs in the bread.

Only after taking it for 14 days, I have not noticed any other effect other than having plenty of energy for about 10-12 hours a day. (Especially when I do cardiovascular exercise) The lean muscle mass claim I think would be hard to measure. Because it takes a significant time to create that muscle mass, and it could be just as likely that your own exercise routine has contributed to it, as CarbManager has.

$50 is a bit expensive but it's not so expensive that a lot of people wouldn't buy it, which I'm sure was the idea.. get as much money from consumers as you can lol.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 16:59

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by faywin
They are offering a 14 day trial for just cost of shipping. I'm debating whether it's worth the $4.95 to try it. Has anybody tried it or know anything about the ingredients?
Only one practical advice, please, before you order, read carefully the order page. Even this fine print:

"Enroll now and get a Free 10-day supply of Carb Manager™. If you are enjoying the product, do nothing, and in 21 days we will send you a full one month supply of Carb Manager™ (after the completion of the your trial). We'll bill your credit card automatically for the members' only special price of $49.95 (+ $5.95 for shipping and handling). As a trial member to CarbManager regular shipments program you are not obligated to continue. Even if you decide to cancel, please keep the FREE trial as our gift to you. No commitments, no hassles. Cancel anytime."

It means, that if you do not cancel your "membership" attached to this "free offer", or if you are unable to cancel this membership in the short time (21 days from your "free stuff" order) they will AUTOMATICALLY bill you for one more month.

This is the REAL business:-)) Many people fail to read fine print and cancel.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 14:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/207/175 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress:
Default Any Problems with CarbManager?

I took my first CarbManager dose on a Wednesday. By Thursday evening, I was in the emergency room with extremely high blood pressure.

Frankly, I had been doing pretty good, losing about 25 lbs in 4 months with no supplements, but I thought that I'd give the free sample a try. It may have just been a coincidence, but I don't think that I'll be taking any more of this?

Anyone else experience any problems with CarbManager?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 14:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

The BEST NATURAL metabolism booster is coconut oil.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 10:27

Plan: Body by Jake
Stats: 161/169/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:
Default CarbManager

I have only used CarbManager for 3 days but I am definately hooked. I would not have spent 50 dollars a month on suppliments last year but this year I am tired of being fat and spend far more on things that don't work.

I noticed the first day that sugar was not as sweet, I seem to feel better. I like it and I am sure from just anearly start that I will stay on it. Later I can post how I have done weight wise.