Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 12:03
Sweet N' Sassy

Plan: --
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'5"
BF:MUCH too much :(
Progress: 61%
Default Hydroxycut & Xenadrine

Hello Everyone,

My friend suggested that I take Hydroxycut or Xenadrine along with my low carb diet to boost my weight loss. Has anyone out there taken these products while low carb dieting? What has your experience been? I should probably go to the store and check out the labels to see if they contain any forbidden ingredients.

Have a great day!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 12:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231/204/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I have tried Xenadrine (when it had ephedra in it) not sure if they sell it like that anymore. But I don't think it is a good idea because if I am not mistaken it has LOADS of Caffiene in it which has an adverse affect on some people. It gave me some serious jitters, and a really funny heart palputation...it was definatly a rush, but I don't think that is healthy!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 12:17

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I took Xenadrine two years ago (without Ephedra -- it's not sold in Canada, thank goodness). I thought at the time that it helped, but can't really be too sure since I was on the plan and exercising. I restarted January 10th and have been losing exactly, if not better, than in the past with no help from pills. The money I would spend on that goes now to rewards for me.

Vikki
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 12:43

Stats: 119/116/104 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I've taken both products but not while low carbing. For me, it kept me from craving carbs, gave me the adrenaline to run 7miles in the evening, and made me sweat like crazy. However, I noticed I became dependent on it (the way caffeine does) and once I went off them, I gained back some weight.
Now, I've realized it's much better to allow yourself to do everything naturally. I haven't taken either of them for almost a year now and am noticing I lose much, much quicker through Atkins lifetime eating plan.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 15:51

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default It's a WOL

There is enough adjustment in learning to live thinner that racing to some pre-defined number = weight may not be the greatest idea. I didn't get fat overnight and it's taking a while to learn to live thin. Pills won't help one little bit on that, and for sure, they do nothing to teach me HOW to live thin on an on-going basis.

Lots of other things that can use that money in my budget, including exercise clothing and equipment, supplements, better food, and new clothes. Of course, if money were no limit, maybe I'd think differently. But there's a LONG list of stuff I'd rather spend my money on.

Atkins WILL work, and it will work about as fast as you can manage the side effects of losing weight. And apart from the cost of the food, it's pretty much free.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 16:24
WONJ #7Snoopy Lover

Stats: 177/135/128 Female 5"4
BF:less than before
Progress: 86%

My sister uses Trimspa and really likes it. It does have caffiene so be prepared for that. It will take about a week to get use to.

She just loves it and tries to get me to take it.

It has Hoodia G in it which is good.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 17:20
Have A LC Margarita!

Plan: PMSF
Stats: 175/175/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

I tried Xenadrine EFX before. I got heart palpatations and anxiety attacks, and it didnt even help.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 17:26

Plan: Low carb / high Protein
Stats: 290/238/215 Male 6ft 2inc
BF:18.92
Progress: 69%

I tried the Hydroxycut when it had the ephedra in it and loved it !! not only did it help me lose waight but I had all the energy in the world. I never got the side effects like these people got at all. I go no more gittery then drinking 3 cups of coffie. Caffine does that. Since they took the ephedra out it is a wast of Money it will not work. I know that a lot of people are not for Ephedra but it has done wonders for me with out a single side effect
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-05, 15:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 157/152/130 Female 5ft. 4 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default hydroxycut and exenadrine

I too loved them with the ephedra. I have a friend who just started on a supplement called vasopro which does have the same benefits of the ephedra but is a man made form which is working wonders. I have placed my order for my own and cannot wait to try it. Trim-spa was a waste of money also.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-05, 02:31
Have A LC Margarita!

Plan: PMSF
Stats: 175/175/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

TRAE that VASOPRO stuff is dangerous- it is an asthma medication- this is from the website selling it:

Do not use this product unless a diagnosis of asthma has been made by a physician. Do not use if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, thyroid disease, diabetes, or difficulty in urination due to enlargement of the prostrate gland unless directed by a physician. Do not use this product if you have been hospitalized for asthma or if you are taking any prescription drug for asthma, unless directed by a physician. Do not continue to use this product, but seek medical assistance immediately if symptoms are not relieved within 1 hour or become worse. Some users of this product may experience nervousness, tremors, sleeplessness, nausea or loss of appetite. If these symptoms persist or become worse consult your physician. A persistent cough may be a sign of a serious condition. If cough persists for more than 1 week, tends to recur, or is accompanied by a fever, rash, or persistent headache, consult a physician. Do not take this product for persistent or chronic cough such as occurs with smoking, asthma, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema, or where cough is accompanied by excessive mucus (phlegm) unless directed by a physician.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 17:02
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanZero
I tried Xenadrine EFX before. I got heart palpatations and anxiety attacks, and it didnt even help.

Ditto! I used something similiar (metabolife, I think) years ago and 30 minutes later thought I was having a heart attack!